Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: QUIZ: Anyone for Terrorist Profiling?

Quote Originally Posted by uncleel
    Why don't you write the guy who wrote the article Achmed?
    Ah, so I'm a Nazi for tossing a monkey into your wrench? And you're the one who posted this quiz and expouned upon it. You're the one who believes it. Why don't you own up to its faults?
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan

Actually the answer is (e): Chechens.

Aren't Chechens muslim?
    Nuke em'.

Yes, but they're not Middle or Near Eastern; they're Caucasian (actually from the Caucasus).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chechen_people#Religion
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by DHutson
    All?

Just a few names immediately come to mind; Timothy McVeigh, Terry Nichols, Eric Rudolph & Ted Kaczynski. Are any of these guys even Muslim? Let alone Middle Eastern..
    So we should not use profiling because it does not apply to ALL terrorists? By that same logic, should we stop immunizing kids against Polio because it will not save them from possibly getting cancer?

As for them changing their appearance, good. It just means it is getting more difficult for them to ply their trade overtly. But names and nations passports known to support terrorism are another clue. It would be irresponsable to ignore these facts. From the other thread:

About "profiling"..... anyone else see a theme? These attacks are nearly 5 years apart.

11 Aug 2006 06

19 Suspects In British Terror Plot ID’d

LONDON - British officials identified 19 of the suspects accused of plotting to blow up U.S.-bound aircraft, making public a list of names that fueled suspicions of a Pakistan connection. Travelers at Britain’s airports again struggled with increased security, and dozens more flights were canceled Friday.

Five Pakistanis have been arrested in Pakistan as suspected “facilitators” of the plot, a government official said, in addition to two Britons arrested there about a week ago.

The Bank of England said it had frozen the accounts of 19 people arrested Thursday. The men, ranging in age from 17 to 35, had names of Muslim origin, many of which are common in Pakistan.

The Names:

ALI, Abdula, Ahmed
    Date of birth (DOB): 10/10/1980
    Address: Walthamstow, London, E17

ALI, Cossor
    DOB: 04/12/1982

ALI, Shazad, Khuram
    DOB: 11/06/1979
    Address: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

HUSSAIN, Nabeel
    DOB: 10/03/1984
    Address: London, E4

HUSSAIN, Tanvir
    DOB: 21/02/1981
    Address: Leyton, London, E10

HUSSAIN, Umair
    DOB: 09/10/1981
    Address: London, E14

ISLAM, Umar
    DOB: 23/04/1978

KAYANI, Waseem
    DOB: 28/04/1977

KHAN, Assan, Abdullah
    DOB: 24/10/1984
    Address: London, E17

KHAN, Waheed, Arafat
    DOB: 18/05/1981

KHATIB, Osman, Adam
    DOB: 07/12/1986

PATEL, Abdul, Muneem
    DOB: 17/04/1989
    Address: London, E5

RAUF, Tayib
    DOB: 26/04/1984
    Address: Birmingham

SADDIQUE, Muhammed, Usman
    DOB: 23/04/1982

SARWAR, Assad
    DOB: 24/05/1980

SAVANT, Ibrahim
    DOB: 19/12/1980

TARIQ, Amin, Asmin
    DOB: 07/06/1983

UDDIN, Shamin, Mohammed
    DOB: 22/11/1970
    Address: Stoke Newington, London

ZAMAN, Waheed
    DOB: 27/05/1984

September 14, 2001

Washington D.C.
    FBI National Press Office
    (202) 324-3691

FBI Announces List of 19 Hijackers

The following is a list of the nineteen (19) individuals who have been identified as hijackers aboard the four airliners that crashed on September 11, 2001, into the North and South Towers of the World Trade Center in New York, the Pentagon, and Stony Creek Township, Pennsylvania. Information listed for each hijacker differs, but may include date of birth, address provided, or visa status. This is the extent of the information available at this time.

The FBI requests that anyone who may have information about these individuals-even though they are presumed to be dead- to immediately contact an FBI field office or call the toll-free hotline at 1-866-483-5137.

