bind a key to an audio event?

I want to use my microphone on my computer....but i dont want is on all the time

can i somehow bind a key that is not used like say, the windows key on my keyboard, to mute/unmute my microphone

or maybe bind a key to activate the microphone while it remains by default in the off position...like a push-to-talk key

reson why i ask is I have a need to run ventrilo, I am one of the oddballs that i hang around that is not using windows...

I got ventrilo installed via wine and it works very well, however if the aplication is minimized or behind another program the key binds do not work...basically you have to be looking at the ventrilo window to use it...kind of sux if you want to play a game and talk

Re: bind a key to an audio event?

There is an application that is called HotKeys that may allow you to achieve what you are looking for. The documentation isn't all that great so you'll have to do some digging.

I set it up on my computer some time ago. But to be honest, I can't remember how I was able to determine each of the key codes from my keyboard. But once you've found them, then it's easy to configure. Just one single configuration file that's placed in the /etc directory.
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 06-22-2006 at 12:49 AM.

use xev to get the keycodes
    Testing - Please Ignore!

i got the key codes, but I think the application will not allow a hot key to work when the program is not in focus...

if another application takes focus, the hotkeys do not work.

maybe if there is some way to hold the application in focus while another program is runnig without this one being in front of it.

would making the application run in tray or as a service work...if so can a wine program be made to run in those ways?

Don't know if it will work at all (and I per usual have lost the guide I used...) with that app but if you are using KDE you can bind hotkeys to DCOM commands and various other ways of interaction with applications. Worked great for getting the volume up/down buttons on my keyboard working in linux.
    Check the control centre its in there somewhere...

Should be able to bind the alsa mute/unmute command (or a script that does it) to the key via one of a variety of apps (Hotkeys, lineakd, xbindkeys).

So first you'll need to find out the command for muting the mic with amixer

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Provicemo
    Should be able to bind the alsa mute/unmute command (or a script that does it) to the key via one of a variety of apps (Hotkeys, lineakd, xbindkeys).

So first you'll need to find out the command for muting the mic with amixer
    I Think that would probably work...i wonder how i would find out what that is though

seems it might be easier to just splice in a momentary switch into the mic cable...

Check the man page for amixer.
    I think amixer set Mic toggle should have the effect, but you might need to try around with a few things

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader