Silicone Tape is interesting stuff. Pictures added.

I can't believe it!!!

I was looking for an easy way to wrap the loose wires in my case. I knew better than to use electrical tape.

I googles non sticky tape and eventually hit on silicone tape. I came back here and did a search which only confirmed I may have found what I was looking for.

Ran to Radio Shack and picked up some. Once you get the concept of not letting it touch to itself it wraps famtastic. It stretches to conform to the shape of the wire or plug you're covering. It does exactly what you want it to do. No tubes needed.

My Armor already had excellent air flow. The tape did not help to improve it, but any set of multiple wires and unused plugs are now wrapped. Most all my wires run along the back plate and only sneak through little openings in the back panel to where they need to go.

If you have not tried it yet - do it !!!
    Last edited by eoniverse; 05-10-2006 at 06:41 PM.

Re: Silicone Tape is your friend

Do you mean plumbers tape? The stuff used to seal pipe fittings?

M

Any pictures? I'd like to see what this stuff looks like inside a case.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

Pictures. Yes. I'll add them.

However I have also posted this in another friendly forum and something important was pointed out to me as I discovered it for myself.

Silicone tape may not stick to anything but itself but that means if you run multiple wraps in your case and they touch... they will bond unless you put 'something' between them. This is a giant pain in the ass.

I have not discovered what 'something' I will use or - hopefully - the ability to bond wcures with time.

Except for a Thermaltake side panel with fan I do not intend to add / mod this case for at least a year so I am content to leave things be. (that's what the loose molex is to be used for...soon I hope.)

***I just discovered the links do not work. Please tell me a site that does not spam where I can link the photos or explain to this newb how to get them here.***
    Last edited by eoniverse; 05-09-2006 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eoniverse
    Pictures. Yes. I'll add them.

However I have also posted this in another friendly forum and something important was pointed out to me as I discovered it for myself.

Silicone tape may not stick to anything but itself but that means if you run multiple wraps in your case and they touch... they will bond unless you put 'something' between them. This is a giant pain in the ass.

I have not discovered what 'something' I will use or - hopefully - the ability to bond wcures with time.

Except for a Thermaltake side panel with fan I do not intend to add / mod this case for at least a year so I am content to leave things be. (that's what the loose molex is to be used for...soon I hope.)

***I just discovered the links do not work. Please tell me a site that does not spam where I can link the photos or explain to this newb how to get them here.***
    I use a site called Imagecave to host my photos if that helps. They don't do the pop up ads...yet.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

The tape is Volcanizing (SP) when I was in the service we used it since it was non-conductive and water-proffed the power cables electrical contacts on the ships.

The stuff is a little bulky for the small case setups, I like using shrink wrap.
    WWW/FORUM: IRON Phoenix Headquarters
    GAMING: War Hammer On-Line, Star Trek Online, Call Of Duty 4, IL2:Aces, and NWN 2
    Main Rig:
    Gateway M685 w/C2D T7200 - Geforce 7900 GS - 18" 1080p (Laptop)

Other Rigs:
    Chaintech VNF3-250, w/AMD64 3400+
    ASRock K8Upgrade-NF3 w/AMD64 3200+ (HTPC)
    Chaintech 7NLI1 w/Barton 2500+ (sons PC)
    Gigabyte GA-7VKMP-P w/Athlon 1.4G (Backup system)
    HP MediaSmart EX495 (Home Server)

"The tape is Volcanizing".

OK. Works for me. I'll try to post the pictures tonight.

"The stuff is a little bulky for the small case setups"

As far a bulky... I disagree. No more bulky than shrink wrap would be. The wrap conforms to the wiring and plugs you cover and may be 2 mils thick max. Perhaps I misunderstand what you mean by bulky. Let me know what you think after I post the photos.

http://usera.imagecave.com/eoniverse/IMG_0800.JPG
    http://usera.imagecave.com/eoniverse/IMG_0801.JPG
    http://usera.imagecave.com/eoniverse/IMG_0802.JPG

I am going to keep looking for a tape that has no residue and can be wrapped tightly to conform to what it covers. I waant a tape so I don't have to remove the molex's, etc... but will not stick to like surfaces (silicone to silicone). If/when I find it I'll let everyone know.
    Last edited by eoniverse; 05-11-2006 at 07:19 AM.

Re: Silicone Tape is interesting stuff. Pictures added.

looks like this stuff is "thinner" than the stuff I used.

the thing is if it works for you then that is all that matters, I would say that many may like it since to use shrink wrap you need to take the moldex apart for the wires to be wrapped (many don't like to do that).

the older stuff used to have a line down the center and the recomendation was to over-lap ti on the line for water tight and high voltage applications. I guess that you would not have to do that here (just over-lap a little on the ends).

Please could you verify the composition of your tape.
    I use white, p.t.f.e. (prop. name Teflon used in the USA) plumbers thread sealing tape, black self-amalgamating tape (polybutadiene??) and heat-shrink sleeving (some kind of Co60 irradiated crosslinked polymers). Silicone tape I've not seen over here. What is the commercial name? (although that won't help unless it's a multi-national manufacturer like Dow, DuPont, etc). Self-vulcanising? How?

Didn't have a commercial name. Just called silicone tape. Got it at a store called Radio Shack on clearance. A google search turns up other places.

Not certain if I would describe it as self volcanizing but it does seal up to itself.

And keep in mind that if two wrappings ouch they will also stick together.

Did u really have an air flow problem before? You got a big ass case with a lot of space!
    Overclocking system:
    ASUS Rampage Formula (BIOS 0403)
    Xeon x3350 SLAX2 @ 8x475=3.8Ghz 1.29Vcore
    Dual Radiator (modded) Koolance EXOS with Zalman WB5 CPU block
    2 x 2GB OCZ Platinum PC8000 @ 950Mhz 5-5-5-18 1.8v
    Enermax NoiseTaker 600W
    ASUS GeForce 8800GTX @ 645/1645/1000

Airflow wasn't the whole issue.

Was trying to get the wiring looking neat... and improve airflow.

Thought I had found the solution until two wrappings touched each other and stuck for a moment.... ah well - live and learn.

I really like this case but it's heavy. Wish I could have afforded the aluminum version.

OK.
    I wrote about cooling, previously. Try to improve the entrance channel at the entrance slot front, base, possibly by adding an horn or cone if there's room. Only use ONE fan for heat extraction - that should be an enhanced unit inside the PSU, in most cases. Try to mount the HSF fan on the cpu on one side (two self-tapping screws are adequate), rather than on top, so that it blows with the direction of the box airflow. Some modern HSFs with heat pipes use this arrangement. A top-mounted HSF confuses the local airflow by local stirring.

We did some beta testing for some of tthis type stuff a little while back...the stuff does have some great uses.

You can get some here http://www.cshyde.com/Silicone%20Sel...e%20Colors.htm from the same makers of the C4 Mousepads, avialiable in a good aray of colors.