American Airlines #77
    Boeing 757
    8:10 am departed Washington Dulles for Los Angeles
    9:39 am crashed into the Pentagon

1) Khalid Al-Midhar - Possible residence (s) : San Diego, California and New York, New York; Visa Status: B-1 Visa, but B-2 Visa had expired.

2) Majed Moqed - No information available.

3) Nawaq Alhamzi - Possible residence (s) : Fort Lee, New Jersey and Wayne, New Jersey and San Diego, California.

4) Salem Alhamzi - Possible residence (s) : Fort Lee, New Jersey, and Wayne, New Jersey.

5) Hani Hanjour - Possible residence (s) : Phoenix, Arizona and San Diego, California. Believed to be a pilot.

American Airlines #11
    Boeing 767
    7:45 am departed Boston for Los Angeles
    8:45 am crashed into North Tower of the World Trade Center

1) Satam Al Suqami - Date of birth used: June 28, 1976; Last known address: United Arab Emirates.

2) Waleed M. Alshehri - Dates of birth used: September 13, 1974/January 1, 1976/ March 3, 1976/ July 8, 1977/ December 20, 1978/ May 11, 1979/ November 5, 1979; Possible residence (s) : Hollywood, Florida/ Orlando, Florida/ Daytona Beach, Florida; Believed to be a pilot.

3) Wail Alshehri - Date of birth used: July 31, 1973; Possible residence (s) : Hollywood, Florida, and Newton, Massachusetts; Believed to be a pilot.

4) Mohamed Atta - Date of birth used: September 1, 1968; Possible residence (s) : Hollywood, Florida/ Coral Springs, Florida/ Hamburg, Germany; Believed to be a pilot.

5) Abdulaziz Alomari - Date of birth used: December 24, 1972 and May 28, 1979; Possible residence: Hollywood, Florida; Believed to be a pilot.

United Airlines #175
    Boeing 767
    7:58 am departed Boston for Los Angeles
    9:05 am crashed into South Tower of the World Trade Center

1) Marwan Al-Shehhi - Date of birth used: May 9, 1978; Possible residence: Hollywood, Florida; Visa Status: B-2 Visa; Believed to be a pilot.

2) Fayez Ahmed - Possible residence: Delray Beach, Florida.

3) Ahmed Alghamdi - Possible residence: Delray Beach, Florida.

4) Hamza Alghamdi - Possible residence: Delray Beach, Florida.

5) Mohald Alshehri - Possible residence: Delray Beach, Florida.

United Airlines #93
    Boeing 757
    8:01 am departed Newark, New Jersey, for San Francisco
    10:10 am crashed in Stony Creek Township, Pennsylvania

1) Saeed Alghamdi - Possible residence: Delray Beach, Florida.

2) Ahmed Alhaznawi - Date of birth used: October 11, 1980; Possible residence: Delray Beach, Florida.

3) Ahmed Alnami - Possible residence: Delray Beach, Florida.

4) Ziad Jarrahi - Believed to be a pilot.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter

So we should not use profiling because it does not apply to ALL terrorists? By that same logic, should we stop immunizing kids against Polio because it will not save them from possibly getting cancer?
    No, but the article is entitled "Anyone for Terrorist Profiling?". Get it?

As for them changing their appearance, good. It just means it is getting more difficult for them to ply their trade overtly.
    You must not be familiar with the history of terrorism. Appearance-altering has been part of the repertoire almost since Day 1.

But names and nations passports known to support terrorism are another clue. It would be irresponsable to ignore these facts. From the other thread:
    I'm not sure if you know it, but lots of people have the same names in Islamic societies. You want to stop people from certain nations? Sure, but then what do you do about the British? Or the ones who go to other countries? Or ones with fake papers?

Oh yeah, I took uncleel's challenge. I typed this up to his 'PatriotPost' in the past couple minutes:

To whom it may concern,

I recently came across the article by Mark Alexander entitled "Anyone for Terrorist Profiling?". In reading through the little 'quiz', I noticed a few factual errors that are, frankly, inexcusable for someone claiming such experience, knowledge, and merits as Mr. Alexander.

The problems begin with the very first question, which asks readers to identify the responsible party for Robert Kennedy's assassination. Though it is widely believed by the masses that Sirhan B. Sirhan is a Muslim, he is actually a Maronite Christian. It is true, though, that he is Palestinian and hence Near Eastern.

