Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Re: Conroe Es @ Xs -Goodbye to my X2 and AM2

Quote Originally Posted by Drisler
    Holy shit!
    See what I mean?

Its like this you see.......Intel can do a lot of R&D...not saying thats a bad thing. They look at the current software and projected future software and see what instruction sets the use and the optimized thier architecture around that provideing faster results....uhm its a good thing as long as AMD answers with a different core not just adding DDR2 and a PCI-E controller. This is the Same reason why ATI put like 48 pixel shader processors in thier cards cuz the projected games will use more pixel shaders than vertex shaders...not to mention pixel shaders are highly programamble making it better for physics etc. While a general purpose CPU is not scalable the way a gpu is you cannot just add more processors you can optimised the pipeline for that instruction set. So yeah the Conroe is gonna smoke the AMD's for a year or two competition is a ood thing.

When is everyone going to learn? AMD = INTEL

The difference? $AMD<$INTEL

If you want to pay for the Intel name, be my guest. I, on the otherhand, am saving up for a house and don't have the $$$ to waist on name brands.

Ok, I have had just about enough of this crap. First of all, I am not manufacturer biased, I do have a dual proc intel system running along with a crapload of intel processors. Two, a chip is a chip, if it gets the job done then I am happy. *However* there is a reason I have a crapload of intell processors sitting in my attic not being used the main reason for this is the horrable architecture of these chips, they have seriouse issues with there floating point computation (May be due to the extremely long pipe) wich leads to mis reading and directing drives (this issue becomes more apperent when running raid0 and data just "dissapears" or is completely scrambled) I got tired of replacing hard drives in servers due to crappy intel chips. The data is real sloppy (not all intel chips may be this way, just the ones I have used... Which is alot) Amd has its own issues and problems, however, they seem to understand that ultra long pipes dont perform as well and higher clock frequincies may not meen better performance. I dont care how many GHZ you chip claims to have if mine only has half that and works properly. That being said, I am interested to see what the new conroe chips can do (I am sure I will get to play with one) but rulling out the new AM2 socket procs is just stupid, shrinking to a 65nm process will allow AMD to use two memory controllers and two hypertransport busses among other things, quad channel memory anyone? If you think AMD is just going to say "Oh wow, a new architecture from intel... Well guess we'll just fold and go home after we have been dominating the market for the last four years. No point in competing now the new conroe chip is out" Gimme a break, to rule out amd now would be to say that intel or ati was finished eaght months ago. Think about it, they are competitors which meens after the conroe chip comes out amd will fire back with something better, then intel, then amd and so on. If you fan boys had stoped to take a look at the market over the last 20 years you would see that this is how it works AND untill some other company comes allong and knocks them both off there asses these are realy the only two competitors in the consumer (As in not buisness) processor market meening niether one is going to fold. Just like ATI and Nvidia.
    What I am waiting for is someone else to enter the arena with something newer and better than both these companies...

Quote Originally Posted by paindevine
    When is everyone going to learn? AMD = INTEL

The difference? $AMD<$INTEL

If you want to pay for the Intel name, be my guest. I, on the otherhand, am saving up for a house and don't have the $$$ to waist on name brands.
    aren't intel and amd both name brands? i had no idea you could buy generic processors.

to suggest amd is generic is almost a slap in the face to everyone on this forum.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

http://sharikou.blogspot.com/

just saw this link at [H]. this link is about as trust worthy as the original link in the first post, but it does offer some good food for thought, i suggest a full read through.

^ Interesting, but its AMD fanboi approach kinda undermines its credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by SuBX3r0
    aren't intel and amd both name brands? i had no idea you could buy generic processors.

to suggest amd is generic is almost a slap in the face to everyone on this forum.

pfft... I've always considered AMD a Generic. They are product produced as an alternative to INTEL chips. They are not a sepperate entity like Mac processors are.

And just like I buy Generic Pees at the grocery store because there is no difference between them and Delmonte once I got them in the pot... I buy AMD because there is also no difference between Intel and AMD once I have them on the board. Any speed differences between the 2 manufacturers is so negligable as not to be worth mentioning anywhere else but fanboy discussions like this. You're going to have Intel dudes arguing one way and AMD dudes arguing the other... and the fact is they all are getting the same performance.

Quote Originally Posted by paindevine
    pfft... I've always considered AMD a Generic. They are product produced as an alternative to INTEL chips. They are not a sepperate entity like Mac processors are.

