BFG Geforce 7600 Gt PCI-e
    Western Digital Raptor 74 Gig
    Antec truepower 2.0 TP2-550watt

DFI LP UT NF4 SLi-D
    2Gig Corsair xms Ram
    BFG Geforce 7600 Gt PCI-e
    Western Digital Raptor 74 Gig
    Antec truepower 2.0 TP2-550watt

With both setups I plan to go with an Opteron 165 or 144 and overclocking it to 2.5-2.8 hopfully. I want to be able to upgrade to SLi in the future and I cannot imagine what will happen when i run out of room for PCI cards. What would you do? Also is that ram any good? Thanks for looking!

Re: Torn between setups

Some DFI "SLI" boards are not true SLI, so although they usually work in SLI, they are not guaranteed to do so. And I'm not sure if that board is a genuine SLI. The DFI is the more "hardcore" board, with a lot more to adjust, but a lot more to get wrong. If you are an experienced (or at least one who has read up a lot) then the DFI is fine. Otherwise I'd go for the Asus.

And which Corsair XMS RAM? It comes in lots of flavours. It doesn't matter a great deal anyway though, because as I often point out, it is CPU speed that matters, not RAM speed.

M

I would really advise to get another GFX card if you want to make a gaming rig out of this. In the other thread u said u had a lot of money to spend, then this 7600 would certainly not be my first choice.

If you really want it for gaming in general then i guess a 512MB GFX card would be the best choice. Some of the newer games will really make good use of that extra GFX card memory. That said i dont expect u having trouble running those new games with a fast 256MB GFX card for a while. Right now the 7900GT would be the best bang for buck. The chip it uses has just as much pixel and vertex pipelines as the 7900GTX it just runs slower. (While with the 7800GT and 7800GTX the GTX hard more pipelines) So if u overclock it u might be able to reach GTX speeds, u just dont have the 512MB memory.
    Some people think when they use 2x 256MB GFX cards in SLI they'll have 512MB of GFX memory. Well u'll have 512MB of GFX memory, but every texture will have to be loaded in both cards meaning u'll still have an effective GFX card memory size of 256MB.

If you really plan to go SLI then the ABIT (or ASUS) with the nF4 SLI x16 chipset is quite a bit faster when it comes to SLI. The DFI is a great overclocking board with it's plethora of BIOS settings. But like Meridian says, it can make things complicated. I know the ASUS nF4 SLI x16 board uses 8 phase power supply to the CPU making it great for overclocking the CPU. I dont know if ABIT uses the same kind of design for it's board.
    The best kind of overclocking 1GB sticks use Micron '-5B D' chips and those can be found on Crucial Ballistix Tracer and Z503. But since you can just run the memory at a lower speed with these systems you'll probably just be fine with any kind of memory in general. Of course it would be nice if it didn't use 3-4-4-8 timings at DDR400 speeds.
    Overclocking system:
    ASUS Rampage Formula (BIOS 0403)
    Xeon x3350 SLAX2 @ 8x475=3.8Ghz 1.29Vcore
    Dual Radiator (modded) Koolance EXOS with Zalman WB5 CPU block
    2 x 2GB OCZ Platinum PC8000 @ 950Mhz 5-5-5-18 1.8v
    Enermax NoiseTaker 600W
    ASUS GeForce 8800GTX @ 645/1645/1000

I only have experience overclocking the good ol athlon xp 2000 and 2400 cpu's so im thinking that the DFI board might be a little over the top for me, and i dont like where the active cooling for the chipset is, i guess its gets in the way of some video cards. I like the passive cooling on the Abit board and there are no clearence issues. Here I'll map out what pros and cons im weighing.

Abit board: Pros: Full bandwidth x16 PCI-e lanes in SLi
    Passive cooling
    No clearence issues

Cons: Red leds on back of board(can you turn those off with a jumper?)
    Memory has less cooling ability than the DFI board

DFI board: Pros: Many options
    Quality hardware(?)
    Memory posistion allows for better cooling

Cons: Many options
    Jumper SLi select
    active cooling on chipset causes clearence issues

The cooling on a DFI board is low enough to make sure you dont have any clearence problems with any GFX card. But yes it's located at a very bad place.

In your case it's probably smart to go for the ABIT board. But i suggest you compare it with the ASUS nForce 4 SLI x16 board to see if maybe you like it better.

p.s. Once more i'll mention that even those 7600 in SLI wont be very fast. It might even be better to get a non SLI board and use that money to get a single 7900GT. So i really suggest you reconsider the 7600.
    Last edited by Abducted; 04-16-2006 at 05:41 PM.
    Overclocking system:
    ASUS Rampage Formula (BIOS 0403)
    Xeon x3350 SLAX2 @ 8x475=3.8Ghz 1.29Vcore
    Dual Radiator (modded) Koolance EXOS with Zalman WB5 CPU block
    2 x 2GB OCZ Platinum PC8000 @ 950Mhz 5-5-5-18 1.8v
    Enermax NoiseTaker 600W
    ASUS GeForce 8800GTX @ 645/1645/1000

Quote Originally Posted by Abducted
    The cooling on a DFI board is low enough to make sure you dont have any clearence problems with any GFX card. But yes it's located at a very bad place.

Especially when the fan goes bad and starts to sound like someone trying to drill through the motherboard. Becuase it is located directly under the top PCI slot you can only fit a VERY low-profile cooler, and most third-party coolers are too high. Doesn't happen to all, but is common.

M