Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

"A suspect in the JonBenet Ramsey murder has been arrested in Thailand"

This ought to prove interesting. I've always thought the family was responsible, but what is this turn of events?

Here's the story:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/16/ra...est/index.html

(CNN) -- Authorities have arrested a possible suspect in the decade-old JonBenet Ramsey murder investigation, law enforcement sources told CNN on Wednesday.

An investigator with the Boulder County, Colorado, District Attorney's office is bringing the man from Bangkok, Thailand, CNN affiliate KUSA reported.

Sources told CBS News that he is a 41-year-old American and second-grade teacher.

Two law enforcement sources told CNN the man was under investigation for an unrelated sex crime when information led to his arrest in the Ramsey case.

"It is our hope that this arrest will bring some closure to the Ramsey family after a ten-year ordeal." said the family's attorney, Hal Haddon. "We respect the legal process and will have no further comment about the case or the evidence until that process is concluded."

JonBenet's father, John Ramsey, told 9NEWS in Denver that he has been notified of the arrest. Asked if he knew the suspect, Ramsey replied, "to the best of my knowledge, no," the station's Web site reported.

Prosecutors in Boulder have not confirmed the person's identity but are expected to hold a news conference Thursday.

KUSA reported that a man they call a suspect was arrested Wednesday morning and has confessed to certain elements of the crime that are unknown to the general public, KUSA reported.

JonBenet's beaten and strangled body was found in the basement of the family home in Boulder, Colorado, the day after Christmas in 1996. She was 6.

A grand jury investigation into the death of the child beauty pageant winner ended without charges in 1999.

The investigation focused a spotlight on the child's parents, John and Patsy Ramsey. Patsy Ramsey died in June of ovarian cancer. She was 49.

The Ramseys said an intruder committed the crime, but they remained the subject of suspicion and speculation.

In 2003 a federal judge dismissed a lawsuit against the Ramseys, blaming the police and the FBI for bungling the investigation. The Boulder County District Attorney's Office concurred with the judge's opinion the following month, saying there was little evidence against the couple

The Ramseys left Colorado and had a house in Charlevoix, Michigan, where John Ramsey unsuccessfully ran for office in 2004, and in Atlanta, Georgia.

CNN's Kelli Arena contributed to this report.
    Last edited by Orangutan; 08-16-2006 at 05:37 PM.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Re: "A suspect in the JonBenet Ramsey murder has been arrested in Thailand"

better late than never

I can only hope justice will be brought forth for that little
    girl.

Updated.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Orang. They were just blapping on Fox they got confessions out of the guy....stuff never made public[details of the case]

The murderer.

Police said Karr, 41, admitted to the killing after he was arrested Wednesday at his downtown Bangkok apartment by Thai and American authorities.
    Edit..The murderer ? Now there's questions
    that maybe this guy didn't do it..
    Last edited by no2guncntrl; 08-18-2006 at 06:12 PM.

^^Just reading about the guy. "I didnt mean to kill her...it was an accident...I loved her"

^^Ill bet. I wonder if youll learn to love ol smokey.

Now here is a parallel. Lets assume this guy is guilty for a minute.
    What do we do with guys like this? We remove them.
    So why is it such a stretch for some to "remove" terrorists?
    They both prey on innocents. Why are we willing to "negotiate" with terrorists yet there wont be negotiation with this kook?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/17/ra...est/index.html

Suspect confesses to killing JonBenet Ramsey
    Ex-teacher claims death wasn't intentional: 'I loved her'

Thursday, August 17, 2006; Posted: 11:20 a.m. EDT (15:20 GMT)

BANGKOK, Thailand (CNN) -- An American arrested in Thailand said Thursday he was with child beauty queen JonBenet Ramsey when she died in 1996 and called her death "an accident."

"I was with JonBenet when she died," suspect John Mark Karr, a 41-year-old schoolteacher, told reporters in Bangkok. "I loved JonBenet, and she died accidentally."

Asked by a reporter if he was an innocent man, Karr replied, "No." (Watch Karr's admission -- 1:15)

Karr will be extradited to Boulder within the next week and has been charged with murder, kidnapping and sexual assault on a child, said Ann Hurst, a Department of Homeland Security attache at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok.

Karr's arrest Wednesday came nearly a decade after the 6-year-old girl's body was found in the basement of her Boulder, Colorado, home -- setting off a media sensation.

The arrest also came less than two months after JonBenet's mother, Patsy Ramsey, died of cancer at 49.

Karr told The Associated Press he wrote Patsy Ramsey before she died to express his remorse.

"I conveyed to her many things, among them that I am so very sorry for what happened to JonBenet," he told the AP, which described him as sweating and stuttering.

Karr added that he believed Patsy Ramsey had read the letters he sent her.

Karr was arrested at his apartment in Bangkok.

According to colleagues at the Thai detention center where Karr was questioned, the suspect asked police what charges he was facing. When they replied first-degree murder, he said: "No, it's second-degree -- it wasn't intentional," said Lt. Gen. Suwat Thamrongrisakul, chief of Thai immigration. (Watch authorities describe what Karr said -- 14:54)
    Abduction gone awry?