Another obvious error, this one through misdirection and omission, concerns the Beslan crisis. The majority of those involved were not Near Eastern, but Chechen. Naturally with the difficulty in obtaining facts from the Russians it is hard to tell how many Near Easterners were actually involved, but the best evidence points to a total of two men of English and Algerian descent. Moreover, while the Moscow theater crisis did occur in 2002, the Beslan hostage situation took place two years later in 2004. In the former, Chechens alone were responsible. We'll ignore Russian culpability in the deaths of the hostages for the moment, as the hostage-takers were responsible for creating the situations in the first place.

Finally, though there are others points I could contest, I'd like to ask you what are the defining characteristics of "Middle-Eastern Islamist males between the ages of 17 and 40". Exactly how do you identify someone's religion? Shortly after the attacks on September 11th of 2001 there were violent incidents, and even deaths, of religious minorities within the United States. Many of those targetted were not Muslims but Sikhs, their traditional headgarb being mistaken in ignorance and hatred for a Kafia or other Islamic clothing. If one attempts to board a plane without wearing something overtly religious, how does one identify that person's religion? What happens when they disguise themselves as being an adherent to another religion? I'm sure Mr. Alexander needs no reminder that Near and Middle Easterners fall squarely into the 'white' category of ethnicity and race. Do Algeria and Morocco fall into the "Middle East" for you? Perhaps Kenya and Tanzania? Maybe Indonesia?

I await your response eagerly. Thanks.

- O

No doubt terrorists come in all colors and flavors but some require a closer look than others. Everyone should go through screening but it only makes sense to watch some closer than others. If I were targeted for more thorough screening (which could happen since some terrorists are also Asian), I would not mind in return for safer flying. Seems like a small price to pay. They cannot possibly thoroughly search everyone and if they searched a Sikh once in a while not realizing the difference, what's the harm?

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

I was searched in the airport in Madrid when I was coming back to the US.
    I was a little annoyed and felt like asking the Civil Guard If I looked like a friggen terrorist to him,I dunno(i was little intoxicated I had took a couple of valiums and drank a beer so I could sleep on the flight) maybe he thought I had dope on me that could have been the case lol.In the end he just searched me and all he found was my CD collection which all happen to be CD-Rs from mp3s I made,he laughed and let me go on.
    Last edited by Poci; 08-12-2006 at 06:46 PM.

No, but the article is entitled "Anyone for Terrorist Profiling?". Get it?
    Do I get it? I'm sure I do. What do all the TERRORISTS I listed above have in common? There is an elephant in the room Orang... your trying your hardest to ignore it.

You must not be familiar with the history of terrorism. Appearance-altering has been part of the repertoire almost since Day 1.
    And yet with all this appearance changing there are some VERY noticeable similarities in their names and places of origin.

I'm not sure if you know it, but lots of people have the same names in Islamic societies. You want to stop people from certain nations? Sure, but then what do you do about the British? Or the ones who go to other countries? Or ones with fake papers?About "profiling"..... anyone else see a theme? These attacks are nearly 5 years apart.
    Right, and those names are not hard to spot on a passenger list. Do I want to stop people from those societies? No. Do I think their common backgrounds should require them to be looked at a bit more closely before entry, hell yes. Fake papers. Lets get better at spotting them. I do not care what Nationality of the passport the name ALI, Abdula, Ahmed is printed on. If that is the name, the bearer and history of travel should be looked at a bit more closely.

Even the people from the film you have been pitching who are in "disguise" are easily spotted by people familiar with their ethnicity or training to spot them. I'm Chinese, I do not care how short you cut your hair or what you wear, I can spot another oriental a mile off. And yes, these attacks are nearly 5 years apart. You could transpose the names on either list to the other... Why would we NOT be on higher alert to these commonalities?
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

No doubt terrorists come in all colors and flavors but some require a closer look than others.
    Two points.

1.) The vast majority of muslims aren't terrorists, and not all terrorists are muslim.
    2.) Sampling groups is trickier then it looks, if a sample is too small you miss the ones your looking for and if its too large they slip through the cracks.

