Any thoughts on IPv6 and Vista?

Has anyone considered the implications yet of Vista defaulting to IPv6 protocol upon security? Most current firewalls, including most home hardware router/firewalls don't seem to support IPv6, so these packets go sailing straight through unchecked.

We've seen some trojans recently already employing this tactic to circumvent firewalls. Presumably, Vista's inbuilt firewall is IPv6 aware, but it's still far to easy for malware to disable an OSes inbuilt firewall or addon software firewall once they've gained priviledge escalation.

I'm not even sure NetFilter/iptables fully supports IPv6 yet (most home hardware routers use an embedded version of NetFilter/iptables). I know earlier versions only supported stateless packet inspection, but am not sure if stateful packet inspection has yet been implimented.

I would be interested to hear others thoughts on this

Ned

Re: Any thoughts on IPv6 and Vista?

Bump...

I'm wondering if Vista's default policy of enabling IPv6 is causing some of the problems we're seeing with network connectivity. I don't have a copy of Vista to experiments with... anyone want to take a look at it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    Bump...

I'm wondering if Vista's default policy of enabling IPv6 is causing some of the problems we're seeing with network connectivity. I don't have a copy of Vista to experiments with... anyone want to take a look at it?
    This may be of no assistance but I'll post it under the FWIW category just in case

Re: How do you turn off IPv6 in Vista
    Here is how to get rid of toredo

1) In control panel, open up system. properties.
    2) Select the hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
    3) In device manager, click the view menu and select "Show hidden devices".
    4) You'll find "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface" listed under Network
    Adapters.
    5) You can right click and disable it.

Also, in case this is of any help...Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) and Internet Communication (see link below)

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
    Last edited by megatonone; 03-01-2007 at 08:12 PM.

in my Vista and router - it already enabled both IPv4 and IPv6 but IPv4 is full internet and IPv6 are limited that what it showed. I used Belkin N1 ADSL Wireless Router modem (new product) and enabled hardware firewall (double).

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    Bump...

Just from what I've seen with IPv6 on Vista RC1 and even Ubuntu, having IPv6 enabled caused the OS override IPv4 with IPv6. Would be interesting to see if that's happening on some installs of Vista.

I wonder if "Vista support" for various routers is simply IPv6 support/firewall. I was surprised to hear that some routers didn't support Vista. I would have expected that unless you were using UPnP or uncommon network protocols, routers would deal with individual terminals using the base layers of the OSI Model. So apart from IPv6, why should Vista be any different?
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 03-02-2007 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I wonder if "Vista support" for various routers is simply IPv6 support/firewall. I was surprised to hear that some routers didn't support Vista. I would have expected that unless you were using UPnP or uncommon network protocols, routers would deal with individual terminals using the base layers of the OSI Model. So apart from IPv6, why should Vista be any different?
    Without knowing anything about Vista, I simply assumed that to mean that the router doesn't support IPv6.

The firewall issue is a little more complicated. Most consumer router/firewalls use an embedded version of Linux running netfilter. My neatgear, for example, runs on a version of Linux using the 2.4.x kernel which I believe doesn't have full support for stateful packet inspection (SPI) for IPv6 packets. The net result is that the firewall doesn't know how to inspect these packets so the whole datastream just goes sailing straight through the firewall and the user is non the wiser

A firmware update could no doubt address these issues, but it's a major rewrite based on a completely different kernel.

I just found that IPv6 in my router modem now as "Local" and IPv4 as "Internet" cos I didnt changed from PPPoE to PPPoA as I was checked my broadband that i changed to meet same network server so I changed to PPPoA from PPPoE and it now working prefer.. also Kaspersky Anti-Virus Filter already installed in Network status as well.

Good subject here,I have and old dlink router and vista install I have no issue with internet at all nothing looks like it running slow at all.Now is it working and doing what it should do with ipv6 i sure don't know.Any input on how to check it.
    . GA-EP45 DS3L 2GIG CORSAIR HITACHI 320 EVGA 260 216 896.