Linux just rox, swap question though..

well I figured out all my video issues, if I turn on fast writes int the bios, on "reboot" I get a white screen, and can't shut down normaly, and I MUST have plug and play o/s set to yes, else it will not init AGP.

No big deal fast writes off, and p&p on, and no issues.

Question, free -m shows plenty of my 1GB of RAM available, yet it still uses swap space, is this normal?
    Last edited by Jackal; 08-12-2006 at 02:26 PM.

Re: Linux just rox, swap question though..

I'm fairly new to linux, so I'm not sure of this, but I think the swap partition is used to put hold things that aren't being used. So, if you had a program open, but you weren't using it, it would be put on the swap partition, regardless of how much memory is left.

It shouldn't be using much, but Linux likes to stretch out and use whatever is available. Post the output of free.

One important reason that Linux uses swap is that it is sometimes easier and faster to write dirty data to swap than to write it to the file system, depending on what other disk activity is taking place, what's being queued and where the heads are on the disk.
    Testing - Please Ignore!

If you've got memory or swap, the kernel will try to use it.

Is that plenty of RAM under Mem or -/+ buffers/cache?

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

probably depends on the VM on the specific kernel you use. for me, i don't use swap -- in fact i accidently commented the swap line from fstab for a few months with no issues. i have 1G of ram, and usually only 1/4th is used, with about 2/3s of the remaining used for disk cache.*

* linux keeps files and such in ram (hopeing you'll use them again) if there is nothing else to put there. this is why some apps like firefox take 10 seconds to load the 1st time, and 1 second the next times.
    I know exactly how the PC works. I understand the OOO, superscalar and superpiplined designs. I just don't understand how the PC doesn't work as shown in so many cases.

so I started up, hasnt used any swap space, just physical RAM, 150MB of 1GB, I guess the swap space kicks in when physical RAM is used up?

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain
    so I started up, hasnt used any swap space, just physical RAM, 150MB of 1GB, I guess the swap space kicks in when physical RAM is used up?
    Swap gets used under a variety of conditions as mentioned above (and unlike Windows, it's not necessarily an indication you're short of ram). Once some swap has been used, it'll probably show as remaining in use for ever and a day, or until you reboot (something most people rarely do on a linux box).