More empahize is needed on suspicious behavour rather then the racial profile.

As for them changing their appearance, good. It just means it is getting more difficult for them to ply their trade overtly. But names and nations passports known to support terrorism are another clue. It would be irresponsable to ignore these facts. From the other thread:
    I was pointing out that all Terrorists do not appear to be Muslim as Uncleel posted. At least one of the terrorists I mentioned could now be called a Christian Fascist.

I am sure that there is at least some profiling happening now. What level of profiling would you have? One check in line for Me and my innocent looking white friends and another line for what you think a terrorist looks like? That obviously won't fly.

Sorry, I just don't see how it is good that a terrorist could use profiling as a tool by changing appearance.
    "It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    heat

Do I get it? I'm sure I do. What do all the TERRORISTS I listed above have in common? There is an elephant in the room Orang... your trying your hardest to ignore it
    Man, this is like talking with a wall covered in foam; nothing gets through.

And yet with all this appearance changing there are some VERY noticeable similarities in their names and places of origin.
    What, are we children playing a game of cops and robbers? Don't you think that someone who is willing to give up their cultural identity to look like someone else isn't able also to give up their 'real' identity and get a set of fake papers? Do you take these people for simpletons?

Right, and those names are not hard to spot on a passenger list. Do I want to stop people from those societies? No. Do I think their common backgrounds should require them to be looked at a bit more closely before entry, hell yes. Fake papers. Lets get better at spotting them. I do not care what Nationality of the passport the name ALI, Abdula, Ahmed is printed on. If that is the name, the bearer and history of travel should be looked at a bit more closely.
    Right, we'll work on that 'spotting fake papers' thing. It's not like thousands of organised crime organisations aren't working on creating them and countering protection measures or anything.

Even the people from the film you have been pitching who are in "disguise" are easily spotted by people familiar with their ethnicity or training to spot them.
    No, they're not. Why? Because Near Easterners are white. Some look Mediterranean, some look Indian, some look Central Asian, and some look Western European. They have brown hair, black hair, red hair, blonde hair, black eyes, brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes, and everything in between. We might as well start practicing phrenology again.

I'm Chinese, I do not care how short you cut your hair or what you wear, I can spot another oriental a mile off.
    Here's a tidbit you might find interesting: the Near East is also 'oriental'. And to be frank, it's easier to identify someone as East Asian than someone as 'Near Eastern' when they do not dress in customary garb.

And yes, these attacks are nearly 5 years apart. You could transpose the names on either list to the other... Why would we NOT be on higher alert to these commonalities?
    I didn't say anything about attacks being five years apart; you did. You mixed up your quote.

And uncleel, that's a pathetic attempt to cover up your actions. At least own up to what you say rather than trying to weasel your way out.
    Last edited by Orangutan; 08-12-2006 at 08:13 PM.

Man, this is like talking with a wall covered in foam; nothing gets through.
    No lie... I mean, I know your dense and all... but you seem to have the hardest time spotting the tree's because the forest is blocking your view.

What, are we children playing a game of cops and robbers? Don't you think that someone who is willing to give up their cultural identity to look like someone else isn't able also to give up their 'real' identity and get a set of fake papers? Do you take these people for simpletons?
    I dunno, just a mere 1 reply ago you were propping up your argument with pictures of how terrorists change their looks to appear different. Now that the argument has gone to pot you come back and call others simpletons for replying to suggestions you yourself made. Way to go!

Right, we'll work on that 'spotting fake papers' thing. It's not like thousands of organised crime organisations aren't working on creating them and countering protection measures or anything.
    And thousands get caught every year trying to pass phony papers. Are you suggesting that we just stop checking? What is your point?

No, they're not. Why? Because Near Easterners are white. Some look Mediterranean, some look Indian, some look Central Asian, and some look Western European. They have brown hair, black hair, red hair, blonde hair, black eyes, brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes, and everything in between. We might as well start practicing phrenology again.
    Yes, they are. Have you seen the photos of those on the lists I provided above? How many had red hair, blue eyes and freckles? You think it's that hard to spot ME etnnicity, I could have picked all these guys out of a crowd easily.

