View Poll Results: Which of 3 Distros to use and why?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fedora 4

2 15.38%
  • Fedora 5

5 38.46%
  • CentOS 4.3

6 46.15%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fedora Vs. CentOS

Having a choice of CentOS 4.3 or Fedora 4 or 5, which would you pick, I could also go SuSE but tried it, and didn't really care for it, too much "windows" like.

Re: Fedora Vs. CentOS

I voted for FC4 as I'm familiar with it, it installs flawlessly on my equipment, FC5 to me is a no-no as it's too new and cutting edge (read buggy), CentOS I have no experience with.

Was running FC3 was time to move on to something new.
    Tried FC5 it was very unstable for me, then went with Centos.

Very similar look and feel as FC3. Very stable!!
    Last edited by themortarman; 05-11-2006 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by themortarman
    Was running FC3 was time to move on to something new.
    Tried FC5 it was very unstable for me, then went with Centos.

Very similar look and feel of FC3. Very stable!!
    GREAT input, just what I was looking for, have FC3 running on my "test box" behind me here at work, so if it's like that, and I get more votes for CentOS, I'll go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal
    GREAT input, just what I was looking for, have FC3 running on my "test box" behind me here at work, so if it's like that, and I get more votes for CentOS, I'll go that route.
    Well, I voted for CentOS (literally), as I'm running it on all my boxes at present.

I've run everything from RH 7.x up to Fedora 4 (excluding RH 8). For the most part, I've found them all reasonably stable. There have been bugs in Fedora, but then there were in the old RH line, and you'd expect them anyway as RH make no qualms about fedora being cutting edge and a huge public beta testing ground for new developments.

There's a place for both the current Fedora line and the RH Enterprise Linux (and CentOS clone) line. The choice depends on what's important to you and what you need. Fedora offers cutting edge packages and hardware support, but at the price of ultimate stability and a constant 6 month upgrade cycle (that's what finally killed me!). CentOS, on the other hand, uses slightly older core technology (roughly equivalent to that in FC3), but is rock solid stable and has a 7 year supported life cycle so you only need to do a full system upgrade when you need to, not when Fedora tells you to (if you want to get the latest security updates in a timely fashion).

For me, the choice was largely dictated by what I run at work on my server - the obvious choice there is CentOS as stability is important, but more importantly, I can't afford to be doing a full system upgrade every 6-12 months to a potentially buggy OS on my main server. Having made that choice, I run the same on my boxes at home

One area where CentOS may be weak is in supported addon packages by the major repositories, although I don't really know because I install very little addon software, but I suspect it's probably easier to find your favourite must have app as an RPM for FC4 than for CentOS.

Ned

I wouldn't call FC5 bleeding edge, but close enough to where it would be my pick.

And thats my only reason.

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

Provicemo, I'm actually a bit surprised. From your Gentoo usage, I would have pegged you as someone who would like a "Tried Tested and True" OS verses a leading edge OS.

I personally have gotten tired of doing major upgrades every 6 months too. That was one of the main reasons I moved from Mandrake to Debian and Gentoo. I've been using Gentoo for mainly server/workstation duty, where as Debian has been my desktop computer (mainly for the faster/easier install over Gentoo). But if I was to set up another server where I'd want a GUI, I'd probably would try out CentOS. Originally I didn't like the RedHat line. But that was before I was comfortable with the comand line. I was just too used to the Mandrake way of configuring everything (Thier own GUI interfaces).

But the main reasons I'd try CentOS would be so I wouldn't have to do a big upgrade one or two years from now, and becouse I've heard so many people talk about it lately I'm interested in how it would run (ok, so maybe it's been mainly just Ned who's been talking about it! ). But I'm not actually voting since I have not tried any of these, and I really don't know how I'd like them until after I use them for a bit.

Was a hard choice for me since BOTH CentOS and Fedora 4 are what I am currently using (Tried CentOS on Ned's recomendation).

I have always been a RH guy, used RH7 for years, till Fedora came out.

Getting tired of the fast pace Fedora cycle and wanted something longer lasting and Ned pointed out CentOS, pretty nice Distro. I use it on my VOIP server/Folding Box.

Still usinf Fedora Core 4 on my Main PC for now. When FC4 gets too old for RH support I will be dumping Fedora for CentOS on that box also.

But for today I like both FC4 and CentOS
    WWW/FORUM: IRON Phoenix Headquarters
    GAMING: War Hammer On-Line, Star Trek Online, Call Of Duty 4, IL2:Aces, and NWN 2
    Main Rig:
    Gateway M685 w/C2D T7200 - Geforce 7900 GS - 18" 1080p (Laptop)

Other Rigs:
    Chaintech VNF3-250, w/AMD64 3400+
    ASRock K8Upgrade-NF3 w/AMD64 3200+ (HTPC)
    Chaintech 7NLI1 w/Barton 2500+ (sons PC)
    Gigabyte GA-7VKMP-P w/Athlon 1.4G (Backup system)
    HP MediaSmart EX495 (Home Server)

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier
    Provicemo, I'm actually a bit surprised. From your Gentoo usage, I would have pegged you as someone who would like a "Tried Tested and True" OS verses a leading edge OS.

I personally have gotten tired of doing major upgrades every 6 months too. That was one of the main reasons I moved from Mandrake to Debian and Gentoo. I've been using Gentoo for mainly server/workstation duty, where as Debian has been my desktop computer (mainly for the faster/easier install over Gentoo). But if I was to set up another server where I'd want a GUI, I'd probably would try out CentOS. Originally I didn't like the RedHat line. But that was before I was comfortable with the comand line. I was just too used to the Mandrake way of configuring everything (Thier own GUI interfaces).

But the main reasons I'd try CentOS would be so I wouldn't have to do a big upgrade one or two years from now, and becouse I've heard so many people talk about it lately I'm interested in how it would run (ok, so maybe it's been mainly just Ned who's been talking about it! ). But I'm not actually voting since I have not tried any of these, and I really don't know how I'd like them until after I use them for a bit.
    Hey, I wouldn't recommend CentOS for everyone - if you don't like the RH way of doing things, you won't like CentOS either (afterall, it's the same product). I see it more as an alternative to Fedora fans than an alternative to other distro's.

It's funny, I've deliberately not tried to push CentOS too much here, despite really liking it, just because I believe people should try out different distro's and make up their own minds rather than simply following other people's recommendations. Guess I failed

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    Hey, I wouldn't recommend CentOS for everyone - if you don't like the RH way of doing things, you won't like CentOS either (afterall, it's the same product). I see it more as an alternative to Fedora fans than an alternative to other distro's.

It's funny, I've deliberately not tried to push CentOS too much here, despite really liking it, just because I believe people should try out different distro's and make up their own minds rather than simply following other people's recommendations. Guess I failed
    I wouldn't say you've failed on anything, and you're not "pushing" it in this poll/thread, I asked for opinions, and will make my own decision, starting to lean toward giving Cent the go, not on any single recommendation but I too am discouraged by the continuous updates of Fedora - I like it, so if Cent is similar, I imagine I will like it too, with fewer updates.

I haven't tried Debian, have used FreeBSD - not impressed, SuSE (YUK!), and that's about it for me so far.

CentOS because it's just like RHELX & that is what we have at work.
    ./

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier
    Well I use ~x86 (unstable), so I get the best of all worlds

I think unstable is one of those words someone made up to keep people away, so they could keep it all to themselves. I only have problems maybe 2 or 3 times a year, then I just rollback versions.

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

Well, I got my free Server Edition (yeah beta is free, but this is for the official release, from the way it reads) offer in the mail today for VMWare Server, so I'll send it in today, 4-6 week delivery on the CD, FC4 and beta server vmware is chugging along fine - even though I sorta borked it (I'm still amazed at how good it's working after I updated it with FC5's yum.conf and repo's), so I'll let this poll hang out and see if it changes, lookin like a change is definately coming, Cent is in the lead with FC5 2nd, looks like FC4 will go into the archives.

Quote Originally Posted by Provicemo
    Well I use ~x86 (unstable), so I get the best of all worlds

I think unstable is one of those words someone made up to keep people away, so they could keep it all to themselves. I only have problems maybe 2 or 3 times a year, then I just rollback versions.
    Lol!

So what do you do to rollback? Can you tell I'm always looking for a new trick or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider

Well like I said I am a die-hard RH user from the 7.x days.

I tried Gentoo and liked it (also learned some new tricks) but still RH flavor was my favorite that is why I was using Fedora mainly. BUT.... I was getting sick of the roll-over speed in Fedora and been testing waters (SuSe, Devian, Knopix, ubuntu) but always came back to Fedora since I didn't see CentOS till you pointed it was RH also (Brain fart on my part missing it)

So you really didn't "push" it at me I was looking for a free RH and CentOS fills the RH void for me
    WWW/FORUM: IRON Phoenix Headquarters
    GAMING: War Hammer On-Line, Star Trek Online, Call Of Duty 4, IL2:Aces, and NWN 2
    Main Rig:
    Gateway M685 w/C2D T7200 - Geforce 7900 GS - 18" 1080p (Laptop)

Other Rigs:
    Chaintech VNF3-250, w/AMD64 3400+
    ASRock K8Upgrade-NF3 w/AMD64 3200+ (HTPC)
    Chaintech 7NLI1 w/Barton 2500+ (sons PC)
    Gigabyte GA-7VKMP-P w/Athlon 1.4G (Backup system)
    HP MediaSmart EX495 (Home Server)