Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Re: Israel gets it.....while the rest of the world holds its breath

Because it forces the issue on the Lebanese government to expell and disarm the nut faction that exists within its borders.
    The government in question had no power to do so, the Hezbollah are more powerful then the government and that was the primary reason the Lebanese were unable to control the northern border area. ( Besides the Lebanese have internal issues and require there forces closer to home.)

Add to this mess the Israeli's bombing the military infrastruture back to the stone age, the Lebanese don't have anything to use against the Hezbollah positions. ( This also has made it possible for Hezbollah to topple the government which are mostly moderates at the moment.)

This has been the key problem for most of the region, groups like Hamas and Hezbollah have become more powerful then the governments in many regions and they have no home country so attacking any of the contested countries will not stop them. ( All you do when you do this type of action is add more recruits from within and from without.)

It also must be considered that groups like Hezbollah and Hamas use a cell structure in order to avoid being easily wiped out, they also suffer from the inability for anyone cell to force all other cells to comply. ( The Hamas government is a good example of this failing.)

Im not so sure its lack of ability but perhaps desire. Like living with an armed mafia in the country that sucks folks in by the occasional good deed [via Iranian cash]
    Wasnt there a UN resolution that demanded these nuts be disarmed?

Am I to believe 6000 or 7000 people cant be disarmed?

With an Army potential like this?

Manpower available for military service:
    Definition Field Listing
    males age 18-49: 974,363
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 07-14-2006 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal
    Im not so sure its lack of ability but perhaps desire. Like living with an armed mafia in the country that sucks folks in by the occasional good deed [via Iranian cash]
    Wasnt there a UN resolution that demanded these nuts be disarmed?
    Some time ago... Israel withdrew in compliance with the UN. Lebanon to this day has still not complied with the UN and taken control of the area along Israel's border. Instead it's become a Hezbulla militarized zone. If Lebanon lacks the wherewithal or will(I believe the latter to be true) to police their own territory of terrorists within their own borders, they have no compelling argument when the neighbor the terrorists are attacking from within their borders do it for them.

The argument that this will just further fan the flames is empty. Hezbullah and Hamas have been continually lobbing missiles into Israel for some time now. What exactly has Israel to loose for defending themselves vs. just sitting there and being a target for those who wish them to be wiped from the face of the earth anyway? IMHO they have nothing at all to loose and everything to gain.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

A bit more about what Israel IS capable of:

Dad Weighs In

Friday, July 14, 2006
    Dad Weighs In
    Topics: Uncategorized

My dad was a general in the Egyptian army. His comments are always so informative especially if they were related to a war that broke out. He had this to say about Lebanon:

This idiot Nasrallah. He is so funny. He keeps on issuing threats, he has no idea what he is talking about. What Israel is doing to him now is just gentle padding on the shoulders. Abou Shakha dah didn't see what we saw. Israel fought on 3 fronts in 1967 and it was hell. I was there, I saw it all. He has no tanks, no boats, he has nothing except a few toys he got from Iran and it seems abu shakha dah don't know that Israel confronted 3 of the most powerful armies in the region at the same time. If Israel wanted to brutally crush him it can do so in 1 hour.

*Abu Shakha dah literally means "this guy with the piss". We use this slang term to refer to a grown up whose capabilities is of a baby who wets himself.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

^I saw that earlier.
    Its just so pointless for these clowns to instigate a war they cant win.
    All a distraction for the main weasels in the woodpile..Syria and Iran.
    And if I were Iran, I wouldnt be too convinced they are beyond the reach of Israel.
    But theyll bring everything to the brink of that then back off. Its all a stall.
    Symbolic crap.
    And it wouldnt bither me in the least to see the jerks in Lebanon [who have killed lots of our soldiers][look it up] reduced to a shadow on concrete.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 07-14-2006 at 08:12 PM.

These people can't win a conventional war, that is why they are terrorists. Look at Iraq.

And they cant win an unconventional war without our permission...thats what is pathetic.
    [an Ayn Rand moment there]
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 07-14-2006 at 09:30 PM.

Where could these guys get a drone from ? Boy, bet Israel wasn't expecting that..!
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060715/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Hezbollah rammed an Israeli warship with an unmanned aircraft rigged with explosives Friday, setting it ablaze after Israeli warplanes smashed Lebanon's links to the world one by one and destroyed the headquarters of the Islamic guerrilla group's leader.
    Sh*t is getting serious..Is this the beginning
    of WW3 ? Who now thinks this whole mid
    east deal isn't a campaign with religion
    as the core ?

If Lebanon lacks the wherewithal or will(I believe the latter to be true) to police their own territory of terrorists within their own borders, they have no compelling argument when the neighbor the terrorists are attacking from within their borders do it for them.
    Notice where the Israeli's have been attacking, not the terrorist controlled area but the government controlled side.

These people can't win a conventional war, that is why they are terrorists. Look at Iraq.
    If you want a stand up war then remove arms embargos and supple arms to match the Israeli's, otherwise don't complain when the other side decides to fight in the only effective manner available. ( At least in there minds.)

This is beginning to remind me of the WW1 and the complaints over the "loss of gallantry" in conflicts. ( Trench warfare, mg and arming airplanes.)

Both sides are using the same principles for fighting, attack the civilians ( And the infrastructure for civil use.) in order to force the other side to stop fighting. The problem being the civillians at this point have very little means to compel either side from stopping this conflict.

This is very much playing chicken with no brakes. ( And removing the steering wheel.)

Not the end of the world, But they sell pictures of it

I heard someone on a news show who said Lebanon doesn't have a big enough army or enough weapons to eliminate Hezbollah from their country.

I agree Isreal should not be attacking Lebanon when most of Hezbollah is 10 miles north of Isreal's border. Take it out on Hezbollah, not Lebanon. Attacking one of the few democracies in the region is not a good idea.
    The Heat 99-0-0

Trading Post Rules

Sound Familiar? "If we quit Vietnam," President Lyndon Johnson warned, "tomorrow we'll be fighting in Hawaii, and next week we'll have to fight in San Francisco."

I cant believe some of what I read sometimes.
    "Cant we have a war where nobody gets hurt?" "Why bomb the airport and highways?"

Jim, Israel is demanding Lebanon deal with the militants but is in the process of destroying the Lebanese military and its airforce.

Kinda hard to deal with the militants if your forces have been damaged.

I can think of a half-dozen nations that would have supplied the Lebanese government with whatever aid necessary, iff they chose to accept their governmental responsibilities and expel this terrorist militia from their borders. They have chosen, for years, to harbor, aid, and abet terrorists, and terrorist attacks.

There are reasons, and there are excuses; denying Lebanons part in this 'war' is the latter.

Israel has stepped beyond "demanding" anything at all, besides getting their people back.

Likewise the civlilians had every opportunity to vote in a leadership that truly wanted to work towards peace. They choose war, they almost literally voted for war when they elected Israels most hated terrorist nemesis as their representatives.

Though I don't know if I can even hope to exchange anythingwith a person who feels that bombing a bridge at night during war is the same as suicide bombing a bus on a holy day?
    Last edited by mostholycerebus; 07-15-2006 at 04:42 AM.

Your getting the Palestians confused with Lebanese Holy.

The Lebanese don't have either Hamas or Hezbollah as political parties in power.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    Your getting the Palestians confused with Lebanese Holy.

The Lebanese don't have either Hamas or Hezbollah as political parties in power.
    Lebanon *is* as Lebanon *does*. I don't care who's in "power".
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"