Here's a tidbit you might find interesting: the Near East is also 'oriental'. And to be frank, it's easier to identify someone as East Asian than someone as 'Near Eastern' when they do not dress in customary garb.
    I find very little of what you print "interesting", especially your "tidbits". Be Frank... hell be Sally for all I care. People cal tell the difference, just get over it.

I didn't say anything about attacks being five years apart; you did. You mixed up your quote.
    No I did not. You claimed that they are changing their tactics. I am merely pointing out they have not. The liquid bombs are not new and the profiles of those listed in this new threat fit into demographic the OP used. The tactics they are using and the people committing the terrorism have not changed in some time.[/QUOTE]

-The Gipper

No lie... I mean, I know your dense and all... but you seem to have the hardest time spotting the tree's because the forest is blocking your view.
    My dense what? And what does that tree possess?

I dunno, just a mere 1 reply ago you were propping up your argument with pictures of how terrorists change their looks to appear different.
    Yes, they do. And?

Now that the argument has gone to pot you come back and call others simpletons for replying to suggestions you yourself made. Way to go!
    ... Would someone tell me what I'm supposed to do here? I mean, honestly, throw me a friggin' bone.

And thousands get caught every year trying to pass phony papers. Are you suggesting that we just stop checking?
    No, I'm not.

What is your point?
    That simply saying "well check their papers" isn't an answer. You said that names are a good way to check on people. I said that they can just get fake papers. Hence, you responded "let's get better at spotting them". No shit? It's not like law enforcement has been trying to do that for decades now.

Yes, they are. Have you seen the photos of those on the lists I provided above? How many had red hair, blue eyes and freckles?
    And just exactly how do you know what they looked like when they carried out their attacks?

You think it's that hard to spot ME etnnicity,
    It's not just one ethnicity; it's dozens.

I could have picked all these guys out of a crowd easily.
    Then maybe you ought to go work for the TSA.

I find very little of what you print "interesting", especially your "tidbits". Be Frank... hell be Sally for all I care. People cal tell the difference, just get over it.
    Not enough bran in your diet?

No I did not.
    ...Would you read your own damned posts for once? I mean, really, how difficult is that? Look:

Quote: (Originally Posted by Orangutan)
    I'm not sure if you know it, but lots of people have the same names in Islamic societies. You want to stop people from certain nations? Sure, but then what do you do about the British? Or the ones who go to other countries? Or ones with fake papers?About "profiling"..... anyone else see a theme? These attacks are nearly 5 years apart.
    Notice that last part? I'll pick it out since you seem to have trouble recognizing your own words.

About "profiling"..... anyone else see a theme? These attacks are nearly 5 years apart.
    That is how you screwed up your quote. Here, look at my post in response to yours again:

http://forums.pcper.com/showpost.php...8&postcount=27

See? I'll post it again, but I'm not expecting you to admit your error.

And yes, these attacks are nearly 5 years apart. You could transpose the names on either list to the other... Why would we NOT be on higher alert to these commonalities?
    Should I hammer this one home any more?

You claimed that they are changing their tactics.
    Actually, I have claimed that they can change their tactics midly and escape your racial dragnet.

I am merely pointing out they have not.
    Ahem.

As for them changing their appearance, good. It just means it is getting more difficult for them to ply their trade overtly.
    Emphasized:

just means it is getting more difficult for them to ply their trade overtly.
    If that's not you saying that they are 'changing tactics', I don't know what is. In fact, I said that changing appearance is an old and not new trick.

Appearance-altering has been part of the repertoire almost since Day 1.
    The liquid bombs are not new and the profiles of those listed in this new threat fit into demographic the OP used.
    And what 'demographic' is that? I've asked, repeatedly, for someone to explain to me what this supposed grouping is. I've yet to receive a response beyond being called a Nazi.

The tactics they are using and the people committing the terrorism have not changed in some time.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,1706814,00.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard...shoe_bomber%29

Yeah, black Frenchmen, East Asians, and men with English names like Richard Reid sure do fit into your 'profile'.

Im of middle eastern desent and have blonde hair and blue eyes lol the profile wouldnt apply to me or half my family.Plus alot of jews look to fit the profile.It just wont work guys.