Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: The best antivirus

Quote Originally Posted by SkaarjMaster
    You might as well wait for the trial to end as it's free days and it will be longer before you have to renew. I thought about buying it at first as well, but then I said why not get 30 free days.
    I hear you. But I have the money now... I don't want to blow it on a tempting SATA external enclosure or something else

It is not often I appreciate how good a piece of software works to buy it. This is a well thought out and implemented program.

Thanks for the advice

If you buy a key now, you can install the key when the trial expires - keys give you 1 year from the date you install/activate them, not from the purchase date

Oh, and glad you like Kaspersky - a fine choice

Ned

I see that cwl7454 had some problems with Bitdefender. I have been using Bitdefender 9 Standard (not their suite) for several months now with no problems. It seems to be quite unobtrusive. It updates frequently, but it has never started a scan without me asking it to, unlike cwl7454's experience.

I had used Norton AV for years but will never do so again - I guess the Corporate version is decent, but the home user stuff is not at all, IMHO.

So, I use Bitdefender 9 for my AV, Kerio for my firewall, plus a DSL router for a hardware firewall, and also use SpyBot, Spyware Blaster and Spy Sweeper. Common sense helps, too, but I think the programs and firewalls are essential as well.

Oh, and I also use Ad Muncher which takes care off all of the nuisance ads on sites.

Holly

I started off praising highly Bitdefender 9 suite but then trashed it because of the apparant problems. If you drop down to "pcacme" thread you will see there the post by me of what could have been the problem all along, BUT, bitdefender did not catch the trojan in it's own folder.
    Only Avast in the "thorough mode" caught it. When or how it was installed/infected will always be a mystery to me, because after the first problem with Bitdefender, the downloaded troubleshooting program from bitdefender was installed, ran and sent to bitdefender themselves. They did not catch anything or give an indication of what the problem was.
    I,m not going to trash them but am disappointed in the lack of the results.
    Dragons Are Alive And Well

Just look at my hairdo!!

It is worrying that Bitdefender was unable to detect the virus your machine was infected with. Perhaps the best bet is to run two AV programs?? I think I am going to download the free version of Avast and see if it detects something that Bitdefender has not.

Holly

Quote Originally Posted by OakIris
    It is worrying that Bitdefender was unable to detect the virus your machine was infected with. Perhaps the best bet is to run two AV programs?? I think I am going to download the free version of Avast and see if it detects something that Bitdefender has not.

Holly
    Hummmm...

Will Avast play nice with Kapersky AV if I want to useit as a scanning backup?

I have noticed on kaspersky every file it checks goes into the windows file cache reducing memory available and flushing more files out so reducing performance.

It becomes a much bigger problem of course when using large files such as multimedia files or dvd images, normally these files wouldnt be cached but when I am using kaspersky real time file scanner they are so if I am burning a 4gig dvd image then it effectively uses a load of swap to cache it, this obviously causes serious performance issues.

Is there any anti virus apps that dont cache what they scan?

Quote Originally Posted by eoniverse
    Hummmm...

Will Avast play nice with Kapersky AV if I want to useit as a scanning backup?
    You do not want to run two on-access scanners. They probably won't even run. for example, one box here accidentally has Avast and Kasperskey both enabled, and on startup, Avast launches a pop-up notification that it will not start.

When you use two anti-virus, use one for on-access full time use, and turn that off on the other one. Just use it to double-check and manually scan files with the context menu.

Also, on full system scans, each anti-malware product will find the contents of all of the other products "virus chest" or whatever the "Safe Folder" is that malware is moved to. Not only will Avast find and report Kasperskey's, but will find Adaware's, Spybot's, which finds Windows DEfender's etc. etc. So you have to enter those folders into the exceptions in the scan settings, or just plan on being there to tell it to ignore when the scan finds it.

Thank you for the tip, Senor Panadero. I wondered whether or not there might be a conflict when two AV programs were running.

I will set up Avast so that it doesn't start with Windows and just perform manual scans with it.

Holly

hey I'm new here on this forum, but would offer my two cents worth for what anyone may care!

there are two ways to approach antivirus/spyware.. basically what works thats free and what works that you pay for.

as for our systems at home and the systems that we bring home to fix for friends who are not pc savvy other than clicking willy-nilly, we prefer items that do a reputable job and are easy to update. as i said, for our friends who are not as savvy, ease of use if often the most important thing for keeping extra towers off your cell mail

for us we use the following:
    ccleaner -- great for what it does
    adaware - i dont run it often any longer, but it does occasionally find something others miss
    spybot -- again, like ccleaner its good at what it does, altho recently i have gotten disgusted on updates that wont download in a reasonable amount of time
    avg professional -- this is a great program, i have been very happy with how it runs, how thorough it is and how responsive the update team is
    additionally, i also run adwatch, i know i know, it isnt free. but it does do a decent job of alerting you to changes that you have to at least decide whether you want a reg change to go through.

as how it goes, i like stuff that is easy for my friends to keep their systems in relative working order for the price tag that fits most of them -- free

Avg

I am planning to renew my lisence on Kaspersky AV soon. As I was reading some PC magazine (August issue), they report that the Karspersky Internet Security catches all (everything) the spyware, adware, and everything that others slipped. I am wondering if I should go with the KIS now? I am using D-Link router and closed all ports (including ping). Comments?

I was a Norton Internet Security user for many years and it did well to me (but I am discontinuing Norton since they grow blot and fatter every year).

Chuck

I let my F-Secure go - it's getting too top heavy like Norton. I use NOD32 now and anti-vir free (non resident).

anyone own Kaspersky Internet Secuirty 6.0 and is there any good one or better other one? does it scanning full or just partly? I just need to know some extra - i used save some video clips and lots of photo but not music stuff cos Im deaf as I dont hear any music so it wont very much multimedia in my hard drive -- I just want to know what Kaspersky IS 6.0 like - is good as stronger or just ok?

other one is ZoneAlarm Internet Securty 6.5 - good or same as previous software?

I know one thing is the price that cost quite dear but is it worth or not?

Kaspersky produces one of the very best AVs on the market. I would suggest you download the 30 day trial version from their website and try it before you decide.

You can read excellent independant reviews of the detection rates of AV products at AV comparatives:

www.av-comparatives.org