Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much is my labor worth?

A friend has asked me if I can install a new, exterior door. I said, I think I can(thanks to internet). He wants to know how much I would charge him. I'll get back on that one I told him.

The door frame appears to be in good shape, so I may not have to touch it. May be a quick paint touch up. All I need is to get the right size door and screw it on.

I'm a DIY kinda guy. I pretty much learned how to install a door just yesterday thanks to Bob Villa et al. I ask you now, the good folks of this forum, how much is my labor worth? How much would Homedepot charge? How much would a Mom & Pop store charge?

Re: How much is my labor worth?

from my experience, doors are VERY easy to install.

personally, i wouldnt even charge a friend to do it, as long as he helped, because the door is probably really heavy, since it is an exterior door

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

Doors are supposed to be pretty easy, however on my last house... the exterior door was a nightmare. The two people helping me said they have never seen a door installed how my original one was.... nails everywhere ... it just sucked.

I think I would just come up with some number, and if it is a breeze, then don't charge anything. If it's a nightmare, at least you'll get something.

If it were me I wouldn't charge, simply because its your first time doing it. I'd definatly have them help too, door's tend to get combersome for one person to manuever them.

if its a good friend i wouldnt charge at all.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I think this is more than a friend helping a friend, looks like the friend wants someone he trusts to do some work that needs to be done and has to be paid for anyway.

I would look at what the labor rates are, what time it would take an experienced door hangar guy to do (Can't charge for ineptitude, that's not cool). Lets say all that would take a experienced guy with proper tools an hour and $40 is a good hourly rate for a craftsman. Then that is what the job is approximately worth.

You would then dive your friendship discount.

I would go "it will cost you a Roofing Hammer!" or whatever tool I might desire that is close to what the charge (With friendship discount) would be

That way you get two things of value, Experience and a good hand tool, and you did not charge any money outright.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

I'd charge my mate a few beers regardless of how tough the job was. No money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir
    Beer and some food .

bingo. It's called Mates Rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir

Absolutely. Especially since it should be an easy job.

IF you were a carpenter by trade, then a discounted charge would be appropriate. But, as you describe it, your experience is "I saw it on TV and the internet." Tell him to have cold beer on hand, and plan to order pizza.

I had to redo my back door not too long ago, was a complete and total nightmare. Nails everywhere, rotted and warped frame, ugh, so much work involved.

If everything is in good condition and it's just screwing in the hinges and mounted the door on it, then it will take all but 20 minutes, if it gets more involved, then it could be more than you can handle.
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy983
    I had to redo my back door not too long ago, was a complete and total nightmare. Nails everywhere, rotted and warped frame, ugh, so much work involved.

If everything is in good condition and it's just screwing in the hinges and mounted the door on it, then it will take all but 20 minutes, if it gets more involved, then it could be more than you can handle.

:dunno:

i figured all he needed to do was pull the pins, then line up the new door, drop the pins in, and be done with it

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

Quote Originally Posted by pimp my ride
    :dunno:

i figured all he needed to do was pull the pins, then line up the new door, drop the pins in, and be done with it
    Good Luck! IF the door frame is perfectly square, and the new door is exactly the same size, you can put the door in place, shim it, and then mark the locations for the hinges and latch.
    The best and most common method is to buy a pre-hung door. It comes complete with frame, and the hinges are pre-installed, and usually the door knob/latch is pre-drilled. You just remove the trim, and then pull the old door frame out. Then new one gets put into place, then shimmed square and in position. Then you screw it in and put the trim back up. It will fit and swing properly.

Just for reference for all you other diy-types, www.hometime.com has some really good, detailed projects on their site. Here is their howto replacing a door... http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projects/window/win_3.htm

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter256
    Beer and some food .

yup, that is all a friend needs to pay, one day you may have to have him do you a job.......
    cost you then just a brew and some grilling grub!