Exclamation ATTN: Linux Heads

I just updated the freeware thread, and I was thinking about making another category for Linux apps.

I only know of a handful of apps, and hardly enough for a category ATM, but I'm sure some of you guys know of some great ones.

Also, I understand that there are alot of apps that offer both Windows, and Linux versions, I would appreciate it if you post the page where the Linux versions are available for download.

And would a willing mod please copy this over to the Linux forum...
    Thanks.......

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Re: ATTN: Linux Heads

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939
    Thanks.......
    Done

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939
    I just updated the freeware thread, and I was thinking about making another category for Linux apps.

I only know of a handful of apps, and hardly enough for a category ATM, but I'm sure some of you guys know of some great ones.

Also, I understand that there are alot of apps that offer both Windows, and Linux versions, I would appreciate it if you post the page where the Linux versions are available for download.

Thanks.......
    This might help with some of it. It is from the sticky post above. the stickied link 404's now. It is a good 404 though.

A table of Linux/Windows equivalents. Not necessarily all freeware: http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html That is just sort of a get started list.

The number of linux apps are sort of endless. They tend to be lots and lots of different frontends to a few groups of command line utilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Senor Panadero
    the stickied link 404's now. It is a good 404 though.
    Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Senor Panadero
    The number of linux apps are sort of endless.
    Yes, the concept of "Freeware" doesn't really exist in the Linux world, as nearly all software is open source, so therefore free in monetary terms, anyway. Even the closed source stuff is mostly free (re: Acrobat Reader etc).

Ned

Maybe for Linux we can start a list of commercial software that is worth paying for. I'd nominate the bru backup restore utility and the nomachine server. Bet no one expected me to say to chime in with this.
    Testing - Please Ignore!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybgood
    Maybe for Linux we can start a list of commercial software that is worth paying for.
    Very good idea! Linux app lists have been done countless times, but never seen a "comercial product worth spending money on rather than just going with free/OS alternatives".

Then again, the only payware software I'm using at all is imaging softare AcronisTrueImage and SAV Unmanaged Client for my WinXP installs. Though about getting spinrite at some point, but other than that I have everything I need as IT-Support guy in free/OS utilites.

DrCR

Last edited by DrCR; 07-24-2006 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    Nice

Yes, the concept of "Freeware" doesn't really exist in the Linux world, as nearly all software is open source, so therefore free in monetary terms, anyway. Even the closed source stuff is mostly free (re: Acrobat Reader etc).

Ned
    We could make a list...it would just be a really, really, REALLY long list

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

Hehe! This is actually rather funny when you think about it. In Windows it's always the search to find good 'free' software, yet in Linux it's a search to find decent software to pay for!

Ok, I nominate the following two applications as they are the only non-GPL apps I've got in my system:

1. Doom III
    2. TurboPrint <--- The superior drivers for your Canon printers (as well as many other manufacturers)!

Quote Originally Posted by Provicemo
    We could make a list...it would just be a really, really, REALLY long list
    How many titles are on a set of Debian DVD's? Six thousand or something like that?

For worthwhile pay applications, haven't used them, but many seem to speak highly of Crossover Office for MS Office-type stuff and Cedega for gaming.

Gentoo's portage has 11229 packages right now, and there are plenty of things missing

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader