Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux Games

Linux Games

Shame that the thread with comments from Spankin Partier:
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=380426
    has been closed. Everything his heart desires is available, courtesy of the good burghers of The Extramadura, Spain in GNU/LinEx. A spankin' new release was announced just this week; see DistroWatch.com. Even FlightGear is included.

Crouched behind a camera with a wide lens

Re: Linux Games

I'm not getting it, what makes this distro unique/special? I'm having a hard time reading the translated version of their page

I also don't get it.

I don't see how wanting to run non-opensource is really solved by this distro.

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

Something odd here. There is an English version - absolutely no problem. It is entirely open source - free.
    I got my copy from the Linux Magazine cover DVD.
    Once it's installed, there are thousands of games listed across the top title bar. It also comes with all the usual apps., including OO, Firefox - absolutely everything. Cannot understand why this distro hasn't swept the board. The HW detection and installer are virtually foolproof, it runs fast and smooth. There is an online upgrader. Haven't seen anything quite like it. These guys have done a superb job - it deserves better recognition.
    Last edited by Elitist; 05-18-2006 at 02:40 AM.

Its another Debian distro.

Yes there are a lot of Linux games to play. And I like playing a lot of them. But when it comes to the big name games that are released across several platforms (Playstation, XBox, Windows, etc), it is very rare to see them released for Linux. And a common myth that people have when they first start using Linux is that they can simply use their Windows software under Linux. Including all their games. I think this myth stems from the fact that they are using the same hardware so they figure everything else should be the same.

Linux does have a lot of games. But most of them are not hmmm, how shall I say this, ‘cutting edge’. But occasionally we do get game vendors catering to us. One of my favorites still being Doom III.

The only tripple A games released for Linux that I can think of are Neverwinter nights, Unreal Tournament and various Id titles. Doesnt leave you with a very wide selection...
    There are other games though, LGP churn out a few but the problem IMO is that they appear when most gamers have allready played them on another platform.

It comes down to a couple of issues.

1.) Linux has no standard base, which is both a strong point and its weak point.
    2.) Linux has no standard API, which pretty much means the developers have to re-invent the wheel each time or chuck it to the wolves. ( I do acknowledge dev shops that do the leg work though.)
    3.) At the moment theres no middle ground with closed source technology, and the completely anti-closed source activists are getting a bit too much ground. ( Still not pillaging villages, but it still doesn't help.)

have you tried here for more games:
    http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Native_Games

I am awaiting to see more Quake 3 powered games since the source of the engine and its map editor has been released.

Thatnks for the link CE. I've added it to the FAQ.

Gaming on Linux

Any other good gaming links or links for any of the other FAQs would be great. I'm always trying to keep an eye out for them.
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 05-21-2006 at 10:34 AM.

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

thanks for that, trying to install linux is hard enough...... even harder in spanish!

Uh? Spanish? 99% of Linux distros have an English version - and that includes Red Flag!!! You have to find the little Union Flag and click on it! English has just been voted first language in America, probably because The Pilgrims and most of those who opened up the Wild West spoke it and still attempt to (even in preference to Gaelic!). In Southern Spain in Summer, almost as much English spoken as Spanish. GNU/LinEx, Austrumi, etc - all have a little Union Flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    1.) Linux has no standard base, which is both a strong point and its weak point.
    2.) Linux has no standard API, which pretty much means the developers have to re-invent the wheel each time or chuck it to the wolves. ( I do acknowledge dev shops that do the leg work though.)
    3.) At the moment theres no middle ground with closed source technology, and the completely anti-closed source activists are getting a bit too much ground. ( Still not pillaging villages, but it still doesn't help.)

1. http://freestandards.org/en/LSB I think they are trying to work on it.
    2. (not a coder, so forgive me, but) Couldn't they use OpenGL/OpenAL?
    3. huh?

Spankin Partier, no problem

thelmores, installing Linux is not hard at all. Many of the newer distros have GUI installers that walk you through everything.

1.) LSB its a full standard and its adoption has been really slow.
    2.) Opengl/OpenAL are limited API, I'm refering to more general application of API to general hardware and virtual devices. ( Everytime you have a new interface standard such as SATA it has to be rewritten from the ground up or use wrappers until its added.)

3.) Some of the more radical elements of the Open Source community have been making it difficult to implement commercial use of Open Source technology even when the commercial interests are playing by the rules.

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

Quote Originally Posted by Elitist
    Uh? Spanish? 99% of Linux distros have an English version - and that includes Red Flag!!! You have to find the little Union Flag and click on it!
    ahhh.... i been called an idiot before, don't worry about it!

i downloaded the linex cd, in the installation menu, i choose english, then it gives me the installation menu in english, i choose install, and the next screen was spanish again...... hey what could i do? i mean, yea, its easy to install linux, but not if the installation is in spanish!

oh well, it's always an adventure, one never knows what's around the next corner, even if it is obvious!

hey, anybody tried aeroglass in winxp?