Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux Games

Re: Linux Games

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    1.) LSB its a full standard and its adoption has been really slow.
    2.) Opengl/OpenAL are limited API, I'm refering to more general application of API to general hardware and virtual devices. ( Everytime you have a new interface standard such as SATA it has to be rewritten from the ground up or use wrappers until its added.)
    3.) Some of the more radical elements of the Open Source community have been making it difficult to implement commercial use of Open Source technology even when the commercial interests are playing by the rules.
    1. Understandable. Is that where Autopackage came from? (rhetorical question) Why not use *.sh instead, sh was/is universal with all distros.
    2. Again, understandable, but how would that relate to the game development? How you describe it, makes it sound like the game is rendering the entire OS/system. Wouldn't the standard already be coded and the hardware have to support it (as in graphic cards - OpenGL, OpenAL seems to be the opposite from what I gather) Yes, I am still confused .
    3. Like using media codecs in the US? Or the (L)GPL (or variants)? Either way, both sides should work together, and consumers (including *nixers) should demand it.

thelmores, why not use Mepis, Ubuntu or Fedora? I am pretty sure I recommended the first 2 before.

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

Quote Originally Posted by centered effect

thelmores, why not use Mepis, Ubuntu or Fedora? I am pretty sure I recommended the first 2 before.
    thanks centered..... i have had suse 10 installed on all my computers for a couple weeks now....... i love it! I also tried fedora core 5, but i felt suse 10 was a good start for me.

i have tried linux kernels in the past few years, but always gave up due to hardware detection/ installation, or just not understanding how linux works......

but i can honestly say, the switch is made for me. I will do everything i can in linux, AND ONLY DO WHAT I MUST IN WINDOWS!

i only have two windows tasks left, gaming, and united parcel services shipping software (worldship 8). gime me linux solutions to these two, and i will use my xp disc as a frisbee!

i think linux documentation for beginners could be a little better, but honestly, i love linux! (and google is my friend! )

Have you tried PCLinuxOS

for a noob (including me) it has been the easiest so far

and has plenty of options for power users as well

Well, again you can always ask questions and google too. Why I choose debian based distros, is because of apt. I tried Fedora, yum was too slow, I tried Gentoo, too long to get a working system, etc. I could go on but Debian (and others) just worked, and enough room to play with. I did a search for Worldship on Linuxquestions.org and found this thread:
    UPS Worldship Pretty much the solution would be VNC, or have a seperate Windows box. Google doesn't help much. As far as the games, check out the link I provided before.

There may be a tiny error in your LinEx version with one screen still in Spanish? Occasionally, it happens with some of the others like Knoppix/Kanotix (German), Austrumi (Latvian), etc. Usually it is possible to guess the meanings because the icons are in the same place and/or have symbols inside them. The next screen will be back to English or you will see the Union Flag again. Otherwise, use Babelfish online translator, or pop out to your local library (remember them?!) for a Spanish dictionary. Whatever, it is definitely worth pursuing the LinEx installation if you want games. It is one of the most competent distros I've seen, yet. It has downloads, updaters & co.
    Last edited by Elitist; 05-24-2006 at 02:18 AM.

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

Thanks Elitist, i did go a couple screens into the install after i switched to english, and they were indeed in spanish still...... I would like to give this disto a go, but when the install got to the part of setting up the file system, i couldnt completely understand the installation options, so at that point i just chickened out.

i assume once you get the install complete, that you will have the opion to switch to english, no?

it's not always the destination that is important, its the journey!

If you get really stuck, you could always send me a blank DVD and an international reply token?! Believe me, this one does work, in English, and it is worth having, although there's still plenty you'll need to add to it.

Elitist, can you provide a screenshot or a better listing of what this distro has on it. I don't see what makes this distro different from Debian, as someone else mentioned.

[begin slightly off topic rant]
    First I apologize if this is off topic or thread crapping, but it is in tune with the thread.

I think Linux users should demand software companies for software. I think all *nix users who want a better selection of games and want graphic programs (PS or Flash), etc should demand it. Don't talk about it forums, write or email to the companies, etc. Make a demand so there will be a supply.