Suwat quoted Karr as saying that he tried to kidnap JonBenet for $118,000 ransom but that the plan went awry and he strangled her, according to an AP report.

Karr had been a suspect for a while, Hurst said, adding that her office and the Thai police worked closely for two months before a judge believed probable cause existed for an arrest. (A look at John Mark Karrexternal link)

Karr was under investigation for an unrelated sex crime when information led to his arrest in the Ramsey case, two law enforcement sources said.

Karr's ex-wife, Lara Karr, told KGO-TV in California that she does not believe her former husband killed JonBenet because he was with her in Alabama at the time, The Associated Press reported.

The arrest likely will dispel the cloud of suspicion that has hung over JonBenet's parents, John and Patsy Ramsey, ever since the girl's death on December 26, 1996. (Watch John Ramsey react to the arrest -- 2:17)

John Ramsey discovered his daughter's body after the girl had been reported missing that morning and Patsy Ramsey said she found a ransom letter demanding $118,000.
    Ramseys always blamed intruder

JonBenet is buried in Georgia, where the family lived before moving to Colorado.

John and Patsy Ramsey made an impassioned plea on television in 1997 for information.

Autopsy results showed JonBenet received a massive blow to the head and was strangled with a rope that the killer tightened by twisting an attached paintbrush handle.

The Ramseys maintained an intruder killed their daughter, but they remained the subject of suspicion in the case.

A grand jury investigation ended with no indictments.

Karr confessed to some elements of the crime, law enforcement officials said, and had been communicating with someone in Boulder working with officials on the case. Earlier, CNN affiliate KUSA had reported that the elements the suspect had confessed to were unknown to the public.

Karr's online communications were a key part of the probe, officials said. (Read how Karr corresponded with a college professorexternal link)
    Patsy Ramsey knew of break in case

The arrest came too late for Patsy Ramsey, who died in June. However, John Ramsey said he and his wife knew investigators were pursuing a suspect.

"Patsy was aware that authorities were close to making an arrest in the case, and had she lived to see this day, would no doubt have been as pleased as I am," the statement said. (Read the full statement)

Pam Paugh, Patsy Ramsey's sister, said, "I don't feel that I need to stand here and say to the world, 'I told you so.' We are a family that has lived on the truth, and the truth as we knew it was that neither John nor Patsy, Burke [JonBenet's older brother] nor any other family member had ever laid a hand on JonBenet." (Watch JonBenet's aunt react to the arrest -- 4:36)

Ramsey attorney Lin Wood said Karr "has some background" in Conyers, Georgia, an Atlanta suburb. Karr's father and brother live in the Atlanta suburb of Sandy Springs.

Karr's brother, Nate, said: "This whole thing is ridiculous."

Asked whether he knew the suspect, John Ramsey told KUSA, "To my knowledge, no, I didn't, but I don't know enough yet to say for sure."

Patsy Ramsey was laid to rest beside her daughter in Marietta, Georgia. On Wednesday, a family friend taped a note to her grave. It read, "Dear Patsy, justice has come for you and John. Rest in peace."

CNN's Kelli Arena, Andy Flick, Randi Kaye and Narunart Prapanya contributed to this report.

Copyright 2006 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.
    Well I'll be damned.

What a sicko. The detail is just unimaginable.

Poor kid. Mommy's puppet and a sicko's sex toy.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal
    What do we do with guys like this? We remove them.
    If only that were true, us parents could live with one heck of a lot less to worry about.

Have ya looked at a map that shows your local sex offenders locations? I think ours shows we have more of them than stop signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar
    Poor kid. Mommy's puppet and a sicko's sex toy.
    No kidding. What a miserable life and death she had.

If only that were true, us parents could live with one heck of a lot less to worry about.

Have ya looked at a map that shows your local sex offenders locations? I think ours shows we have more of them than stop signs.
    Hmm, perhaps. There's no excuse for any sex crime, but I also wonder about the people who were like 18 or 19 and convicted of having sex with their 16 year old partner.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal
    What a sicko. The detail is just unimaginable.
    I wonder about what he did in Thailand. The child sex trade is huge over there. How many Thai children did he assault?

His ex wife says no way he could have done it she claims he was hundreds of miles away from colorado at the time with her and that he is fasinated in the case as well as polly klaus murder case. Ill hold judgment till all the facts are out on this deranged individual.

Quote Originally Posted by /\/\adGamer
    His ex wife says no way he could have done it she claims he was hundreds of miles away from colorado at the time with her and that he is fasinated in the case as well as polly klaus murder case. Ill hold judgment till all the facts are out on this deranged individual.
    Indeed, I was wondering the same thing. If he was in Alabama at the time with his (then) wife, there should be some corroborating evidence besides her word.

Did they have any DNA evidence at the scene to test? That'd be a real easy way to find out if he's 'the one'.