AMD 4x4 Technology - Four CPU cores and Four GPU cores

Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Re: AMD 4x4 Technology - Four CPU cores and Four GPU cores

cant wait to see it in action

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Neat. But other than a rich kids toy, it's not in the realm of the standard consumer. Not even close.
    Having a smoking section in a resturant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.

Thumbs up Re: AMD 4x4 Technology - Four CPU cores and Four GPU cores

Would this be like ~$3,000 just for the CPUs and video cards? Looks like something to shoot for in my 2008 build.
    Skaarj-laptop:Asus G750JW-NH71,Win8.1,Corei7-4700HQ,12GB DDR3 RAM,Nvidia GTX 765M 2GB,Realtek HD,TSST CDDVDW SN-208DN,WDC 750GB HD...
    SkaarjMasterDuo:WinXPSP3, Core2Duo E8600(Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P),Noctua NH-C12P,4GB Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-8500C5 RAM,Nvidia EVGA GTX-280 1GB,SB Audigy2 6.1,Klipsch 5.1 sats,Dayton sub,Pioneer VSX-819H-K rec,,Enermax 850W PSU,Lian-Li PC-71B full tower,Pioneer DVR-216D,BenQ DW1655,Asus E818A3T,2-1TB WD HDs.....
    Dragonslayer (at Mom's house now): WinXPSP3, P4 3.2GHz(Asus P4P800-Deluxe),Thermalright SLK-947U,3GB Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM,ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256MB,VGA Silencer,SB Audigy2 5.1,Seasonic 500W PSU,Silverstone FT01-B mid tower,LG DVD burner,Asus E616P3..
    Dragon1: (off for now, will not boot) Win98SE, AthlonXP 1900+(Soyo SY-K7V Dragon+),Thermalright AX-7, 512MB Crucial 2.5 DDR PC2100 SDRAM MSI GeF4Ti4400,SB AudigyGamer,Enermax 431W PSU...

folding farm in a box

sounds good to me

I tell you what, it might be overkill but it sure sounds tasty

I know Ryan and Jeremy are just doing thier jobs but sometimes I wish I didn't see thier daily updates
    Like the guy said above, rich kiddie toyz, and me not being rich dont help much at the rate I can afford things its gonna be like my 2012 build
    Low Speed, High Drag!
    Formerly a team 734 Folding Frog. (Might start up again soon)

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyWills
    I know Ryan and Jeremy are just doing thier jobs but sometimes I wish I didn't see thier daily updates
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

I guess I'm just not an "Enthusiast" any more! I don't have a "dual-core" processor. And I don't see the point in having 2 of any graphics cards, unless they are the fastest available and then it's not a "good value" for 40% increase in performance it yeilds. But I seems that's the only idea second rate companies can fall back on these days. Never mind the fact that the industry doesn't really have extensive support for multi-threading in their software. They think we should buy more, and more, of their "second rate" products so we can try to get the performance they can't deliver. All of this is just "hype"!! (Though I'm sure PC Power&Cooling is loving this idea - can you say 1000W p/s for all?)

Why am I this way? Well I used to buy into this kind of BS. But then I realized that the "Enthusiast" market is only a tiny nitch. For the most part they will be ignored by the industry. And the promise of "64-bit", "dual-core", "dual-gpu"...etc., won't be fully realized. And those of us who spend our money on such will only be disappointed.

Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't have to worry about being sucked into jet engines.....

So how is this any different than the 2P workstations described here?:
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...comparison.pdf

Introduction of an FX with an added HT Link? Is that a 290 for socket F?
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

How does it handle in snow?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider
    -.-

i think you have teh wrong section,the atv is over there

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Woud crank out lots of WU's
    HTPC Box , Cooler Master RC 260 , ASUS A8N-VM-CSM , 512 mb X 2 Samsung DDR 400 , AMD 3200+ Venice core , Coolmax 350W fanless power supply , NEC 3550A DVD , Netgear WG311T wireless card , HD Maxtor QuickView 100GB SATA ,OS XP Pro with snapstream beyond tv link , Black Solid Year Wireless Keyboard ACK-573 and the imon / cooler master remote , logitech X-530 5.1 speaker system FOLDING FOR A CURE 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider

Spoiler!

Exterior & Interior Modification & Care
    detailing - modifications - installations - maintenance
    http://edhilario.ca

I'm a little confused.

Doesn't the AMD road map also have quad core cpu's? If yes, then why bother with dual dual core cpu's when a single quad core should be close?

and...

If quad core cpu's are a reality then why not dual quad cores?

Questions: I rarely game and no longer care much about settings when I do. You think you can run a single GPU in this that will not break the bank? I'd rather spend the bucks on the cpu's, mb, and ram.

^^

AMD 4X4 - what is it really, and how does it work?
    William Henning - Friday, June 2nd, 2006 | 9:39AM (PST)

Yesterday AMD announced their 4x4 initiative for gamers, but the details are few and far between.

It would not surprise me if people found the announcement of 4X4 confusing.

I mean read this:

"Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD) launched a four-core chip platform for video gamers Thursday, continuing to battle Intel Corp. for buzz in the high-end "enthusiast" segment."

That was from IDG News.

Now would it not have been simpler to say "AMD introduces dual CPU motherboard for gamers"?

Since there is a significant lack of hard information, I will indulge in some educated guesses - speculation if you will.

