Leading Saudi Sheik Pronounces Fatwa Against Hezbollah

Need more stories like this..

By ELI LAKE - Staff Reporter of the Sun
    July 20, 2006

CAIRO, Egypt — One of Saudi Arabia's leading Wahhabi sheiks, Abdullah bin Jabreen has issued a strongly worded religious edict, or fatwa, declaring it unlawful to support, join or pray for Hezbollah, the Shiite militias lobbing missiles into northern Israel.

The day after Hezbollah abducted two Israeli soldiers on July 12, Sheik Hamid al-Ali issued an informal statement titled "The Sharia position on what is going on." In it, the Kuwaiti based cleric condemned the imperial ambitions of Iran regarding Hezbollah's cross border raid.

The surprising move demonstrates that Sunni Muslim fundamentalists in the Middle East are deeply divided over whether Moslems should support Hezbollah, Iran's Shiite proxies in the war raging in Lebanon.

While the Gulf's ascetic Wahhabi sects, who are closer to the ethnic fighting between Sunnis and Shiites in Iraq, have opposed Hezbollah in its stand against Israel's forces, other Sunni fundamentalist groups, such as the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood, have pledged their solidarity. On Friday, the brothers will host a rally in support of Hezbollah at Cairo's most influential mosque, Al-Azhar.

The profound division between the most violent Muslim enemies of America and Israel may be one reason Arab capitals have not yet exploded in rage about Israel's bombardment of Lebanon. The White House has already pointed to Jordanian, Egyptian, and Saudi government condemnation of Hezbollah.

The latest Arab Israeli war presents a conundrum for many Sunni Jihadists. On the one hand, a chance to join in the resistance against the Jewish state presents a rare opportunity for zealots who revere the Palestinian Arab martyrs that have sacrificed their lives to kill Jewish civilians. But the main group doing the fighting, and instigating the war this time in Lebanon, are supported by the same Shiite state that supplies and funds the militias killing Sunni civilians in Iraq.

"I think that fatwas like Jebreen's are significant, because the division between Sunnis and Shia is more apparent than in the past," the director of the SITE Institute, a group that tracks the online Jihad community, Rita Katz, said yesterday. Mr. Jebreen retired two years ago from Saudi Arabia's government committee approving fatwas. Ms. Katz says he is considered one of the most respected and more mainstream Wahhabi clerics in Saudi Arabia.

The division between Sunnis and Shiites goes back to the Koran. Mohammed's son in law, Ali, claimed that he had been chosen as his successor, and to this day Shiites believe that Ali held the true claim to the Caliphate. Sunnis believe the prophet made no such choice and recognize the line of Caliphs that began with Abu Bakr, the choice of the prophet's companions after his death.

One can pick up some of this history in Mr. Jebreen's fatwa. In it he refers to Shiite Hezbollah as "rafidhis," meaning rejecters. In his religious edict, Mr. Jebreen writes, "Our advice to the Sunnis is to denounce them and shun those who join them to show their hostility to Islam and to the Muslims."

"Three years ago, I have not been seeing chatter along such lines.This became more prevalent following [the dead Al Qaeda leader in Iraq] Zarqawi's declarations against Shia. Iraq has a lot to do with this," Ms. Katz said yesterday. A week before Zarqawi was killed in June, he gave a four hour sermon entitled, "Did you get the message of the Shiites," where Ms. Katz says he portrayed the Shiites as the enemies of Sunni Muslims.

Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood, however, has not rejected Hezbollah. In the last three days the organization has sent condemning the shelling of Lebanon in Egypt's parliament and pledged solidarity. One member who deals with the press yesterday said, "Of course we are supporting the resistance. We have no choice."

Ms. Katz says the support of the brothers is to be expected. "The Muslim Brothers, as expressed by their ideological leaders Hassan al-Banna and Sayed Qutub, believe that support should be given to those who fight a joint enemy. Moreover, unlike the Wahhabis, the Brothers do not consider Shia as Sunnis' enemies," she said yesterday.

