AV8 post code 9f

I did search for this trouble, but the threads on it didn't seem to apply to my problem. The only thing I've done is replaced my Antec 430 PSU with a brand new Seasonic S12-500. No response. Led2 on the mobo lights up when I've got power to the PSU, but the machine won't even hickup. Could it have something to do with the new ATX spec of the PSU? They've finally ditched the -5V lead, for example.

edit: connected the case speaker. I get a long beep followed by a short beep when I try to boot. No idea what it means, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Spetulhu; 08-01-2006 at 03:07 PM.

Re: AV8 post code 9f

9F is standard, shown after uGuru chip successfully started

The one long followed by short is according to original IBM standards, a motherboard issue.

I don't really quite remember, but I think that mine also gave me a long-short, and it always seemed to work fine.

I don't know why this would give you trouble just by replacing the PSU. One thing I remember seeing somewhere, is that you definitely need to have that -5v on that board, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TeKKiE
    I don't know why this would give you trouble just by replacing the PSU. One thing I remember seeing somewhere, is that you definitely need to have that -5v on that board, but I could be wrong.
    Who knows? I put the old Antec back in and the machine's running like it should again. Tested the Seasonic with my reserve machine that's got a 24-pin ATX connector and still nothing. Finally shorted the PSU's power-on pin and connected the cable. The fan doesn't turn. Seems it's a DOA power supply, not a problem with the mobo.

Quote Originally Posted by Spetulhu
    Who knows? I put the old Antec back in and the machine's running like it should again. Tested the Seasonic with my reserve machine that's got a 24-pin ATX connector and still nothing. Finally shorted the PSU's power-on pin and connected the cable. The fan doesn't turn. Seems it's a DOA power supply, not a problem with the mobo.

Bleh, I hate RMA's. Tis why I never like to think I have something DOA....

Quote Originally Posted by TeKKiE
    Bleh, I hate RMA's. Tis why I never like to think I have something DOA....
    First time for me. And I suspected some kind of mobo issue since a new and expensive PSU has to be working, right?That'll teach me to test new equipment before I rip apart a working machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Spetulhu
    First time for me. And I suspected some kind of mobo issue since a new and expensive PSU has to be working, right?That'll teach me to test new equipment before I rip apart a working machine!

LOL! That's why I've been building PC's since I was 8~9 years old. You tend to learn quite a bit about hardware, and it'll save you some money in the end. Speaking of which, I have a few hard drives that need to be sold

Talking Re: AV8 post code 9f

I've got quite enough HD space, thank you.

As for the PSU a replacement arrived today, and I installed it. No problem at all except the case fans became very loud. The Antec PSU had a dedicated fan-out connector that also controlled the fan speed, you see. No recourse except making the case fans run on 7V. Surprisingly enough I found several guides on this site!

My last build for myself I had a motherboard, video card and router all DOA. Yikes! Hopefully my next one for myself in 2008 will go better.
    Skaarj-laptop:Asus G750JW-NH71,Win8.1,Corei7-4700HQ,12GB DDR3 RAM,Nvidia GTX 765M 2GB,Realtek HD,TSST CDDVDW SN-208DN,WDC 750GB HD...
    SkaarjMasterDuo:WinXPSP3, Core2Duo E8600(Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P),Noctua NH-C12P,4GB Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-8500C5 RAM,Nvidia EVGA GTX-280 1GB,SB Audigy2 6.1,Klipsch 5.1 sats,Dayton sub,Pioneer VSX-819H-K rec,,Enermax 850W PSU,Lian-Li PC-71B full tower,Pioneer DVR-216D,BenQ DW1655,Asus E818A3T,2-1TB WD HDs.....
    Dragonslayer (at Mom's house now): WinXPSP3, P4 3.2GHz(Asus P4P800-Deluxe),Thermalright SLK-947U,3GB Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM,ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256MB,VGA Silencer,SB Audigy2 5.1,Seasonic 500W PSU,Silverstone FT01-B mid tower,LG DVD burner,Asus E616P3..
    Dragon1: Win98SE, AthlonXP 1900+(Soyo SY-K7V Dragon+),Thermalright AX-7, 512MB Crucial 2.5 DDR PC2100 SDRAM MSI GeF4Ti4400,SB AudigyGamer,Enermax 431W PSU...

9A and 9F are undocumented uguru codes that report something caused a forced shutdown. This can be a short or a power issue. As you know the bad PSU caused it this time.
    MSI K8N Neo2, Opteron 180, 2GB G.SKILL PC3200, ATI AIW 9600XT, Cooler Master Centurion 5 mid tower/Cooler Master RP-600-PCAR
    GA-K8NS-939, Opteron 175, 1GB PNY Verto PC3500 , ATI AIW 9600XT, Antec Super LANBOY mid tower/Cooler Master RS-450-ACLY
    A7N8X-E Deluxe, XP-M 2600+ @218x11, 1GB KVR PC3200, ATI 9550, Lian Li Mid tower/Cooler Master RS-450-ACLY
    AN7, XP-M 2800+ @218x11, 1GB HyperX PC3200, ATI AIW 9600XT, Antec Super LANBOY mid tower/Antec TPII Blue 480

http://classicplatforms.com/ Keeping "Old Tech" new.
    (formerly was known as SocketAPlus.com)