Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Tried all conventional solutions.. computer is still sluggish.. definitely corrup

CnsMin Object Recognized!
    Type : RegValue
    Data :
    TAC Rating : 8
    Category : Data Miner
    Comment :
    Rootkey : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Object : system\controlset001\services\cnsminkp
    Value : filter.dat

Data :
    Comment :
    Value : remap

Data :
    Comment :
    Value : Ver

Data :
    Comment :
    Value : file.dat

Data :
    Comment :
    Value : reg.dat

Data :
    Comment :
    Value : KeeperString

Data :
    Comment :
    Value : Direct

Data :
    Comment :
    Rootkey : HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Object : software\microsoft\internet explorer\main
    Value : Search Page

Conditional scan result:

New critical objects: 29
    Objects found so far: 30

10:17:09 PM Scan Complete

Summary Of This Scan

Total scanning time:00:02:48.860
    Objects scanned:101483
    Objects identified:30
    Objects ignored:0
    New critical objects:3
    Last edited by Computerwiz; 06-03-2006 at 11:31 PM.

Re: Tried all conventional solutions.. computer is still sluggish.. definitely corrup

All of those entries point to two registry entries in HKLM and one in HKCU. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\cnsminkp and delete the cnsminkp key. Do the same thing for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset001\services\cnsminkp. If you get an access denied error when you try to delete the key, take ownership in the same way you would for a file or folder. Hijackthis should be able to take care of the Internet Explorer page for you. It might even remove the service entries, in particular the one in CurrentControlSet. I've also had good luck with SpyBot SD 1.4 finding and removing service entries that otherwise went unnoticed. Ewido has found files that, in and of themselves, appeared innocuous (such as xy.bat) but were in reality part of a bigger, badder problem.

The purpose of doing the cleaning in Safe Mode, which incidentally, has been mentioned to you several times, is that most services do not/can not start in Safe Mode, thereby making the cleaning easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Willie
    ... If you get an access denied error when you try to delete the key, take ownership in the same way you would for a file or folder. ...
    That was all that was needed here to get rid of those two keys. Cwiz, I don't know if you hav done any registry editing before or taken ownership of registry keys, but I suspect not. So here is a MS KB article on it, and also see the sticky post "Remote Registry Editing", scroll down to the bottom "Taking Ownership", and start at item 3. Windows XP registry keys wil have a "Permissions" option when you right-click on them. At that point you can follow the instructions and be sure that your login name is added to the list and has the Full Control permissions box checked. After that you will be able to right-click delete those keys and it willl be done.

Alternatively, I have tried Spysweeper (which you have installed), and it will remove the entries. It will try at first, be unsuccessful, and will prompt you to reboot so that it can do a start up clean up. problem is Spysweeper takes a long time to run.

Re: Tried all conventional solutions.. computer is still sluggish.. definitely corrupted

garg. I tried following both prompts. As to how to take ownership. But I get an "error whie deleting key" message each time.

You say spysweeper deletes it. But each and everytime it says. There's a threat running in memory that can't be removed unless you restart the computer. Would you like to restart now.. I click ok and.. i believe it's suppose to run before everything starts up but it doesen't.. it just runs normally while everything loads up again and I get that same message... the cycle repeats itself. I must have gone through this at least 7 times

Are you doing the registry editing in Safe Mode? After taking ownership of the keys, does it list you in the Permissions box w/ full rights?

Re: Tried all conventional solutions.. computer is still sluggish.. definitely corrupted

administrator and interactive is listed in the permission box and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz
    administrator and interactive is listed in the permission box and that's it.
    Then if you've gone through the Take ownership portion and added your name there, click add on the permissions tab and add your name. Make sure you get full rights. If you still have problems, delete each value in the right pane one by one until you find the one to which rights were not conferred. If you can delete all the values, begin deleting any subkeys in the tree for that particular service. Be careful because registry editing is unforgiving of mistakes. Also, do it in Safe Mode.

Ok my name now appears in the permissions box. I tried to delete the cns min folder to no avail. I clicked the folder.. and it had several registry keys on the right pane.. I succesfully deleted them all. But then when I clicked off the folder.. and clicked the cns folder again.. they regenerated :???: I tried to delete them like 4 times and they just come back...

Ok my name now appears in the permissions box. ...
    When you highlight your name in the permissions box, is the Full Control box checked in the pane below?

it says i have full control

it says i have full control
    Then I am about out of ideas unless you have another system around to do the edit with.

Just checking, it looks like this to you? In Safe Mode?

In this example, Bill_Clinton has Full control permissions on that key. Highlighted on the top and Full Control checked below. If that is how it looks, and you reboot, you should be able to right click and delete the cnsmnkp key.

yes that's how it looked. i will try it again one more time...because i don't think i restarted after doing it And what do you mean by another *system*

yes that's how it looked. i will try it again one more time...because i don't think i restarted after doing it And what do you mean by another *system*
    Another computer to put your hard drive into temporily. I just don't see that need though. This should work fine with this bug. It is working here repeatedly.