Turning away from games for a moment, Design programs. Macromedia gave Linux users the Flash Player plugin (for what reasons I don't know but), so why couldn't they give Linux users the option to run any of their other software? Looking at Id software or the Unreal series, they use Windows retail Cds and have Linux installers. Think about it. That is all they (or any company) needs - an installer. Can it be that easy? GTK sems to port well to Windows, I would assume Windows developers could use GTK and port it to Linux. (back to gaming) I see that Id software can do it, why not other companies? Their map editor is obviously named GTKRadiant (note the GTK part!!) Then when Adobe took over Macromedia, there would be a "maybe linux is getting Flash Player 8, or 8.5 or maybe not all" bs. Because they would see there is a market, and judging from Novell's poll ( summary here ) it seems that I would be correct in that statement. Linux users would of had thier Photoshop, Flash, and Dreamweaver, etc. (since there are no alternatives - gimp is not there yet)

Let me get into another topic. I did not know this until I was using Ubuntu. Installing the w32codecs and/or any non-free audio/video tools is illegal in the United States. Illegal?

Ok so I thought, how do you pay the fees and how much are they? No one knows is what I am gethering (who am I going to pay? Mark Shuttleworth, Ian Murdock, Bill Gates, or Steven Spielberg?). Then I read this follwing links in Lobby4linux (from Helios' blog - http://lobby4linux.com/WordPress/?p=94):

Digital Rights Management and Trusted Computing will macerate every aspect of their computing lives. We cannot think of any technology that has so thoroughly threatened the freedom of choice for this many people. In fact, Windows Vista Users have a nasty surprise in store for them, thanks to DRM.�Helios, my well-intentioned but outrageously paranoid friend…relax, you said it yourself…you said Windows Users. We who use Linux are safe.�

No. No, we are not safe.

Jeff Ayers, a representative of RealNetworks, recently read Linux Users the writing on the wall:

�The consequences of Linux not supporting DRM would be that fixed-purpose consumer electronics and Windows PCs would be the sole entertainment platforms available,” Ayers said. “Linux would be further relegated to use in servers and business computers, since it would not be providing the multimedia technologies demanded by consumers.”

Did you �hear� what he is saying? …Windows PCs would be the sole entertainment platforms available…� “Linux would be further relegated to use in servers and business computers…

While I am masticating this quote, let me grind just a bit more of it up. Pay attention to the last sentence of the Ayers comment: �…since it would not be providing the multimedia technologies demanded by consumers.� I need to ask an honest question here…and I am asking anyone who reads this. Does Ayers think people do not think about what he is saying? The multimedia technologies demanded by consumers? What multimedia technologies, DRM and Trusted Computing technology? Since when has anyone outside the RIAA and the MPAA ever asked for this poison to infect their systems? All we want to do is use our computers as an alternate method of utilizing our paid-for media, be it music or video.
    Ok, I won't debate whether or not this is true or not, since I ddon't want this going to the TLR forum, but what if part of it is true?

Let me go another route. {generalization here} Some Linux users may say, we don't need propreitary Flash, we can use AJAX,or we don't need Photoshop we can use Gimp or Cinepaint, or the one I love the most - ROLL YOUR OWN!! (I would if I could code my own solutions). So what does that say to new users who are not programmers (like myself) or system admins (like myself too) who want alternatives to ther normal Windows apps? Again Photoshop is the most demanded Windows application. Dreamweaver and Flash is on that list too. Most devlopment on flash programs for linux are too new and unusable or non existant (Synfig is a great alternative and I am trying to find a way to help advocate it more - it needs its own apache modules and browser plugins). Nvu has STOPPED devlopment and Gimp is ...(up to the user whether is it good for them - I will not argue). There is a demand, but I don;t think it is getting to the right people.

But it goes back to what I am saying, If users do not demand products and companies do not see a market, then I think the problem of programs will continue.

I know I ended it badly, It is late and I apologize If i ranted too much
    Last edited by centered effect; 05-24-2006 at 11:07 PM.

Screenshot is a problem, not least because my LinEx is on a 'floating' HD which travels between several machines. There are over 150 games, bracketed into the usual categories. Some are the usual card and board games, but major offerings include platform, simulator, racer and shootemup, like Lincity, Airstrike, Starfighter, FlightGear, Tuxracer, etc. There's 'educational' stuff, too. But it's a big compilation with all the office, network and comms stuff, too. Cannot understand why it hasn't reached a larger audience? Bizarre or what?
    Suck it and see......