And just like I buy Generic Pees at the grocery store because there is no difference between them and Delmonte once I got them in the pot... I buy AMD because there is also no difference between Intel and AMD once I have them on the board. Any speed differences between the 2 manufacturers is so negligable as not to be worth mentioning anywhere else but fanboy discussions like this. You're going to have Intel dudes arguing one way and AMD dudes arguing the other... and the fact is they all are getting the same performance.
    you are making yourself sound very uneducated as far as computers go.

there is a difference in speed between amd and intel, there are benchmarks and real world results to back that up.

amd and intel both use very different architecture in their cpu's and support some very different technologies. almost nothing about the two cpu makers is the same other than x86 and some instruction sets.

amd is far from generic pal, they actually have surpassed intel in sales lately as well as raw speed, power consumption, and new technologies.

they are not an alternative to intel, they are competition for intel and vice versa.

this is the most rediculous statement i've ever heard somebody who obviously doesn't know a computer from his microwave say. and what exactly are mac processors? you realise ibm produced the cpu's for apple right? and now intel supplies them their chips. they could just as easily decided to use amd's chips.

so what exactl;y makes ibm's cpu's not generic? i assure you amd sells many more cpu's than they did. there are plenty of other cpu makers as well, smaller sure, but generic? i doubt it.

the boundaries to entering such a business are so steap that there is no room for a generic cpu maker, to even say there is just proves you have no idea what you're talking about.

but please, entertain us some more with your uninformered hullabaloo.

Back in the early 1980's, Intel 'second sourced' production of 8086 & 8088 CPUs to AMD in order to win the IBM PC contract.

Without AMD, we'd all be using MACs.

Quote Originally Posted by SuBX3r0
    you are making yourself sound very uneducated as far as computers go.

there is a difference in speed between amd and intel, there are benchmarks and real world results to back that up.

amd and intel both use very different architecture in their cpu's and support some very different technologies. almost nothing about the two cpu makers is the same other than x86 and some instruction sets.

amd is far from generic pal, they actually have surpassed intel in sales lately as well as raw speed, power consumption, and new technologies.

they are not an alternative to intel, they are competition for intel and vice versa.

this is the most rediculous statement i've ever heard somebody who obviously doesn't know a computer from his microwave say. and what exactly are mac processors? you realise ibm produced the cpu's for apple right? and now intel supplies them their chips. they could just as easily decided to use amd's chips.

so what exactl;y makes ibm's cpu's not generic? i assure you amd sells many more cpu's than they did. there are plenty of other cpu makers as well, smaller sure, but generic? i doubt it.

the boundaries to entering such a business are so steap that there is no room for a generic cpu maker, to even say there is just proves you have no idea what you're talking about.

but please, entertain us some more with your uninformered hullabaloo.
    I think the point he was trying to make is like I said earlier, a chip is a chip... Intel and Amd chips may have differences, but they both do the same thing in the microwave. PS PainDivine, placing your processor in the mircowave for 30 seconds makes it go faster, realy depends on the microwave dont put it in there for too long or you will let the magic smoke out of it, and its realy hard to get it back in there.

If AMD can put out AM2 chips which are cheaper than Intel's offering. I will definately get AM2. I don't think that to regular users like me who occasional game and do excel macros need that extra performance from intel which comes with such a large price tag and premium. I can't imaging intel offering anything affordable.

I paid 90 bux for t-bred b in 2003 which clocked to 2.2 ghz. I find even amd 64 too expensive for my taste I think intel's 630 now at 200 bux canadian is $$$ as hell.

Yes, I am very cheap. ha ha
    Last edited by nsx29; 04-13-2006 at 01:09 AM.

It is way too early to be making any decisions about your next cpu.
    First and foremost, their are no release chips that have been tested. None, zip nada. Period.
    I personally need to see how the intel chips work when the 4 meg cache isn't large enough and the FSB is needed.

2nd and probably more important, the new cpu's will mostly be running 64-bit OS's and the applications will soon follow. The intel chips EM64T supports 64bit processing, but do not support all the instructions and don't have the extra registers of the A64's. I'm fairly sure any A64 will out run the new Intels when running 64-bit programs. I 'm very anxiously awaiting the 65nm A64's. Then we will know what is what. My current A64's are more than adaquate til then.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan
    It is way too early to be making any decisions about your next cpu.
    First and foremost, their are no release chips that have been tested. None, zip nada. Period.
    I personally need to see how the intel chips work when the 4 meg cache isn't large enough and the FSB is needed.

2nd and probably more important, the new cpu's will mostly be running 64-bit OS's and the applications will soon follow. The intel chips EM64T supports 64bit processing, but do not support all the instructions and don't have the extra registers of the A64's. I'm fairly sure any A64 will out run the new Intels when running 64-bit programs. I 'm very anxiously awaiting the 65nm A64's. Then we will know what is what. My current A64's are more than adaquate til then.
    According to wikipedia, the difference between A64 and EMT64 is negligible to the point that there literally is no difference in terms of features usable.

Now, what I didn't find in wikipedia is that fact that when Intel released x86_64 to answer AMDs x86_64, Microsoft jerked AMD up and told it to get in the back seat. Pretty much sums up how that happened. Hell, you've got the number one software giant charging one-machine-use software $150 wholesale, and retail $300 wholesale per pop....and is universally considered the only standard...everybody has to buy it....

Ha, ha. Not to mention how come nobody wondered Dell could sell a halfway decent computer for $400 and include Windows XP. Here you go, Intel, you can use our operating system free of charge for Dell price-point incentives...

Riiiight.

When are you guys going to learn? Intel=Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by SSV
    Psst >

Got a calendar? What is Saturday?

Hook, line & sinker.

'Course I know you guys were just playing along .....

Hell yea, Cant wait for fishing season.