Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgradeitis

Re: Upgradeitis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_H
    man all this upgrade talk makes me wanna buy stuff.............but alas, I just bought a 7800gs to keep my agp system limping along for a while longer
    What are your system specs? Are you running on an Athlon XP system or Athlon 64?

Buu's new ASRock 939Dual board and A64 3000+ arrived yesterday after only 2 day from order date. Thank you Newegg Ah, that new hardward smell - gotta love it

Btw, the A64 is a Venice E6. Nice deal for $111. Gonna try to install over the weekend. Guess I gotta do another install of windows. Hasn't been that long since I did the last one on Buu's rig.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny
    Buu's new ASRock 939Dual board and A64 3000+ arrived yesterday after only 2 day from order date. Thank you Newegg Ah, that new hardward smell - gotta love it

Btw, the A64 is a Venice E6. Nice deal for $111. Gonna try to install over the weekend. Guess I gotta do another install of windows. Hasn't been that long since I did the last one on Buu's rig.

M$ gonna rake you over the coals for the new hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by zetachi
    M$ gonna rake you over the coals for the new hardware?
    Do you mean when I activate WinXP? Probably. When I did the last install on his PC I had to call MS and get that long activation number from them. that's the first time that happened to me with the 3 licenses I have on my 3 PCs. Not sure if I'll have to do that every time from now on or if it's only ever few hardware changes. Guess I'll find out.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

Quote Originally Posted by zerocool24
    do you have aa on?
    but nice price for it
    Solid 90, empty server.
    Played last night 64 players, 32 on a side.
    60/80 depending on how much action.
    No lag, no stutter. Real smooth.
    Need to back off on Lighting though.
    Can't see in the shadows.

It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

I want one LOL but that would mean a new MOBO+new video card= Divorce

Guess I'll stick with x800 for now

Sweet frame rate for those settings. My overclocked 6600GT gets allows me 1024x768 in BF2 with I think everything on high like GhostDog (except only 2x AA) but my frame rates are much lower, typically in the low 40's but dipping into the low 30's at times. I'd probably have to run 800x600 - all LOW to get anywhere new 80 fps
    Last edited by Lenny; 05-05-2006 at 11:36 AM.

Is x6 AA an option?
    all I remember is x4 AA

all settings on high with x4 AA and 1152x864 75hz I get 75, sometimes 80 FPS with 2 6800xt in SLI

I can't decide if I should keep the Venice 3000+ for myself and give Buu my Winchester 3000+ or give Buu the new Venice. Normally I always keep the new stuff for myself but this is an unusual situation - let me explain ...

Buu's new ASRock board only supports CPU voltage +0.05 above default voltage. My Winnie needs 1.6v to reach 2.35 Ghz and doesn't overclock very well near stock voltage. I'd guess it could only do 2.0 Ghz at +0.05. So my Winnie in Buu's new board would only be good for around 2.0 Ghz. On the other hand, the Venice in my Chaintech VNF4 would probably do very well. Just guessing but I think 2.5 Ghz would be achievable.

Alternatively, if I keep my Winnie running at 2.35 Ghz at 1.60v and give the Venice to Buu, it might be able to run maybe 2.2-2.3 Ghz at +0.05v since Venice's usually do better even at default voltage. In this case we would have similar clock speeds on our two rigs.

So I either take the Venice and push it to a max overclock leaving Buu with a small overclock or give Buu the Venice and we'll both have moderate overclocks.

Quote Originally Posted by amd5150
    Is x6 AA an option?
    all I remember is x4 AA
    I think 6x is only for ATI cards. I need to edit my prior post. I forgot to mention I only run 2X AA.

I can't decide if I should keep the Venice 3000+ for myself and give Buu my Winchester 3000+ or give Buu the new Venice. Normally I always keep the new stuff for myself but this is an unusual situation - let me explain ...

Buu's new ASRock board only supports CPU voltage +0.05 above default voltage. My Winnie needs 1.6v to reach 2.35 Ghz and doesn't overclock very well near stock voltage. I'd guess it could only do 2.0 Ghz at +0.05. So my Winnie in Buu's new board would only be good for around 2.0 Ghz. On the other hand, the Venice in my Chaintech VNF4 would probably do very well. Just guessing but I think 2.5 Ghz would be achievable.

Alternatively, if I keep my Winnie running at 2.35 Ghz at 1.60v and give the Venice to Buu, it might be able to run maybe 2.2-2.3 Ghz at +0.05v since Venice's usually do better even at default voltage. In this case we would have similar clock speeds on our two rigs.

So I either take the Venice and push it to a max overclock leaving Buu with a small overclock or give Buu the Venice and we'll both have moderate overclocks.
    Give Buu the new CPU, yours is in good working order, it aint broke, dont fix it.

how much L2 Cache?
    Last edited by amd5150; 05-05-2006 at 11:41 AM.

I think 6x is only for ATI cards. I need to edit my prior post. I forgot to mention I only run 2X AA.
    got ya

well my settings are

1600x1200 @60
    Terrain MED
    Eff High
    Geo High
    Tex Med
    Lighting Med
    Dyn Sha Off
    Dyn Lig Med
    AA 4x
    tex Filt High
    100% Draw Distance

I average @ 50-60 FPS

Quote Originally Posted by zetachi
    well my settings are

1600x1200 @60
    Terrain MED
    Eff High
    Geo High
    Tex Med
    Lighting Med
    Dyn Sha Off
    Dyn Lig Med
    AA 4x
    tex Filt High
    100% Draw Distance

I average @ 50-60 FPS
    50-60, why not try all settings on high?