Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Re: 7900 GTX Retail experiences?

Seems the OC'd boards are not the only ones with the problems.

I'm on my second set of MSI 7900GTX's. These are not factory OC'd boards and I run them at stock speeds and voltage. They were purchased new as a pair from Newegg. The first set (3 days old) went belly up on the 3rd pass of 3DMark06 in the "Deep Freeze" test. I was running the 84.21 drivers. They exhibited the same symptoms that have been reported for the OC'd boards. The boards failed in the tests preceding "Deep Freeze" when I tried a few more passes. They reached the point where XP reported an infinite loop eror.

I uninstalled the drivers using Driver Cleaner. I tried the 84.43 drivers, uninstalled again and then tried the 91.31 drivers. The boards were totally hosed. Tried the boards individually under all 3 driver versions. No go. GPU temps are positively not a problem.

Stuck my old XFX 7800GTX OC's (which I fortunately hadn't sold yet) back in and they worked just fine in SLI under all 3 driver versions.

I RMA'd the boards and just received the replacements. I've added an auxillary dedicated graphics PSU. This is probably overkill but I'm trying to make sure I don't have any other problems.

My main point is that there seems to be a fundamental issue with these boards that may be more prevalent in OC'd boards but is not limited to them. I'm praying that the new pair has no problems. Otherwise i"m going to be living in RMA "land" for awhile. Even if these boards are good, when upgrade time comes it's going to be nearly impossible to sell these boards for a reasonable price given the reputation they've developed.
    ------------------------------------
    ASUS Z87-Pro
    Intel 4770K
    Zotac GTX770 AMP
    G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB
    ASKS Xonar
    Samsung 840 Pro 500GB
    Noctua NH-D14
    HAF X
    Windows 7 HP 64 bit

Hemet, California (Mandatory age 65 + area, like Palm Springs)

I've read an artical about this issue. It seems that it's not an Nvidia issue according to the artical but has to do with manufactures pusshing teh gpu's too much so these problems are built in. For some users underclocking their boards has seemd to help.Later revisions were supposed to have had this issue resolved.You may want to contact Nvidia directly as there was a person assigned to assisting consumers plagued by this. I'll attempt to find his contact information. I should keep it incase my own 7900GT's ever go on the fritz anyway.
    Though I have had them for about 3 months now with np they are just 7900GT's ASUS branded.

Quote Originally Posted by howieh60
    I've read an artical about this issue. It seems that it's not an Nvidia issue according to the artical but has to do with manufactures pusshing teh gpu's too much so these problems are built in. For some users underclocking their boards has seemd to help.Later revisions were supposed to have had this issue resolved.You may want to contact Nvidia directly as there was a person assigned to assisting consumers plagued by this. I'll attempt to find his contact information. I should keep it incase my own 7900GT's ever go on the fritz anyway.
    Though I have had them for about 3 months now with np they are just 7900GT's ASUS branded.
    An Nvidia contact would really be great. Thanks howieh60.
    ------------------------------------
    ASUS Z87-Pro
    Intel 4770K
    Zotac GTX770 AMP
    G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB
    ASKS Xonar
    Samsung 840 Pro 500GB
    Noctua NH-D14
    HAF X
    Windows 7 HP 64 bit

I have a BFG 7900gtx OC, First was DOA RMA'ed it to BFG, the replacement has been great for over a month now not a single problem, I watercooled mine from the start 37c idle 53c
    full load. No freezing in 3dmark06 no tearing in BF2.
    Out of 4 BFG cards 2 of them OC cards I have bought in the past, this is my first DOA.
    Get the second one tomorrow 9/11/06 for SLI. I hope it's fine.
    BFG is only 60 miles from me so the RMA only take's 2 days which is one good thing,LOL

UPDATE;9/12/06
    BAD NEWS
    Got the second BFG 7900gtx card lasted 12hrs and failed
    I think it's a heat issue the card gets hot it brought my case temps up 15 degrees fahrenheit
    that's just one card the other card was water cooled and has lasted over a month now,
    and I have 2, 120mm and 2, 80mm case fans.
    Last edited by USFORCES; 09-12-2006 at 12:01 PM.

