Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Drive Alternatives to Raptor

SATAII RAID controller, as much ports as you need, SATAII hard drives

I have an older version of this drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145082

Actually I have two, and I'm using them in Raid 0. For less than the price of one of the regular raptor 150's (not the X version) you can buy 4 of these drives and use them is a Raid 0+1 array. My 2x80GB Hitachi's give me reads in the area of 97mb/s on the nVidia controller for my board. They have some 160GB drives for $70 (x 4 = $280. Close to the price of a Raptor 150.)

There is also this drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144424

It's a WD 400GB Raid edition drive. It sells for $182, but I think intelliboy in the trades forum had one for around $165 (he's had it a while, so he might deal - it's brand new). This drive features some of the same specs as the raptors, but it doesn't have the same RPM's.

Quote Originally Posted by t_ski
    This drive features some of the same specs as the raptors, but it doesn't have the same RPM's.
    Or anywhere near the performance of raptors, especially the new 150 gig model. Raptor access time in particular is much much better.

http://www.storagereview.com/php/ben...bench_sort.php

Quote Originally Posted by t_ski
    This drive features some of the same specs as the raptors, but it doesn't have the same RPM's.
    it probably shares no parts at all with the raptor. the raptor's platter is smaller and thicker, and the drive arm is much heavier duty to facilitate the short access times.

they might share things like a memory chip or controller of similar design, but that's about it.

also, when you raid lots of drives, access times suffer.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

I know that the performance mostly comes from the rotation speed. By the same features I was referring to this:

Quote Originally Posted by NewEgg
    RAID-specific time-limited error recovery (TLER)–this feature, unique to WD, prevents drive fallout caused by the extended hard drive error-recovery processes common to desktop drives.
    Rotary Acceleration Feed Forward (RAFF™)–optimizes operation and performance when the drives are used in vibration-prone multi-drive systems such as rack mounted servers and network storage.
    NewEgg lists both the 400GB drive and the Raptor having those features. That's all I was referring to being the same...

i see.

btw, the raptor's performance is probably more due to the better seek arm/motor and the smaller platter. the higher speed is icing on the cake, but probably doesn't help as much as you think it does.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

stephen is correct. The 10k spindle speed acounnts for only 1.2 ms of the 5-6 ms access time improvement relative to 7200 rpm models.