Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: CentOS and Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Woody1&2
    I do have access to that serverusing the internet (WebMail) that we have set up.
    That makes sense as Subnet 2 allows port 80 traffic in/out to your MAC, and apparently your email server on subnet 1 allows in/out traffic on port 80 as well.

When I try to send/receive, I get the error, No route to host.

When trying to do a traceroute from the command line, it gives me the same answer, no route to host.

From what I see, it possibly is not recognizing that it has to go through our gateway (which is actually our proxy server). The internet gets out since I set the web browser to go through it. Whereas everything else system-wide does not see that it has to go through that gateway.

Here is a simple diagram of our network.

INTERNET>>> Firewall >>> subnet 1 (which houses our mail server)
    >>> subnet 2 (which is where I am located)
    subnet 2 has a proxy server/gateway running Windows NT, and MS Proxy server.

As I said previously, I can reach the mail server from the internet (my home network) but not from within subnet 2, unless I go via web browser.

I used the same settings as I would setting up Outlook, which works fine.
    Hmmmm, so for simplicity sake

Subnet 1 = 10.1.1.0 /24 - location of mail server
    Subnet 2 = 192.168.50.0 /24 - your location AND proxy server/gateway

The 2 broadcast domains must be separated by a router - presumably 192.168.50.10, however, machines on Subnet 1 would also need a router say 10.1.1.254, and the mail server having a configuration of

IP - 10.1.1.253
    SM - 255.255.255.0
    GW 10.1.1.254 (which could be the same machine as 192.168.50.10 with a separate NIC (or I believe even the same NIC setup to respond to multiple IP addresses), although not a preferred method, would work)

In summice both subnets must have a router on thier respective subnets - configured with routes between the two, else NONE of the machines could talk to eachother, Subnet 2 would get network unreachable trying to access the internet, but would send and recieve mail fine, subnet 1 could reach the internet but not the mail server (except via webmail (port 80)).

For example if you had a cisco router, subnet 1 on FA0 and subnet 2 on FA1 with entries in the ARP table for each respective subnet, potentially configured as separate VLANS on 1 or more switches, if they're Cisco VTP could be enabled, as well as pruning which "could" wreak all kinds of strange havoc if misconfigured, I.E if your plugged into a switch in transparent mode, and a change was made to other switches running server/client VTP. It could actually get somewhat complex to fully discuss the setup here. However, most of that is moot, unless you are the ONLY one experiencing problems, AND the only one in a specific switch.

My best suggestion would be if you had another machine that is working on your subnet, Windows or Linux plug it into the port you're using, w/out making ANY changes see if it still works, if so, setup YOUR email on it momentarily and see if it works. You then can eliminate most setup on the network with the exception of perhaps switchport port-security, or an Access List, and any goofy problem with your email account on the server.
    Last edited by Jackal; 07-11-2006 at 04:26 AM.

Here is the output when trying to connect to your server.....
    [root@dougw dougw]# telnet www.comm-net.net:80
    www.comm-net.net:80/telnet: Temporary failure in name resolution
    [root@dougw dougw]# telnet www.comm-net.net:25
    www.comm-net.net:25/telnet: Temporary failure in name resolution
    [root@dougw dougw]#

This tells me DNS is not working properly when using a shell. What other DNS configuration could be set improperly? When going through the proxy for internet access, I am getting the DNS through that server, but not as though I am on a direct connection. I recall when using Windows, we could bypass the proxy (i.e., nothing would be logged) by setting the internet settings to a direct connection.

I am using the same exact computer, the only difference is a hard drive change. In fact, I still have the old hard drives in place, and switch the cables to switch back and forth between OS's till I get this figured out. When switching to Windows HD, it works fine. The CentOS HD is where things go awry.

There is no IP phone in between. There is an older Cisco Switch which connects all of the network together. I believe it is acting as a simple switch with no security options enabled. The switch model is WS-C2424C-XL-A ( I know, old!)

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4
    (AKA Idahopackersfan2, Woody, Woody1&2)

Could it have anything to do with the fact that we are running Windows NT for a Gateway? Is there something obscure that NT blocks that Linux sends that would throw a monkey wrench into the equation?

I have been planning to change the server over to a smoothwall firewall when I have time, but that will likely be a few months out.

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4

Does this ifconfig look right? Look at the errors?

[root@dougw dougw]# /sbin/ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:04:5A:52:A7:8B
    inet addr:192.168.50.1 Bcast:192.168.50.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::204:5aff:fe52:a78b/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:1190 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:860 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:152669 (149.0 KiB) TX bytes:79937 (78.0 KiB)
    Interrupt:9 Base address:0x6c00

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:1944 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:1944 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:1900769 (1.8 MiB) TX bytes:1900769 (1.8 MiB)

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4

Maybe I need to re-install the entire OSwhen I am here on the work network.... Something has to be getting configured incorrectly when I am not on this network when I install... I don't know if I have another option at this point. Like you said, you are running out of suggestions, and I too have run out all that I have.....