I bought a XFX 7900GT DDR3 Extreme in August from PROVANTAGE.COM in prep for my new core2duo machine.

Put it together, and bam. Got video problems. Quake 4 stammered, artifacts, i exited and got the black flashing screen. HL2 massive artifacting. Auto Assault immediatly artifacts all over the place within seconds, then it starts freezing on and off and eventually the black flashing screen then system instability - have to restart.

Did research, found this stuff.

I figured provantage had old stock. So I filled out an RMA today and unfortunatly XFX does not do cross shipments. Which really does suck.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigrond
    I bought a XFX 7900GT DDR3 Extreme in August from PROVANTAGE.COM in prep for my new core2duo machine.

Put it together, and bam. Got video problems. Quake 4 stammered, artifacts, i exited and got the black flashing screen. HL2 massive artifacting. Auto Assault immediatly artifacts all over the place within seconds, then it starts freezing on and off and eventually the black flashing screen then system instability - have to restart.

I figured provantage had old stock. So I filled out an RMA today and unfortunatly XFX does not do cross shipments. Which really does suck.

You didn't get a replacement?

I got BFG and they have the lifetime warranty but your not suppose to change the way it's cooled,Any "tampering" (defined as any physical or software -firmware-
    modifications to the card including, but not limited to, replacing the fan/ heat sync and
    further overclocking or underclocking the card) will void your lifetime
    warranty (which covers the card for YOUR lifetime, not just the "lifetime
    of the product").
    I bought a water cooled from the factory BFG 6800ultra but your not allowed to do it I still water cool it the card will last alot longer.
    If it wasn't that BFG was so close to me I probley would of went with the evga which allows
    you to change the cooling and overclock under a lifetime warranty.
    I RMA'ed it to BFG today,wed and will get it back friday 2 days, If I were to RMA it to newegg over 10days.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigrond

Correction! If you speak to a supervisor, you can talk them into cross shiping you a card, however, they will send you a form to fillout, and they will want a copy of your ID and a credit card number, just incase you don't send the oldone back. That is waht I did, I explained to the how unhappy I was with this whole cituation, and that this was my work computer and canot be down for 3 weeks. I have the for and the RMA number, but I'm not so sure now if I should go ahead with this RMA, since I keep reding about this and people keep getting bad cards as replacements. I don't want to get stuck with a worst card than mine

My card runs 3dmark06 all the way trrough but when is done, windows xp is not responsive, and I get some serious video corruption, forcing me to manually reboot my PC. Also when Plays HL2 just fine, but FEAR it's another story, it plays fine but when I exit out to desktop, I get the same non responcive and video corruption in windows as I get when 3Dmark06 is completed.

Either way we look at it, we got screwed big time, and yes all the cards are made for nvidia and under nvidia's supervision by a Flextronics in Taiwan. The whole 7900 series has this problem, regardless whether or not they are overcloked.
    Asus A8N32-SLI (Bios 1205)
    AMD Athlon64 x2 4400+ (default)
    2 x 1GB OCZ DDR400 Platinum(OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K)
    XFX 7900GTX x1
    SB Audigy Platinum
    Enermax NoiseTaker 600W p/s (EG701AX-VE SFMA) (12v1@18A, 12v2@18A)
    Artic Freezer 64 cooler
    WinXp SP2
    AMD Athlon64 x2 driver 1.3.1
    Nforce4 Driver 6.85
    XFX Geforce Driver 84.56 (EVGA)

Quote Originally Posted by CrowbarHL2
    Correction! If you speak to a supervisor, you can talk them into cross shiping you a card, however, they will send you a form to fillout, and they will want a copy of your ID and a credit card number, just incase you don't send the oldone back. That is waht I did, I explained to the how unhappy I was with this whole cituation, and that this was my work computer and canot be down for 3 weeks. I have the for and the RMA number, but I'm not so sure now if I should go ahead with this RMA, since I keep reding about this and people keep getting bad cards as replacements. I don't want to get stuck with a worst card than mine

My card runs 3dmark06 all the way trrough but when is done, windows xp is not responsive, and I get some serious video corruption, forcing me to manually reboot my PC. Also when Plays HL2 just fine, but FEAR it's another story, it plays fine but when I exit out to desktop, I get the same non responcive and video corruption in windows as I get when 3Dmark06 is completed.

