" Has Orwell's '1984' Come 22 Years Later?"

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...23253&from=rss

gabec asks: "This weekend my mother bought a grille lighter, something like this butane lighter. The self-scanner at Kroger's locked itself up and paged a clerk, who had to enter our drivers license numbers into her kiosk before we could continue. Last week my girlfriend bought four peaches. An alert came up stating that peaches were a restricted item and she had to identify herself before being able to purchase such a decidedly high quantity of the dangerous fruit. My video games spy on me, reporting the applications I run, the websites I visit, the accounts of the people I IM. My ISP is being strong-armed into a two-year archive of each action I take online under the guise of catching pedophiles, the companies I trust to free information are my enemies, the people looking out for me are being watched. As if that weren't enough, my own computer spies on me daily, my bank has been compromised, my phone is tapped--has been for years--and my phone company is A-OK with it. What's a guy that doesn't even consider himself paranoid to think of the current state of affairs?"

The sad state of affairs is that Big Brother probably became a quiet part of our lives a lot earlier. The big question now is: how much worse can it get?

Am I just accustomed to old ways? Does the new generation, born with these restrictions, feel the weight of these bonds and recoil from my fears as paranoia? What can I, a person with no political interests--a person that would really rather think that the people in office are there because they're looking out for us, our rights, and our freedoms and not because their short-sightedness is creating a police state--do to stem the tide?"
    Good question. I predict a neat left-right division on the answer. Go.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Re: " Has Orwell's '1984' Come 22 Years Later?"

Photo ID's for lighters and peaches? Is the question do I think this guy is lying to make his story even remotely interesting? Then yes. Is the question is this guy paranoid? Then yes. Is the question do I believe this guy has no political leanings? Then no.

Wanna find out if kids feel the "oppressed"? Go ask them. Even if any or all of what he claims in the above story is true, where are his actions being restricted?

Mom still got her grille lighter.
    His girlfriend still bought four peaches.
    He can opt to not use his computer at any time if he feels it is spying on him.

and finally....

He can still freely leave this "police state" at any time by simply walking across the nearest border..... if the neighbors will have is paranoid @ss.... That "right" enough for ya Orang?
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

I'm not going to comment on the police state thing, but I've got to call serious BS on those Kroger's anecdotes. He's also exaggerating quite heavily on the other stuff as well.
    Who the hell uses automated self-checkout to buy 4 peaches anyway?
    Heatware: Sabrewulf165 62-0-0

The big question now is: how much worse can it get?
    Is that the question? I guess it depends on whether you want to know how fantastic the fables can get or if Big Brother can get more intrusive. Either way, the answer of course, is that it can get worse.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

LOL
    While I do think Orwell was cool,this guy writing the article make a valid point but umm,I dont think I ever been asked for my drivers license when buying a lighter or peaches better yet lol.
    And that video games spy on him lol. Im gonna throw out my copy of HL2 and BF2 right now lol

now finally for an orwell book i have read.....yes It is here. only difference is its only used for gathering intellegence and propaganda. Active enforcement isnt an issue yet..but eventually will be. thank god the legislative branch is slow and spends too much time argueing trivial bs. On the other hand the corporations have picked up thier slack.
    Last edited by PaternityTest; 07-29-2006 at 03:33 PM.

Orwell spreads propaganda?
    I dont think so,those were just his visions of a possible totalitarian state.
    He was opposed to both fascism and stalinism and ran with the anarchists and troskyists in the spanish civil war

The only mention i make of orwell is i read his book. 1984

In the book 1984 its shows how intellegence and loss of privacy can be used.
    im saying out of the big three vices of the state described in 1984.
    intelligence gathering, propaganda, enforcement
    We have 2. and its mostly run by businesses not the state.
    Intel is gather from companies mostly and is used for marketing.
    lets not forget msm is corporate aswell.
    There is as much money spent on associating a product with a need or concept of coolness than there is producing the product.
    they dont have the right to enforce laws aside from infringments of thier rights via lawsuits so its actually a lesser evil than state ran intelligence.

State and buisness go hand in hand,who do you think supports certain political partys financially?

Peaches? I'm sorry, I've simply never heard of peaches being restricted.

I think this guy is making crap up.
    PORTABLE: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 4GB PC6400 DDR2 | 160GB 7200rpm HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | 8x DVD±RW/Blu-Ray | 15.6" UltraSharp TrueLife display

Quote Originally Posted by sabrewulf165
    I
    Who the hell uses automated self-checkout to buy 4 peaches anyway?
    Well, it is faster than the express aisle!

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMan
    Peaches? I'm sorry, I've simply never heard of peaches being restricted. I think this guy is making crap up.
    I'm going to have to say I agree. Some of the points he makes sound simply implausible.