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4

Here is the output when trying to connect to your server.....
    [root@dougw dougw]# telnet www.comm-net.net:80
    www.comm-net.net:80/telnet: Temporary failure in name resolution
    [root@dougw dougw]# telnet www.comm-net.net:25
    www.comm-net.net:25/telnet: Temporary failure in name resolution
    [root@dougw dougw]#

This tells me DNS is not working properly when using a shell. What other DNS configuration could be set improperly? When going through the proxy for internet access, I am getting the DNS through that server, but not as though I am on a direct connection. I recall when using Windows, we could bypass the proxy (i.e., nothing would be logged) by setting the internet settings to a direct connection.

I am using the same exact computer, the only difference is a hard drive change. In fact, I still have the old hard drives in place, and switch the cables to switch back and forth between OS's till I get this figured out. When switching to Windows HD, it works fine. The CentOS HD is where things go awry.

There is no IP phone in between. There is an older Cisco Switch which connects all of the network together. I believe it is acting as a simple switch with no security options enabled. The switch model is WS-C2424C-XL-A ( I know, old!)

Try it w/out the : the shell doesn't need it like a browser would

so simply

[root@dougw dougw]#telnet www.comm-net.net 25

To answer your question Linux and Windows implementation of tcp/ip both closely follow the RFC's Linux moreso than windows.

DOH, DOH, DOH, DOH, DOH

Not sure what tripped it in me brain, YES you're exactly correct your problem IS with NT it REQUIRES NETBT or NETBIOS resolution, read WINS, which Linux does not natively support or at least I don't think it does. Sheesh, I wish I had READ your post the 1st time.

If that box was running win2k (the proxy server/gateway) or later, you'd have no problem.
    Last edited by Jackal; 07-11-2006 at 07:15 PM.

So in other words, I am not going to be able to get through that box... Dang! Looks like i need to upgrade that stinking Windows NT box after all. I will do a search and see if there is some support I can install for Netbios......

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4

So in other words, I am not going to be able to get through that box... Dang! Looks like i need to upgrade that stinking Windows NT box after all. I will do a search and see if there is some support I can install for Netbios......
    You can configure Samba on your Linux box to do WINS resolution for ya , I'll put up some research for you as I get some free time. I don't think it will be very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal
    You can configure Samba on your Linux box to do WINS resolution for ya , I'll put up some research for you as I get some free time. I don't think it will be very difficult.
    Here's a little starter for SAMBA for you.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/

Also check out the RHEL documentation available from their website.

Here's the relevant sections from /etc/samba/smb.conf

Code:
    # All NetBIOS names must be resolved to IP Addresses
    # 'Name Resolve Order' allows the named resolution mechanism to be specified
    # the default order is "host lmhosts wins bcast". "host" means use the unix
    # system gethostbyname() function call that will use either /etc/hosts OR
    # DNS or NIS depending on the settings of /etc/host.config, /etc/nsswitch.conf
    # and the /etc/resolv.conf file. "host" therefore is system configuration
    # dependant. This parameter is most often of use to prevent DNS lookups
    # in order to resolve NetBIOS names to IP Addresses. Use with care!
    # The example below excludes use of name resolution for machines that are NOT
    # on the local network segment
    # - OR - are not deliberately to be known via lmhosts or via WINS.
    ; name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
    # WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
    ;   wins support = yes

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
    #	Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
    ;   wins server = w.x.y.z

# WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
    # behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
    # at least one	WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
    ;   wins proxy = yes

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
    # via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
    # this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
    	dns proxy = no
    Also, I believe Spankin Partier may have some first hand experience setting up WINS on samba - I believe he set up a PDC using samba. I didn't bother with WINS or PDC features when setting up my samba server

Ned

NED, as always, you R O C K!!!!, G/L to you Woody, you're in good hands with NED and Spankin, they're Linux skills with Samba (and in general for that matter), FAR exceed mine, if I can help in any other way I'll be glad to.

This should solve your issue with network resolution.
    Last edited by Jackal; 07-11-2006 at 09:17 PM.

Yes, setting up SAMBA as a PDC (Primary Domain Controller) is not hard at all. I've got our SAMBA system set up better then I was ever able to get WinNT Server set up. It supports everything the modern Windows servers do except for Active Directory (it can be a client to such a network, just not a AD server), it can't be a redundant server for another Windows server (I can't remember the proper term for that but I doubt you'd need that anyways).

Most of what I learned on SAMBA I learned from the online book Ned pointed out. It's a really GREAT book! The only issue I had with that is it suckered me into trying Roaming Profiles. BIG mistake! Stay away from that! Especially if you have any WinXP clients.

If you need any help getting it going, I'll gladly post snipets of my SAMBA config files.

As always guys, I get the best information from THIS forum! You guys all rock! I will hopefully get that working tomorrow when I have a little time to devote to it.

Just found out tonight though that my dog has cancer again. About 4 months ago, she had a huge tumor removed, and now it seems to have come back with a vengence. I am opting not to do surgery this time, so I have to make a call to see when is appropriate to put her down.... I owe that little dog a lot of fun.....

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4

Dang that sux, I had to that before, sorry Woody1&2.

Evidently I brike something. I can't get the nmbd to run now. I think that is all that is holding the system up from working properly..... I messed with the nsswitch.conf, and even changing it back doesn't appear to help.

What do I use as the WINS server then? Do I use local host to get it to go through Samba, or the ip of the actual wins server?

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4

So the only way I can get this working (from what little I have had time to read) is to set my samba server to be the primary WINS server? Would it be easier to Cange out the WinNT machine?

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4