Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thumbs up Re: The best antivirus

Got the Kaspersky updates set at 6 hours now. This seems like the best setting for me to keep my computer safe and not bother me when I'm online for a long time.

Also, looks like my 30-day trial will be over tomorrow and I will definitely be purchasing!

Re: The best antivirus

Does anyone know if the KIs6 price be same as kav 5 pro price?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis
    Does anyone know if the KIs6 price be same as kav 5 pro price?
    If you have a current version 5 licence, you can use it with version 6 when released. If you purchase a version 6 licence, I believe it will entitle you to run 2 copies on your lan (say, desktop and laptop). Not sure what the pricing will be, but I guess KIS6 will be about the same price as KAV 5 Pro is now.

Ned

Thumbs up Re: The best antivirus

Just ordered KAV 5 for a 2-year license.

Question Re: The best antivirus

Anyone know why I have to right-click on the Kaspersky thing in the task bar and open twice before it opens?

FWIW my corporate office just dumped McAfee 8.0i for Trend Micro.

They deployed it via HP's Radia. About 4000 machines under their watch.

I can't tell when it's running; like I could McAfee.
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

As posted in the past, I used Norton Security Suite as a paid protector. Because of all the problems and invasiveness with their programs, I dropped them hard last year and have been experimenting with all the free programs availible and alot of the trial ones.

Thruout I have and continue to use spywareblaster & spybot S&D in what I consider the secondary confirmation mode.

I like spywareblaster because you don't have to do anything but keep it updated and works for you in the background to help prevent infection.

I like Spybot because it has been extremly effective in removing the rogue program when it is detected without alot of searching for removal instructions. If it dectects something, it will generally remove it on it's own.

I have used MS windows security center from the get go up untill May 5, 2006 when I switched to the beta version of Windows Defender (Giant). Windows has not shown to detect anything, whether it is because the other programs caught it first, I'll never know, but I do know that Bitdefender9 (which I switched to in March) did catch and quantine Zorro.A. on March 19 because of the log. I still still see nothing in the MS log files evan tho it is scheduled to scan an hour earlier than BD9.

Bitdefender9 seems to be exremely effective and will delete suspect cookies for you.
    It does check for updates every hour, which brings me to what I don't like about it. It is scheduled to run once at 0300 every morning, which it does, but during the course of the day during it's hourly update, apparantly if it has an update it will start the scan by itself evan tho I have low priority checked. This is I suppose a good thing but I find that it occurs alot while I'm working on video files and I have to stop the scan. When I work on video files I want the entire resources devoted to the video process. Over all I find this program very effective but does take well over an hour to scan, which brings me to the second problem; I have it checked to scan just "C" drive but it scans all the harddrives and I have yet to find a way to have it scan just what I tell it to do.

All this information is provided to lead you into the following scenerio of a recent unwanted apparant trojan that did get installed. As I stated earlier Windows Defender was installed on May 5, 2006. A few days ago I attempted to update my drivers with SiS (Silicon Integrated Systems), I was unable to access their website so doing a search I came accross three different sites that would scan your computer for free to advise you of outdated drivers. I tried all three of them, yes they all would scan your computer and advise you but they all wanted money to download the latest drivers. I did not opt for this. Apparantly one of them installed a trojan as when I got home from work the next day Bitdefender was advising that it was partially disabled, hell I couldn't evan open it. Since I couldn't open it and scan I opted to do a restore, it would not restore to the day before or the day before that or the day before that; I had to go back to May 5, the time before I installed Windows Defender. All this put me behind on the computer so haven't had time to research yet what exactly occured or which site installed the problem. Give me time and I will advise later unless someone has experienced the same problem and can post for all our knowledge.

Will post the three sites a little later in the day and moderator may edit if so desiring, do understand the implications of posting.
    Dragons Are Alive And Well

Just look at my hairdo!!

Quote Originally Posted by cwl7454
    Will post the three sites a little later in the day and moderator may edit if so desiring, do understand the implications of posting.
    Hi cwl7454,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. If you would like to PM me with details (links) of the 3 sites, I can pass them on to the appropriate authorities for further investigation (if you know for sure which of the 3 sites was the offender, that would help).

We'd rather you didn't post live links to sites known or suspected of distributing malwares in the forum. Obviously it's a delicate balance between advising other users of potentially dangerous sites, and drawing unnecessary attention to them

In addition to the defenses you already have (which are excellent), you may also like to consider using a HOSTS file:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

This hosts file gets regularly updated and is specifically designed to block access to domains, such as the ones you describe, that are known to be hosting and/or distributing exploits and malware. The sites to which you refer may already be in their list - if not, they will investigate and add them if warranted.

Regards,

Ned

Saturday AM Bit defender came up with the firewall disabled. This time I was able to show but unable to "check" the box to re turn it back on.

