Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Linux

New to Linux

I am new to linux. I want to try another operating system that is FREE. Can someone give me info on a linux OS that would be alright for someone like me who mainly uses my computer for surfing the web. Can anyone give me a download link.
    Abit IP35
    Core2 Duo E6850 9x412 - 3.71 GHz
    Freezer7 Pro
    2x1mb Balistics PC2-6400
    1Seagate 320GB - 1Maxtor 320GB Raid(0)
    1-EVGA 7600GT
    Antec 900
    Ultra Infinity 600W
    Samsung 730B
    Asus Sata DVD-ROM
    Samsung sata dvd-rw
    hercules game theater xp
    Logitech Z560 Surround

Re: New to Linux

For a first time linux user I would go with Simply MEPIS 3.4-3 but having said that Simply MEPIS 6.0 beta 5 is working fine for me. Take your pick: http://www.mepis.org/node/1462
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie
    ... Can anyone give me a download link.
    Might take a look at the stickied posts above: * * * * All New Linux Forum Links * * * *->Linux Distro's->"Which distro should I use".

The links are there.

I definately recommend the Knoppix Live CD. It does a really good job. You can do the DVD if you want to see how much *stuff* they could cram into a live DVD operating system, but it *might* run slower. All you have to do is set your CD/DVD drive to boot from CDROM first in the BIOS boot order menu, and Knoppix runs in the memory.

I noticed the link was talking about Gentoo being for advanced, but I think Arch should also be mentioned in some way as being a bit more "difficult" than the average friendly distribution. It is by design, also.

If you want to install one to your hard-drive, unless you have seperate storage partitions on your current drive that you can just format for Linux without hurting windows, or touching partitions, then just back up the drive, wipe it, partition another logical drive with Linux in mind, or just buy another hard-drive for Linux. Don't use supposedly safe "free space" partitioning programs. They're questionably safe, IMO. Also, you might want to back up Windows anyway, because you could easily accidently goof up a Linux install to Windows resident drive and ruin Windows.

I second Knoppix. Seeing as Knoppix runs directly off of the CD / DVD, you do not need to install anything onto your hard drive. This allows you to get a 'feel' for some of the things Linux can do, and how it does it without altering your computer in any way.

Question, do you have multiple computers? If so I'd recommend leaving your main computer as Windows and trying Linux on one of your 'secondary' computers for a while. This way when you come across some problem that may be simple for you to fix/do in Windows yet just can't figure out in Linux, you won't have all the pressure to get it going right away in Linux. For I'll tell you now, you will have some frustrating days. We all go through them. Linux isn't any harder then Windows, it's just different then Windows. But when you have those days, try doing some Google Linux searches or post away here. We'll help you through them!

I should probably mention all versions of Simply MEPIS run live off the CD so you can check compatibility with your hardware before you install. Install is very easy. Just click on the "install" icon on the live desktop and follow the graphical prompts. It's free, easy and Debian based using the Ubuntu Repositories. Also there is a dedicated web site of "MEPIS lovers" that will be happy to help you with any problems you may encounter. The Forum has a "Newbie Help" section. They helped me with a few problems/questions. http://www.mepislovers.org/
    FRH

I'll second the advice to try a LiveCD distro first if you're new to linux. As mentioned above, the fact that you don't have to install it to try it out is a major advantage for new users wanting to get a flavour of what linux has to offer.

Also, as mentioned above, try to avoid a dual boot for your first install if you can (ie would be great if you had a machine you could dedicate to linux) as this will simplify things for you for your first install

i also agree with the liveCD at first. keep in mind that running any OS from a CD will not be fast, but it still works.

the biggest issue for new users is "partitions". windows defaults to a simple 1 disk = 1 partition scheme. people in general have no idea why there is no place to put linux on their shiny 500GB drive that has 400GB free. the reason is because they put all of that 500GB into a single partition. effectively, windows expects to be able to use all of that 500GB, even if it doesn't have anything to put there now. when you do install linux, you will need to know the difference between unused space on a partition (which is still reserved for a use) and free space on a disk (which is not used and not reserved to be used).
    I know exactly how the PC works. I understand the OOO, superscalar and superpiplined designs. I just don't understand how the PC doesn't work as shown in so many cases.

I suggest PCLinuxOS. Its fast, easy and should work just fine on your hardware. You should be able to do most everything you want without commands, other than logging into root for updates & setting up some of the hardware. EASY

It's LiveCD so you can see if you like it then install if you do.

I'll second the PCLinuxOS suggestion. Kanotix is also very good, a step ahead of its cousin Knoppix in the minds of many.

LiveCD List

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

No matter what is recommended, just f or surfing the web, any live cd will do. I recommend xubuntu, because it is lighter and runs faster than the 600+mb iso brothers (xubuntu dl is -400mb)

Give it a try:
    http://www.xubuntu.org/

xubuntu uses the Ubuntu software base and XFCE as its window manager.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. I am currently playing with ubunta but will be experimenting with others.
    I think I might find a friend in one of these Linux Operating Systems. The best part it's FREE AND CAN BE INSTALLED ON AS MANY COMPUTERS AS I WANT. ( I think? )
    Abit IP35
    Core2 Duo E6850 9x412 - 3.71 GHz
    Freezer7 Pro
    2x1mb Balistics PC2-6400
    1Seagate 320GB - 1Maxtor 320GB Raid(0)
    1-EVGA 7600GT
    Antec 900
    Ultra Infinity 600W
    Samsung 730B
    Asus Sata DVD-ROM
    Samsung sata dvd-rw
    hercules game theater xp
    Logitech Z560 Surround

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie
    Thanks all for your help and suggestions. I am currently playing with ubunta but will be experimenting with others.
    I think I might find a friend in one of these Linux Operating Systems. The best part it's FREE AND CAN BE INSTALLED ON AS MANY COMPUTERS AS I WANT. ( I think? )
    YES! Linux is free for downloading and even if you have dial-up you can purchase the CDs for a few bucks plus shipping. If it wasn't for my flight sims I'd be Windows free.
    FRH

Lunix truely is a great thing. If only I could get my companies mainframe termanial to work with wine I would be windows free at home since I can get pretty much any game I want to play to work fine with wine.

Of course try them all, theres no reason not to, they are free after all. I personaly tried Suse, Fedora, Mepis, Slackware, Gentoo, and a few others before I got to Ubuntu. I find that Ubuntu gives me a nice balance, where I can have 100% control of things if I want to, or I can be lazy and let it configure things for me and use only GUIs, good for any kind of user I think.
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin DDR3
    HDD1: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 120GB SSD
    RAID 1 Array: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 512GB SSD x 2
    PSU: CORSAIR CX750