Hybrid View

Good wireless combo?

Well I'm finally getting wireless for myself, becuase im tired of my 40ft. cord running through the house lol. I've been searching on Newegg and I'm just wondering what is a good wireless router and adapter. I was looking at these two:

Adapter:
    D-Link DWL-AG530 PCI Tri-Mode Dualband Wireless Adapter

Router:
    D-Link DI-634M IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless 108G MIMO Router

Is that a good combo, or not? Just wondering what your suggestions are. Oh, and I have cable, if that makes a difference.

Re: Good wireless combo?

Looks good to me.

That is a very nice router, I've installed several of them for customers. Excellent signal coverage, fast, and no issues.

If there is any way to keep using the cable, that would still be better though.

If you have a basement or crawlspace, it's really easy to drill holes through the floor near the baseboards and run the cable down below.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    If there is any way to keep using the cable, that would still be better though.

If you have a basement or crawlspace, it's really easy to drill holes through the floor near the baseboards and run the cable down below.
    Indeed. I am using 2 - 100ft ehternet thought the holes in the basement. Yet, I use the wireless only for the laptop.

Chuck

I wish I could. But I am moving my room upstairs, and my parents wont let me drill any holes . I've even tried to get my dad to do some wireing through the walls. But he wont. So I have to go wireless.

Well, in that case your solution looks good.

Just remember to enable WPA Security.

Hey just another quick question, will I still have to have a software firewall like Zonalarm now that I'll have a hardware firewall??

Quote Originally Posted by pedinski_s
    Hey just another quick question, will I still have to have a software firewall like Zonalarm now that I'll have a hardware firewall??
    That's a matter of personal preference. I haven't used a software firewall in years because I've had routers. Never had a problem.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Quote Originally Posted by pedinski_s
    Like Lenny says, no problem here either. Frankly, I am surprised that I haven't even use any software firewall since I learned routers does that (make sure you disable the ping too). All I run is the anti-virus software. I don't even run the anti-spyware or anti-adware (as I should though). Helps a lot with less "stuff" running in the background.

Chuck

^ Is there a way to stop Windows XP nagging you if you don't have a firewall running?

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore
    ^ Is there a way to stop Windows XP nagging you if you don't have a firewall running?
    In Control Panel run Security Center. Somewhere in there (on the left I think) you can click something to control how Windows alerts you.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Yup, you go to Control Panel - Security - click the Firewall tab - then click Recomendations. In there check the box that says you are monitoring a firewall yourself.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore
    Start -> Run -> services.msc

Find "Security Center", stop the service, and set start mode to Manual.

i5 3570k Windows 7 x64 gaming rig, Intel NUC SageTV server (2TB iSCSI storage), Intel i3 HTPC

^ Ahaaa...! thanks.