Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mouse Pointer too Slow XP

I recently purchased a new monitor and have it set to a higher resolution than I've ever used before (1280x1024). I've noticed my mouse pointer speed is slower as a result, especially while gaming. I use Win XP and have the pointer speed set to max and enhanced precision turned off. I'm using a basic microsoft optical mouse but have also tried a logitech optical mouse with the same results. Is there any way to speed up my mouse pointer?

Re: Mouse Pointer too Slow XP

In the Control Panel there should be an icon called Mouse. Open that, go to the Motion tab. Move the slider under Cursor Speed and Acceleration across to the right. Use Apply to set the changes

I already have the pointer speed set as fast as it will go and it still isn't fast enough. Is there any 3rd party software or tweak I can use to increase the speed?

Wow. That doesn't sound right... Have you got chipset and graphics drivers installed? Lack of graphics drivers can sometimes cause this. The graphics drivers also need VGA drivers to work properly. Sorry if I'm telling you what you already know.

Is anything else slow, like loading/refreshing icons on the desktop?
    Is the mouse slow with everything you use or is it just in applications/games, etc?
    Is the mouse PS/2 or USB?
    Have you installed drivers for either mouse or are you using default Windows mouse drivers?

Yes I have been using the latest chipset and graphics drivers. It's a standard Microsoft optical mouse and I have installed the latest intellpoint software (5.5 I think). I haven't tried installing the Logitech mouse drivers yet. I am currently using a usb port but have also tried hooking up an adapter and using a ps2 port with no luck.

The graphics drivers also need VGA drivers to work properly.
    I have my new monitor software installed if that's what you mean.

To clerify, the mouse speed isn't really slow by most peoples standards. I have been using the max speed at a lower resolution and since bumping it up to 1280x1040 I can notice the difference in windows somewhat. Where the problem really lies though is when I'm playing World of Warcraft. There is definitely difference in the pointer speed since the resolution change and it's effecting my gameplay. I have the pointer speed maxed for the in game settings as well. Thanks for the replies BTW.

EDIT: What was said previously was retarded (I had rectal cranial inversion).

Install your Logitech Mouse with the drivers. That shoddy MS optical mouse shouldn't do you any justice. Using the Logitech drivers will allow you to set acceleration beyond the standard mouse junk from windows.
    Last edited by TeKKiE; 08-04-2006 at 01:33 PM.

Sorry to hear about your rectal problems. I downloaded the latest logitech drivers which included 4 accelersation settings and my pointer now moves hella fast. I can't believe I didn't didn't try that ealier. Thanks for the replies.

I've actually been having the same problem after I've purchased my new monitor. I guess the way you can explain it is slow reaction time? I've done all the necessary troubleshooting as you guys have already outlined in the previous threads.

I'm running a Compaq Presario S6030NX

and i just bought this monitor

with an intellimouse 1.1a; no USB

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by nydev; 12-29-2006 at 01:11 PM.
    Regards,
    Daniel Michel
    New York Development

Im having same problem

Quote Originally Posted by puner View Post
    Im having same problem
    Where can i get this Logitech driver you guys are using?

Where can i get this Logitech driver you guys are using?
    www.logitech.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Thats a link to their homepage. I'm sure there isn't one universal "Logitech Driver"

Thats a link to their homepage. I'm sure there isn't one universal "Logitech Driver"
    The idea is to navigate to the mouse you are using, then on the right hand side you will see the option for Software. Either that or follow the Support links from the navigation bar at the top of the first page.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    The idea is to navigate to the mouse you are using, then on the right hand side you will see the option for Software. Either that or follow the Support links from the navigation bar at the top of the first page.
    But I thought that this thread was about the basic Microsoft Optical Mouse? isn't that what matt1212121 had?

Anyway, i got the MS mouse and it moves mad slow over my monitor (1680x1050), even though it is set to the max speed :S