Either way we look at it, we got screwed big time, and yes all the cards are made for nvidia and under nvidia's supervision by a Flextronics in Taiwan. The whole 7900 series has this problem, regardless whether or not they are overcloked.

Got this response from XFX:
    "[ERIK_A - 2006/09/15] Hi Robert, All 7900GT replacement cards are the same specs as the cards you send in. We have upped the quality control on all outgoing cards and everything gets tested extensively before being shipped out. As far as cross-shipping it is not something we have readily available to offer and can only be authorized under a special set of circumstances, circumstances that your case atm does not meet."

My question was if they replaced cooling or memory, and my question wasn't really answered specifically. I don't know why they try to be secretive about it, very strange. As far as cross-shipping, I think you have to live farther away than the same state to do it.

I have quite a bunch more information about these defects.

Although i'm going to have been waiting about 2 weeks for my replacement, i've learned alot about what happend directly from XFX employee mouths.

At first, no one obviously had any idea they were sending out defective cards. When people started sending them back, they initially thought they were just defective GPUs. So they just RMAed back the same defective cards.

Once other companies were gettin the same stuff, like eVGA, who found out they were overclocking their cards too high, then they knew they were at fault. So eVGA cleaned up their high overclocking. However while eVGA overclocked at default delta frequencies, XFX actually adjusted some delta frequencies lower so that the GPU could handle higher GPU overclocks. So XFX thought they didn't have a problem, and eVGA was only at fault. So they continued to send out defected returns. This is why they've earned a worse reputation. Only until it they discovered the Deep Freeze issue that they realized there was a problem. It came clear that the 7900GTs had two problems. One, some companies were factory overclocking too high. Two, there was another currently unnanounced problem with the card that caused the 3DMark06 Deep Freeze demo to crash. This was essentially NVIDIAs fault, as all brands of 7900GTs had this problem. I've heard rumors that it was defective memory from China. The XFX employee wasn't at liberty to say, because NVIDIA still has to decide whether or not to make an official statement. It's not up to the brand names.

There are still 7900GTs in circle around the Globe. You have to watch out, don't buy from online retailers that are trying to sell off old stock.

Also. The deep freeze demo crash only happend after an average of 20-30 hours of constant load, concluded by XFX. I can agree with this, only because I ran extremely-intensive burn in programs that may have triggered whatever the problem was. I've also heard of reports that the card only continues to get worse after this problem is triggered, to the point of unplayability.

This is also the reason why defective cards test good in XFX labs. This is also why they burn in the new card they will return to you for 48 hours. It is rare, but sometimes old stock comes through their warehouse. Most of it is recently manufactured new cards. The XFX employee told me that in the whole time of defected 7900GTs, they've had about 12-15 people that had to have more than 1 RMA. This is believable, because most people are stupid or lazy. I believe most people don't know somethings wrong with their card, or they're so mad at getting another defective they'd go buy a new card.

In one example the XFX employee gave me, one person said the card would always crash about 2 hours into World of Warcraft. They tested it and tested it, and it always tested good. Doing burn ins over night, etc. IT's a highly unlikely story, so they were going to send him back his card. However one caring XFX employee volunteered to do 3 hours of overtime one day when everyone was gone, and he had his own world of warcraft account so he started playing in the office alone. Sure enough, after about an hour and a half it crashed. So he reinstalled drivers, software etc. And tried it again, crashed again. So they replaced his card.

