Another Dan Brown thread

With all of the news about the DaVinci Code movie, I am currently listening to Deception Point. I was wondering if anyone has listened to or read this one? Yet another hatchet job as he covers Darwinian evolution and coverup. I have also listened to both the DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons and he is not that good of an author, intriguing perhaps but not good. I think people read his books because everyone has read them and they do not want to feel left out of the loop.

I give alot more credit to JK Rowling with much better character development and plot.

Re: Another Dan Brown thread

Yeah, read DaVinci, and Brown is not good at all. He has a decent vocabulary, fills out characters well, and has some good ideas...but his command of the language as a whole is lacking, he doesn't know when to end chapters, his stories are predictable, and IMO come off as if he specifically writes them to be adapted to movie. I probably won't read him again.

^ I agree with your description. I read Deception Point before The Da Vinci Code actually. I've also read Digital Fortress, which is about the NSA too. They're both merely ok. You get the feeling his characters are opperating in a vacuum; like there are no other people around them. The books are also very formulaic. There's a clever male central character, an attractive & clever female central character, a mysterious older character, a freakish assassin etc etc...

I've just read 'One Shot' by Lee Child, which was much better.

I think his books are on a "diet." Very little in depth details, little character development, and tangent plots that always come together.

Honestly, I can see why people like his books. They are hard to put down at times and the lack of detail can keep the "normal" people from getting bored

I like Angels and Demons the best. I have read bits and pieces of Deception Point and didn't care for it at all.

Give me a Kurt Vonnegut book anyday of the week

He used to be a joke book author, what did you expect? He wanted this book to be turned into a movie and was better off becoming a movie in the first place. Holy Blood, Holy Grail is much more well written and more non-fictional than Davinci Code.

I don't know, most movies don't do a book justice. Steven King's 'The Shining' being a notable exception. Book sales alone have made Brown over $200 million, so he was hardly gagging for movie rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore
    I don't know, most movies don't do a book justice. Steven King's 'The Shining' being a notable exception. Book sales alone have made Brown over $200 million, so he was hardly gagging for movie rights.
    ^^ Sorry for OT. But I seriously dislike Steven King's books. IMHO he is long winded and leaves 0 to the imagination. Very many people love his style, myself I cannot take 30 pages describing how the blood dripped off the tip of a knife. Anyhoo, as much as I dislike reading his books I really enjoy a few of his flicks they turned into full length movies. The Shining and Shawshank come to mind first.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Ah, the beautiful world of subjective entertainment.

We can complain up and down the Mr. Brown is not a very good author. However, his book sales do indicate otherwise.

His books are good if you want a simple read. A "choose your own adventure" book without the choice.