Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Resolved Drive Alternatives to Raptor

My primary drive in my system is a 74gb raptor drive which i really like. Unfortunately the size limitation is really starting to become a problem. I am looking for a drive that is just as fast possibly in the same realm and is a lot bigger 200+gb. I was looking at the new larger raptors but they are just way too expensive, you guys have any suggestions.

pete

Re: Drive Alternatives to Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by Amd=cool
    My primary drive in my system is a 74gb raptor drive which i really like. Unfortunately the size limitation is really starting to become a problem. I am looking for a drive that is just as fast possibly in the same realm and is a lot bigger 200+gb. I was looking at the new larger raptors but they are just way too expensive, you guys have any suggestions.

pete
    Is the 74 gig model not large enough for your O/S and applications/games? That is all that should be on it. Everything else should be on a separate drive.

On my primary drive i have the OS and my games and primary applications, on my 2nd drive i have my downloads, music, pictures and what not. Its actually amazing every damn game now a days comes on a DVD and installs 5gb, i remember back in the day when games came on floppys and even on 1 cd...lol..

pete

I guess you can look into the 150GB raptor. Double the space and just as fast with a 16M cache. Surely that should be enough space for you.
    Modded Antec P160 w/ OCZ Powerstream 600w
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D->SLI w/ VC-RE (Bios 406BTA)
    X2 4800+ w/ TT Big Typhoon w/ Panaflo H1A
    2GB OCZ PC4000 Platinum EB
    2 X WD 150GB Raptor Raid 0
    2 X Hitachi T7K250 250GB SATA2
    Pioneer DVR-111L DVD-RW
    Creative X-Fi Fatality
    Powercolor X1900XTX w/ Accelero X2
    BFG Physx PPU w/ Vantec Iceberq4 Pro
    Samsung 204B
    Logitech G15 + MX518 w/ Everglide Ricochet mat + skates
    APC RS1200 UPS

There is no drive that can compare to the speed of a raptor except for a SCSI drive.

On my primary drive i have the OS and my games and primary applications, on my 2nd drive i have my downloads, music, pictures and what not. Its actually amazing every damn game now a days comes on a DVD and installs 5gb, i remember back in the day when games came on floppys and even on 1 cd...lol..

pete
    I wonder if you really use all the games? A general drive-cleaning or fresh install might recover a lot of space. Also, I wonder if you've tried installing games on your second drive to see if they really run any different? Another approach is to install games in the "run from DVD" mode, which puts the critical files on the Raptor. Then make an ISO of the DVD and drop that on a second HD, mounted on a virtual drive. Most games can be run this way.

Anyway, don't give up your Raptor for OS and applications. You will regret it if you do. A cheaper alternative to a Raptor 150 is a second 74 and a RAID-0 array.

i install my games on a second 36GB raptor and have my OS on a 74GB model. since I only play like 4 at any given time, I move them back and forth from my larger storage drive.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

I just formatted the system recently and its already half full, anywayif no drive matches its speed other than the raptor 150 then i will wait, as its too damn expensive now. This idea of running two 74 raptor in raid 0, this will give me about 150gb, but what about performance ??

pete

I just formatted the system recently and its already half full, anywayif no drive matches its speed other than the raptor 150 then i will wait, as its too damn expensive now. This idea of running two 74 raptor in raid 0, this will give me about 150gb, but what about performance ??

pete
    A pair of 74 gig models will provide outstanding performance. Just keep the risk factors in mind and stick to a sound backup regiment.

Performance will greatly increase. You could see up to 25% increase in I/O reads and writes. I have just found that with overclocking my raid arrays just can't stay stable.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsoul
    I have just found that with overclocking my raid arrays just can't stay stable.
    That's a MB problem, not really related to running RAID per se.

I've had this board up to 270MHz with no HD/RAID issues on either the PCI or chipset controllers.

Agree. One must also be very carefull with overly optomistic memory timing settings because it effects the integrity of DMA data transfer, which applies to SATA as well as PATA.

Unless you go SCSI there is no drive on the market that can compete with the raptor, the seek time on the drive alone is miles ahead of any other current PATA/SATA drive.

Now, as BWM has stated, you should only have your appz and games and os on the 74 GB model, hell I even put the lesser used appz on my storage drive, since programs, in general, are getting bigger and bigger.

Newegg had a 300 gb drive on sale the other day (not sure if it still is) for 130 bucks, pretty nice price, and would serve your storage needs just fine.
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes
    That's a MB problem, not really related to running RAID per se.

I've had this board up to 270MHz with no HD/RAID issues on either the PCI or chipset controllers.
    right, that is the Nvidia NV Raid problem, not RAID in general at all. Well I doubt in "real life" raid functions one would ever overclock

pete
    One other consideration is space/airflow in your case. I had a RAID array plus a swapdisc and a storage disc and found that it started causing breathing problems. Re-installed to use just 2 HDDs and dropped temps by 3deg!

Go with the 150.

AMD FX-57 | DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR | 4x1GB DDR500 OCZ Gold
    Stock cooling | XFX
    8800GTS 640MB XXX

Audigy2 ZS Plat | OS: 150GB Raptor
    Docs: 2x 500GB & 1x 250GB 16MB WD SATA II
    2x DVDRW | Lined & Sealed TT Tsunami w/SilenX Fans
    SilenX iXtrema Pro 600W PSU