It seems there's a certain random-factor in the defected 7900GTs. They sent that guy's card for the engineers to look at because it was a very weird case.

So they do care, but they take their time.

-Vigrond

Quote Originally Posted by Vigrond View Post

NVIDIA still has to decide whether or not to make an official statement. It's not up to the brand names.

-Vigrond
    Like I mentioned before, ALL the cards are made for NVIDIA by Flextronics to NVIDIA specs. Then NVIDIA reselles to the resellers (XFX, EVGA, etc.). When a manufacturer has that big of a contract (Flextronics), the customer (nvidia) has some control over the QC. These cards were obviously rushed out the door to meat a deadline, and were not tested properly (nvidia's dead line). Specially since the have changed form factor to 90nm, when this happens things change and the componet can behave differently, therefore requiring more time for testing and burning to make sure it works the way it's designed to. I've worked in environments like this one, and the customer always has a QC staff on site full time to monitor the manufacture of their product. XFX, evga and the others just slap thier stickers, overclock, and box. This companies have always overcloked the nvidia cards with out a problem. nvidia should have notified them of the limitations of this series. I think nvidia is 100% responsible of this defective product that has not delivered what people have paid for. nvidia should step up to the plate, and make an official "recall" of these cards.

This whole ordeal has been handled so poorly on their part, that by last quarter next year, I'll be looking for what ever solution AMD/ATI will be offering, and go ATI all the way. nvidia can take their products and chub them, they won't be getting my hard earned money anymore, and I hope those of you that have gone thru this BS, will consider other options on their next upgrade to send nvidia a message. After all, we are the ones making them all that money!
    Asus A8N32-SLI (Bios 1205)
    AMD Athlon64 x2 4400+ (default)
    2 x 1GB OCZ DDR400 Platinum(OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K)
    XFX 7900GTX x1
    SB Audigy Platinum
    Enermax NoiseTaker 600W p/s (EG701AX-VE SFMA) (12v1@18A, 12v2@18A)
    Artic Freezer 64 cooler
    WinXp SP2
    AMD Athlon64 x2 driver 1.3.1
    Nforce4 Driver 6.85
    XFX Geforce Driver 84.56 (EVGA)

*sigh* - yet another disillusioned 7900GTX owner here . I bought a stock speed 650/800 XFX 7900 GTX 512MB a couple of weeks ago from a store in Melbourne, Australia.

As seems to be the case with the broken versions of these cards, it crashed on 3DMark06 (in the deep freeze test) and 3DMark01 (during the point sprite test). The Luna demo from NVidia also caused it to go nuts. All at stock speed, out of the box

My PC is has a core 2 processor, running XP pro. At first I thought it might be a problem with the dual core proc so I downloaded the latest NVidia drivers, turned off all the threading enhancements as specified in their release notes, downloaded & installed the MS patch - everything possible - I really wanted to believe that it was something other than the video card :/ Unfortunately nothing helped.

After all that, I tried underclocking the card using the coolbits tweak, but found that I needed to go down to at least 500MHz core/500(1000)MHz RAM before it stopped putting random coloured 'snow' on the screen during the self test in the NVidia control panel, and *even then* deep freeze would still crash.

I took it back to the store today and the assistant there said that they probably wouldn't be able to replace it with the exact same model since it was an end-of-line card. hmmm.. It seems like there are some places that are still selling faulty stock Best to be careful if you're going to buy one of these cards I think.

Hopefully I'll have the replacement tomorrow - fingers crossed that it works better than the first.

*EDIT*: the replacement card was a 665MHz XFX and so far it's been rock solid. The new card runs 3DMark06/deep freeze with no issues and seems fine with everything else I've tried too. Here's hoping it stays that way.
    Last edited by gundy; 10-24-2006 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Information about replacement card

Just ran a used 2 mos old PNY 7900GTX for a month and sold it,ran flawless.
    Purchased 2 GTO's for Sli

Quote Originally Posted by gundy View Post
    *sigh* - yet another disillusioned 7900GTX owner here . I bought a stock speed 650/800 XFX 7900 GTX 512MB a couple of weeks ago from a store in Melbourne, Australia.