For Egypt's secular opposition the effect of the Lebanon war has been most dramatic. Two weeks ago members of the group Kafaya, a small coalition of leftists that broke major taboos in Egypt in 2004 by holding open protests against President Mubarak, were agitating for greater press freedoms. Yesterday, the group organized a small rally in front of the Lebanese embassy where most of the demonstrators held up photocopied photographs of Hezbollah spiritual leader, Hassan Nasrallah. A few waved Hezbollah flags.

"People of different backgrounds and agendas will come together on this issue in a crisis," one of the organizers, Ahmad Salah, said. The rally, while small, showed that secular liberals had migrated to the Islamist agenda, just as months earlier the Islamists in Cairo had migrated to theirs.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Re: Leading Saudi Sheik Pronounces Fatwa Against Hezbollah

Yes. Just like weve been talking about in the other thread. There is a point...where reasonable people can agree and not give up their idendities.
    Its a diplomatic milestone. That we find an agreeable definition for the word "wrong"
    Its a start.

It's about time. If they want to continue to say Islam is a religion of peace, they are going to have to prove it to me (and not with just words).

Before long the whole damn region will be at war all we need to do is sit back and wait till the smoke clears.The suni/shia thing is spilling out from Iraq infecting the whole ME.

Man what great news.....my only fear is that the longer the Israel campaign against Hezbollah continues, it will be less likely we will be hearing this type of news.

I hope Israel wipes Hezbollah off of the map VERY QUICKLY.

^^And it gets better in case some have missed it just now.
    Who will Rice and Bush be talking to on Sunday before Rice does her trip?
    The Saudis...right here in DC.
    Mark the word. The Saudi's will play a major role in how this will be resolved.

I sense a change [weve been reading about it] that will help isolate the renegade regimes by pressure and help from the moderate Arab states.
    And I think its appropriate they have a bigtime role.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 07-21-2006 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24
    Man what great news.....my only fear is that the longer the Israel campaign against Hezbollah continues, it will be less likely we will be hearing this type of news.

I hope Israel wipes Hezbollah off of the map VERY QUICKLY.
    I agree that the longer the action takes, the harder it will be for Israel to maintain "world" support. Unfourtunately "world" opinion has never kept terrorists from kidnapping and murdering. Lets all just hope Israel can finish as quickly as possible. And I do mean FINISH, ie. as long as it takes to ensure their security.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

This means nothing, it wont change a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter
    I agree that the longer the action takes, the harder it will be for Israel to maintain "world" support. Unfourtunately "world" opinion has never kept terrorists from kidnapping and murdering. Lets all just hope Israel can finish as quickly as possible. And I do mean FINISH, ie. as long as it takes to ensure their security.
    Agreed....what I was trying to say is that the longer Israel is ibvolved in the invasion of an Arab nation, the less likely we are to see Arab nations coming out to support Israel and or condemn Hezbollah.

After all, they are still Jews invading an Arab/Muslim nation. I'm just curious for how long any arab nation would support this type of action.

Israel had the right to defned itself no doubt, and I certainly think their actions so far have all been justified. But I think they also know that unless they want to really start WWIII, they need to act quickly, secure themselves, and then look for peace....whatever that may be

Kudo's to the Saudi's

^^^ ditto, ditto...

Looks like the EU is gonna take the appeasement approach as usual. If hezbollah is not a terrorist organization according to the EU... who exactly is? Think ABP summed it up nicely:

I'm fairly certain that if the EU was around during WWII they would've refrained from labeling the Nazi's as a "fascist" organization and rather called them something like a "Fraternal German Organization".
    EU Envoy Solana meets with Israeli leaders

EU Envoy Solana meets with Israeli leaders
    The European Union’s High Representative for Common Foreign and Security Policy Javier Solana met with Israel’s government leaders today to discuss the current crisis in northern Israel and Lebanon.

In a joint press conference with Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni, Solana said he believes it is unnecessary for Hizballah to be on the EU’s list of terror organizations, but that the EU strongly disapproves of Hizballah’s actions.

“There is no justification for abducting the soldiers,” said Solana. “Our goal is to see an end to this bloodshed.”

Livni reaffirmed that Israel is fighting to protect its citizens as it seeks to eliminate the threat of terror from the region.

“Israel intends to work with the international community based on principles outlined in the statement issued by the G-8 on July 16,” said Livni. “It is our mutual interest to ensure a safe future for the peoples of the region.”

In a separate meeting, Vice Premier Shimon Peres added that “Israel is a country that stands firm against terrorism and we have not requested from any country to send soldiers to defend us. Israel is right, strong and steadfast in its steps.”
    Sh*t, Hezbollah better watch it. The EU "strongly disapproves" of their tactics.

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24
    Agreed....what I was trying to say is that the longer Israel is ibvolved in the invasion of an Arab nation, the less likely we are to see Arab nations coming out to support Israel and or condemn Hezbollah.

After all, they are still Jews invading an Arab/Muslim nation. I'm just curious for how long any arab nation would support this type of action.

Israel had the right to defned itself no doubt, and I certainly think their actions so far have all been justified. But I think they also know that unless they want to really start WWIII, they need to act quickly, secure themselves, and then look for peace....whatever that may be

Kudo's to the Saudi's
    The Saudis know that they have more to fear from Iran than from Israel. Politics makes strange bedfellows, sometimes VERY strange bedfellows.

^^^ Got that right. What happens when the enemy of your enemy is still not your friend?

OT, but I thought it was funny this scumbag got caught hiding among the women and children like his terrorist buddies. As usual those who preach hate and encourage others to die for the cause run for the cover of the governments they condemn when things get rough. Hypocrisy sooo thick...

Exiled Bakri in SOS plea

Exiled Bakri in SOS plea

By DAVID WOODING
    Whitehall Editor

EXILED preacher of hate Omar Bakri has begged the Royal Navy to rescue him from war-torn Beirut.

The Muslim cleric who fled Britain last year, tried to board a ship full of women and children yesterday but was turned away.

He also wrote to the British embassy asking to be allowed back on “humanitarian grounds”.

In an email to officials, dole scrounger Bakri pleaded: “The current situation in Beirut left me without any choice but to appeal to you to grant me a visit visa to see my children for one month.”

But his bid to sneak on one of our ships was blocked at harbour gates by sharp-eyed officials.

Bakri, 46, left his family in Edmonton, North London, last August and went to Lebanon after a Sun campaign to kick him out.

Charles Clarke, then Home Secretary, banned him from returning here.

The mad mullah, who hailed terrorists as “magnificent” martyrs, bought a £150,000 bolthole in the exclusive Doha district of Beirut.

In March he boasted: “When I left England I bought a one-way ticket out. I never want to see the place again.”

But cowardly Bakri changed his tune as soon as bombs started dropping.

He contacted the British embassy asking to be allowed back to see the six children he deserted. Bakri said last night: “What concerns me is my safety. I’d be happy with a month’s visa but this morning they told me I couldn’t because I’m not a British citizen any more.”

Shadow Immigration Minister Damian Green said last night: “This man has a cheek trying to come back to Britain after what he did here.”

A diplomat said: “He hasn’t spoken to any of our people. But he may have been turned away by security guards patrolling the port entrance.”

Anjem Choudary, Bakri’s right-hand man, said last night: “He plans to write to the British authorities and see if they will give him a visa for a passage out.”

Syrian Bakri can’t return there because he faces 20 years’ jail over a coup bid.

Over 20 years in the UK, Bakri sponged £300,000 in benefits. He preached violence and praised the 9/11 al-Qaeda terrorists as the Magnificent 19.

Bakri, dubbed the Tottenham Ayatollah, was a member of al-Muhajiroun, which he left to form al-Ghuraba.

Both have since been outlawed.

-The Gipper