Quote Originally Posted by Elitist
    Screenshot is a problem, not least because my LinEx is on a 'floating' HD which travels between several machines. There are over 150 games, bracketed into the usual categories. Some are the usual card and board games, but major offerings include platform, simulator, racer and shootemup, like Lincity, Airstrike, Starfighter, FlightGear, Tuxracer, etc. There's 'educational' stuff, too. But it's a big compilation with all the office, network and comms stuff, too. Cannot understand why it hasn't reached a larger audience? Bizarre or what?
    Suck it and see......

Pretty odd that taking a screenshot would be a problem. Thats ok. Bizarre that it hasn't reached a larger base?

Google gives me this:
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7908
    http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/sl...se=150&slide=5
    http://www.oss.gov.za/modules.php?op...rder=0&thold=0

"gnuLinEx is not a product born by chance or spontaneously, but rather by the need to fulfill a double goal...an Educational goal, to contribute to the development of the Educational Technological Network, with a ratio of one computer for each two students in all the schools in the region...and an economic and social goal that consists of spreading...fully functional software that can be copied legally, helps to overcome economic barriers, such as the high cost of software licences."
    It is a Spanish Distro used for the Gov't, Education institutions, and the region that it is targeted for. All the games you mentioned can probably be apt-get'd using Debian, Mepis, Ubuntu or any Debian deriviative.

EDIT - Actually, if you like this distro alot, why not promote it so more people know more about it. The english portion of the site is sort of hidden, and it is primarily a Spanish distro, so most Enlgish speaking users would probably bypass it for a Wolvix, Zenwalk, or GNoppix. Also, if these games are installed, by default, then talk more about it, cause I didn't see anything about all the games you mentioned. Also, if you installed athis distro onto a external drive (what I am guessing you meant), then let others know that this could be done (i didn't know one could do this). Promoting and teaching others about Linux and its different flavors can help the community out.
    Last edited by centered effect; 05-25-2006 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elitist
    Shame that the thread with comments from Spankin Partier:
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=380426
    has been closed. Everything his heart desires is available, courtesy of the good burghers of The Extramadura, Spain in GNU/LinEx. A spankin' new release was announced just this week; see DistroWatch.com. Even FlightGear is included.

Do you mean this thread:
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=380301

GNULinEx

Main site: http://www.linex.org/ or http://www.gnulinex.net/
    Download: http://apt.linex.org/linex2006-rc2.iso
    Community: ?
    Primary Language: Spanish
    Current version: 2006-rc2

Quote Originally Posted by centered effect
    Do you mean this thread:
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=380301

GNULinEx

Main site: http://www.linex.org/ or http://www.gnulinex.net/
    Download: http://apt.linex.org/linex2006-rc2.iso
    Community: ?
    Primary Language: Spanish
    Current version: 2006-rc2
    I've updated that thread. But I am hoping to get a better download site. I found their HTML download site but seeing as it was in Spanish, and didn't display the entire name of the files.

Not sure what else you want me to do. I've indicated the range of stuff on LinEx, I've offered to run off a copy, I've told you where I got mine. Have you looked up Linux Magazine? April 06 issue. They also sell back issues. There comes a point where one has to persevere for one's self!! Pain & gain, I guess.
    My installation is onto a completely bog std IDE drive. I keep a dozen or so to try out various distros and connect them to one of my breadboard chassis on the bench, as and when.
    As for promoting LinEx, what do you think I'm doing by tipping off PCP readers!!
    Take my advice - one more time - if you enjoy games, do not let this one pass.

Quote Originally Posted by thelmores
    i only have two windows tasks left, gaming, and united parcel services shipping software (worldship 8). gime me linux solutions to these two, and i will use my xp disc as a frisbee!

i think linux documentation for beginners could be a little better, but honestly, i love linux! (and google is my friend! )
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...=vmware+dapper

vmware server beta - free usage

This is sort of Ubuntu specific (if your not in Ubuntu then the sudo commands should be in root), but it should apply for all distros. Just make sure you have the dependencies.

Well found the specs for the distro.

http://www.linex.org/linex2/linex/in...cnico_ing.html

Theres not a whole lot different except for the localizations and most likely an updated hardware detection suite.