Page 63 of 141 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast

Re: Recent Purchases

I dunno if you need the SLI bridge for the 460s. Mine came with a flexible connector, I might have an extra I can send you

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    I dunno if you need the SLI bridge for the 460s. Mine came with a flexible connector, I might have an extra I can send you
    Just ordered on on Fleabay. Not sure if it is needed but could not find the sli controls in Nvidia control panel, just Pysics
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

If im not mistaken for true hardware SLI you need the bridges. Without it your doing software based SLI which will use CPU cycles.

Bought a new case during the cyber Monday sale at Newegg.

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

(I just realized this is my first post here in 2 years )
    Intel E8400 // Gigabyte EP45-UD3P // 4GB G.Skill DDR2 1066 // Antec True Power2 550W // MSI 260 GTX // Audigy 2ZS // 500 GB WD SATA // 250 GB WD SATA // Lite On DVD-ROM // Samsung DVD burner // XP Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    If im not mistaken for true hardware SLI you need the bridges. Without it your doing software based SLI which will use CPU cycles.
    kind of, but not really. I'm pretty sure it just sends the SLI traffic over the PCI-E bus. becuase its not saturated at all you don't really need the bandwith the connector provides. I didn't notice any penalty prior to connecting it. I run it with the connector anyway just in case

Trust me, I do science

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Bought a new case during the cyber Monday sale at Newegg.

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

(I just realized this is my first post here in 2 years )
    I have one of those cases here that I got last Christmas, which is now being used in my step sons PC. It is a nice case, but does collect a lot of dust through the side window panel. I don't have a fan installed in the side panel, but I do have a make shift filter on it to help with that problem.

filter to keep out dust bunny

The new RAM is working great. My first 2 x 2 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH were rated DDR3 1333 at 7-7-7-21 1.5v and that's what I'm running them at (timings set manually in the BIOS). The second set of new 2 x 2 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL are rated DDR3 1600 at 9-9-9-24 1.5v and according to the SPD a max of DDR3 1066 using the faster 7-7-7 timings. But I decided to gamble and just drop them in with the first set with no changes to the timings and all 4 sticks are running great at 7-7-7-21 1.5v at 1333.

I ran (not all at once) the Windows Memory Diagnostics, 6 simultaneous copies of Windows Memtest (one for each core per instructions), Prime95, Linx and some Black Ops. Not a single error so far. Kudos to G.SKILL. Also it seems there is no issue running 4 sticks of RAM with the Phenom II X6.
    Last edited by Lenny; 12-02-2010 at 03:52 PM.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

An 8GB kit of Corsair DDR3, an H50, and a second Asus GTX 275.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-482-_-Product

Asus Maximus III Formula 1156 P55 Motherboard.

The P7P55D-E I have took a dump I think. It won't boot to the Intel controller no matter what. Tested everything.

I have dealt with Asus RMA in the past and they can be slow, so I just purchased a new board and will have to sell the P7P55D-E once I get it back from RMA.

I liked this board, and I liked the on-board VIA audio better than those Realtek chips. This Maximus has the "removable" sound card, so I will just use the X-Gamer PCI card.

yikes, for that price I'd take a 1366 setup any day of the week. thats more than my x58a-ud3r cost, and my i7-950 was only about $250. It never ceases to amaze me how much companies feel they can get away with charging for intel boards (as a whole)

I hope you like it, I know Asus makes really good boards in the rampage/maximus/whatever lines.

EDIT: I had looked at an X58 board that had the "X-Fi" audio "discrete" card like Maximus III does, but its pretty much just a normal realtek or VIA codec on a riser board with the X-Fi software enabled on it. If you give it a try I'd be interested to hear from you how it does, just to see how much I missed out on now that I'm using onboard sound instead of my old audigy 2 ZS
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 12-06-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Trust me, I do science

yikes, for that price I'd take a 1366 setup any day of the week. thats more than my x58a-ud3r cost, and my i7-950 was only about $250. It never ceases to amaze me how much companies feel they can get away with charging for intel boards (as a whole)

I hope you like it, I know Asus makes really good boards in the rampage/maximus/whatever lines.

EDIT: I had looked at an X58 board that had the "X-Fi" audio "discrete" card like Maximus III does, but its pretty much just a normal realtek or VIA codec on a riser board with the X-Fi software enabled on it. If you give it a try I'd be interested to hear from you how it does, just to see how much I missed out on now that I'm using onboard sound instead of my old audigy 2 ZS
    I already had the i7 875 though. I would have had to sell the 875, buy the 950, a new mobo, and another 4gb stick of RAM for triple channel. I know I wouldn't need it, but why go dual channel on an X58?

Cheaper to just get that board, RMA the board I have, and then sell the board once it gets returned from RMA.

You are right, it's just a Realtek card with the X-Fi enabled. One reason I chose that board over the WS Supercomputer board. This way, I don't even have to bother with the "on board" sound by not installing that card. I'll just use the Xtreme Gamer X-Fi card in my closet.

The WS Supercomputer board was the same price.

I like the Maximus/Rampage boards. I have had good OC results on them, which is another reason I decided to just get that.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post
    I already had the i7 875 though. I would have had to sell the 875, buy the 950, a new mobo, and another 4gb stick of RAM for triple channel. I know I wouldn't need it, but why go dual channel on an X58?

Cheaper to just get that board, RMA the board I have, and then sell the board once it gets returned from RMA.

You are right, it's just a Realtek card with the X-Fi enabled. One reason I chose that board over the WS Supercomputer board. This way, I don't even have to bother with the "on board" sound by not installing that card. I'll just use the Xtreme Gamer X-Fi card in my closet.

The WS Supercomputer board was the same price.

I like the Maximus/Rampage boards. I have had good OC results on them, which is another reason I decided to just get that.
    right, I wasn't suggesting you switch to 1366, but rather that the gap between a high-end 1156 and a 1366 is too close to go with the 1156's IMO. You're giving up the triple channel and they both overclock about the same

Trust me, I do science

Quote Originally Posted by zetachi View Post
    Just ordered on on Fleabay. Not sure if it is needed but could not find the sli controls in Nvidia control panel, just Pysics
    SLI bridge came today, installed. 3dmark vantage went from

SLI GTX260 P10748/GPU-8620/CPU-41425

to

SLI GTX460 P27378/GPU-24281/CPU-44348

Need to see it real world action in some games now

right, I wasn't suggesting you switch to 1366, but rather that the gap between a high-end 1156 and a 1366 is too close to go with the 1156's IMO. You're giving up the triple channel and they both overclock about the same
    Yep, at this point I would have rather just gotten the 950 and the x58 sabertooth.

Oh well. The 875 is still a nice CPU.