I've long suspected that socket 939 and socket AM2 processors would be capable of SMP operation; I mean Opteron's use just one more pin and the 8xx series have three Hypertransport channels; the 2xx series supposedly have two, and the 1xx (and Athlon's) are supposed to only have one.

Note I said "supposed to only have one".

As most of you know, Nvidia (and ATI) often differentiate products by disabling a number of pipelines, pixel shaders etc., and essentially sell the same GPU (granted at different clock speeds, with different speed memory) for very different prices.

AMD and Intel do the same thing by disabling parts of L2 caches, and by limiting multipliers.

Should it really surprise us that socket 939 may be capable of dual processor operation?

Frankly it is likely only a matter of laying out a board with the appropriate 2xx series opteron style interconnect between the two processors and BIOS support.

It looks like with Conroe breathing down its neck, and the K8L still being an unknown factor, AMD is responding by "allowing" SMP with Athlons. Even if we grant that Conroe may be 20%-30% faster for gaming than a single dual core Athlon... with multi-threaded games it would lose to TWO dual core Athlons.

I think this is a smart move.

If the X2 prices drop, and dual motherboards are not significantly more expensive than single socket motherboards, there is great room for performance improvement.

Think about it.

Each socket will still have two memory channels (it would be silly of AMD to only use the memory controller on one of the processors, as using both would give it far higher memory bandwidth than Conroe can get). Using PC6400 DDR2, such a configuration could theoretically approach 25.6GB/sec of aggregate memory bandwidth.

Each socket could connect to a Northbridge. True dual 16X PCIe. Heck, if they use the "daisy chained Southbrige for second PCIe 16x slot" approach, a board could have FOUR 16x PCIe slots. Now if you have a 1KW power supply handy, and Nvidia drivers support it... you chould theoretically have FOUR dual GPU cards, for eight way SLI. In theory.

I could go on, but to see what would be possible, just go take a look at the dual processor Opteron motherboards.

Now... if I wanted to go further out on a limb... why did they call it 4X4, and why are they so close-mouthed?

Hmmm.

AMD is known to be working on four core processors.

Socket 939/AM2 may be capable of three Hypertransport links - we know socket 940 is.

Four socket Opteron motherboards exist, with with two memory channels per socket.

Lets see... 4 sockets X 4 cores... 4X4 makes sense now, does it not?

This would let AMD capture the minds of gamers who have been wanting an answer to Conroe.

This would not require designing a new core, however I am sure AMD is working on K9 and K10 designs again.

This could be brought to market quickly.

It makes sense.

Will it happen?

Heck if I know.

I'm just speculating based on news I've read, and what I know about existing AMD products, and what AMD could do if it wanted to.

The downside for AMD?

It will somewhat cannibalize their server offerings, or to be more specific, it will make it more difficult for AMD to charge a large premium for Opteron 2xx and 8xx parts over Athlons.

But there are signs AMD is willing to do that... the price of the 265 dual core opteron is very close to the price of the 3800x2.

Overall, this would be a win for AMD. Selling more processors, up to four times as many, to a MUCH larger market than servers.

And ofcourse, AMD can always charge a premium for upcoming socket F parts.

-----------------------------------

A major push for AMD’s K8L design is in “modular” component design – meaning everything from L3 cache to memory controllers are developed as individual components and linked together with reusable, robust designs. To some extent, processor design is already modular with libraries and designs that are developed individually. However, Hester insists this new modular approach takes this modular approach even further, claiming that the company is developing “better define the interfaces for each of these building blocks.”

Additionally, Hester revealed some more information about the cache specifics on K8L. Each K8L core will have 64KB of dedicated L1 cache, followed by 512KB of dedicated L2 cache. The base models of K8L will have 2MB of shared L3 cache, but Hester also went on to claim that adding more L3 cache was in the company’s roadmap. One thing AMD representatives have not particuarly touched on is the cache reduction from 64+64KB (data+instruction) to 32+32KB. AMD employees have assured us this move is logical with the addition of L3 cache.

A major feature of K8L is DICE, or Dynamic Independent Core Engagement. Essentially, the ACPI layer will have the ability to dynamically adjust individual cores and crossbars on the processor. Each processor core will have the ability to enter its own power-state, or p-state, allowing a K8L processor the ability to conserve power when the system does not have enough threads to utilize the other processor cores. Intel’s Core processors have the ability to enter c-states on a per-core basis, but the AMD demonstration showed a quad-core K8L processor dip individual cores into full halt.

Opteron servers right now are, for the most part, limited to PCs with eight sockets or less. Part of this is due to the fact that each processor has only three HyperTransport links. Hester announced that the next generation Opteron core will have four 16-bit HyperTransport-3 links running at 2.6GHz each. These four links can reconfigure into eight 8-bit HyperTransport links in a process called “un-ganging,” which is a fundamental feature of HyperTransport-3. Essentially, one could have an eight-socket server with thirty-two fully connected cores. Each processor will be able to take advantage of any of the eight memory banks within one memory hop. The HyperTransport-3 specification claims un-ganging mode can work on the fly, meaning that even a fully connected eight-socket server could dynamically change two 8-bit links into a single 16-bit link during operation to increase I/O at critical moments.

K8L is designed as a native quad-core design, although slides from the Technology Analyst Day also revealed that a dual-core desktop SKU will appear in mid-2007. So far, DailyTech has touched a little bit on the 65nm quad-core code names announced in AMD roadmaps, but to our knowledge the code names for dual-core K8L processors have not been disclosed.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 06-02-2006 at 07:24 PM.