As seems to be the case with the broken versions of these cards, it crashed on 3DMark06 (in the deep freeze test) and 3DMark01 (during the point sprite test). The Luna demo from NVidia also caused it to go nuts. All at stock speed, out of the box

My PC is has a core 2 processor, running XP pro. At first I thought it might be a problem with the dual core proc so I downloaded the latest NVidia drivers, turned off all the threading enhancements as specified in their release notes, downloaded & installed the MS patch - everything possible - I really wanted to believe that it was something other than the video card :/ Unfortunately nothing helped.

After all that, I tried underclocking the card using the coolbits tweak, but found that I needed to go down to at least 500MHz core/500(1000)MHz RAM before it stopped putting random coloured 'snow' on the screen during the self test in the NVidia control panel, and *even then* deep freeze would still crash.

I took it back to the store today and the assistant there said that they probably wouldn't be able to replace it with the exact same model since it was an end-of-line card. hmmm.. It seems like there are some places that are still selling faulty stock Best to be careful if you're going to buy one of these cards I think.

Hopefully I'll have the replacement tomorrow - fingers crossed that it works better than the first.

*EDIT*: the replacement card was a 665MHz XFX and so far it's been rock solid. The new card runs 3DMark06/deep freeze with no issues and seems fine with everything else I've tried too. Here's hoping it stays that way.
    Hi im also in Melb and have a 7900gtx and im having problems in BF2 with graphic corruptions,
    what did they do with your card ? did you have to take it back to multi media in Nunawading, and did they swap it for a new card. and 1 last question how do you tell if you have an over clocked card ?
    Cheers
    Phil

I have two XFX Geforce 7900GTX XXX Extreme Edition (OC 700MHz Core / 1.8GHz Memory) graphical cards in SLI. Note: The top card is very close to the Creative X-Fi sound card resulting in less than 5mm of space between them. I have been experiencing the following problems since I bought the computer back in March (Received in July):

1)Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
    - White pixels flickering across textures (cars/buildings/tactical map)
    2)Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion
    - Black lines flickering across the screen when HDR is enabled and only when looking at water
    3)Supreme Commander Beta
    - White pixels flickering across textures (land masses only)
    4)Company of Heroes
    - Terrain textures flash rapidly when SLI is enabled
    5)Star Wars Empire At War
    - Water flashes rapidly when SLI is enabled
    6)Battlefield 2
    - Sometimes flashing lines appear through objects and shoot into the heavens

So I called XFX about these issues and I was told to do the following:

A)Determine the idle and under load temperatures with the case panels on and off

Result: The idle temperature of the cards were 55C for the top card and 50C for the bottom card = 50C. The under load temperature of the cards using the above programs were 80C - 92C for the top card and 70 - 80C for the bottom card. With the panels removed, the temperature varied by only 2 - 3C and the problems still occurred.

B)Remove the cards and test each separately in both PCI-E slots

Results: So far I have only tested the bottom card in the bottom PCI-E slot and have found that all of the problems experienced in the above games no longer occur except for the white flickering in Supreme Commander Beta. It seems to start occurring around 73C and then worsened as time goes on. It goes away when I underclock the card to 650MHz Core/1.6GHz Memory and does not return even when the temperature hits +80C. I also ran 3DMark06 Professional and had no graphical problems appear. I think my score for the card was 5700 something.

Next I'm going to test the card in the top PCI-E slot with and without the sound card present as well as the other graphic card in both PCI-E slots with and without sound card. If anyone could shed some light on my problems, are having similar problems, or have any advice whatsoever I would greatly appreciate the input.

Here are various screenshots of the graphical corruptions I'm experiencing.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion

Supreme Commander Beta

3DMark06