Went to BD site for a live chat on the problem, per their instructions downloaded a file, ran it and ferded results to them. This is their reply:

Thank you for the information submitted.

In order to overcome this situation please follow this task:

1. Uninstall the following applications:

CCleaner
    Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 (there is a known incompatibility between
    BD and
    SB)

SpywareBlaster v3.5.1

2. Update BitDefender

Love the fact that I can do a live chat for troubleshooting problems; but; besides Norton Security Suite this is the only other one that has had conflicts with S&D and Spywareblaster.
    That disappoints me. I realize that these componies think that they have the ultimate program and that theirs is the only one you need, but time and testimonials has shown that is not the case.

Once again it looks like I will probably go back to the free ones like sygate and AVG.

Ned still haven't had the time to go back and find the other two sites. In time, in time.

Thanks for the reply in the meantime.

Just look at my hairdo!!

Lightbulb Re: The best antivirus

Here are some interesting links:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showt...light=Defender

http://forums.spybot.info/archive/index.php/t-396.html

Seems if there really is a problem, it at least most likely isn't with the free on-demand scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by SkaarjMaster

Oh, almost forgot to say that I have a powerful PC and a beautiful wife.
    Problem with that is one of them is not getting used enough, lol!

Had Norton for two years with no problems, then last week got hit with regperf.exe. Norton couldn't find it, Microsoft couldn't find it and Zone alarm found it but ending up just hiding it.
    Googled it and downloaded Prevx1. Cleaned it up in no time.

Just read an interesting thread about a known issue with Symantic antivirus programs and back-door bugs on Tom's Hardware Guide. Guess systemworks 2006 is out of the question...
    Last edited by TLH_Gunslinger; 05-26-2006 at 06:18 PM.
    anthon 3000/400fsb
    Shuttle AN35-n
    2x512 corsair xms 3500
    fsb 200@11.5

Latest update:

AM of 28th; updated drivers and all programs that I could. Burned a couple of DVD's; everything running smooth.
    AM of 29th; computer running super, super slow. How slow do you ask? So slow that I could have made a pot of coffee and drank the entire pot by the time a programm loaded.
    First thought was that one of the drivers I downloaded previously caused the problem. Did a restore back to the 28th, but no help.
    Did an MSconfig and went into diagnostic mode; machine whirled thru the loading and opening of programs. Went into selective startup. Because of previous conflicts and continual updates by Bitdefender 9 Suite, started by uninstalling it. No help; Started turning off startup programs one by one. 13th program later, found the problem. A month ago had removed Windows defender Beta, because of problems and reinstalled Microsoft Anti spyware program (Giant). Either because of the update to it, removal of the NP recycler or bitdefender update conflicting or altering it caused the slow down. Final result: uninstalled and deleted gcas and bitdefender! Computer back to high speed now.

Have gone back to the free ones, once again.

Spyware blaster
    Spybot S&D
    AVG
    Avast

Don't know what it is with these companies that provide the suites; Norton, Bitdefender, I get the impression that they think that their's is the only one you need and will screw with any one else's that you have on your machine in order for you to uninstall them.
    For me, their thinking works just the opposite. Have used spyware blaster and spybot from the beginning and will continue to use them and uninstall anything that conflicts with them.
    While I still consider Microworld escan to be the best at detecting and removing, especially hidden files, can't use it because it keeps deleting my Quicken files as spyware.

Hope this info helps somebody, somewhere along the line.

Will still keep on trying different programs. Thinking about moving into the reg cleaner programs or maybe firewall programs to experiment with.
    Last edited by cwl7454; 06-03-2006 at 05:10 AM. Reason: added info

Just look at my hairdo!!

skaarjmaster, thanks for the links.
    Just went over to check them out and I see that this has been an ongoing problem since 2002 and it seems that noone has come up with any definitive reason as to why BD acts the way it does or they act the way they do.
    Either way they lost another customer, as both Norton and Bitdefender are on my "Forever Blocked, remove any and all files" list.

Just look at my hairdo!!

Quote Originally Posted by andreicosminus
    Which antivirus do you recommend? (less resources, more efficiency).
    Kaspersky.

Why?

Finally pulled the trigger and Norton AV is gone last night. Followed all the deleting protocols listed in the Kaspersky FAQ - but I used a different registry cleaner. Installed Kaspersky AV trial. Did an update and ran it.

Kaspersky AV found a piece od Adware I knew about and a trojan that I did not know about... and that Norton missed many times (File created in Jan.)

The bonus is that even before the system scan I rebooted the PC several times and boot speed improved by 30% with Norton AV gone... and I mean only their AV. I do not have Systemworks.

Not waiting for the trial to end. Going to buy it and keep it for a while.

Lightbulb Re: The best antivirus

You might as well wait for the trial to end as it's free days and it will be longer before you have to renew. I thought about buying it at first as well, but then I said why not get 30 free days.