Video editing need capture card?

Do I need to buy a video capture card? I have a dv camcorder and Sony vegas studio software.

Re: Video editing need capture card?

Quote Originally Posted by timh5
    Do I need to buy a video capture card? I have a dv camcorder and Sony vegas studio software.
    1. Double check that your camera came with either an AV or DV cable that will allow you to import your captured images into the computer. The majority of AV cables will have a component (Y,R,W) tri plug that will require some kind of capture device. The majority of DV cables will have some kind of RGB and or USB/Firewire(on the Sony's) input. This allows a direct digital connection into your computer.

2. If neither are present you should still have a USB/Firewire connectivity cable that will allow you to move content from the camera to the computer.

Hope this helps.
    Butters.
    Heatware
    EbayFeedback under snowxracer85
    PM me for more info OR
    snowxracer85@hotmail.com

Re: Video editing need capture card?

You probably have many options, but you do NOT need a capture card.

I have a Canon Optura 20 miniDV camcorder. It has a USB2 cable, AV cable/s, s-Video as well as firewire.

I've found that all of them work reasonably well, but firewire seems to work the best for me for digital-to-digital capture using your software of choice.

I also can use my camcorder as an analog-to-digital pass-through. I hook up a camcorder or whatever to my camcorder using the AV cables, then I plug the firewire into my computer and can capture VHS or VHS-C tapes.