IBM T42 Wireless nightmare

This lappy came with a fantastic piece of IBM software called "Access Connections"....which allows me to control/toggle wireless and ethernet connections.
    Great for going in and out of Hotels!

This week in the ATL airport, my lappy did not want to discover a usable WiFi Hot Spot so I turned off "Access Connections" and switched to allow Windows to search for wireless - it found several I could use!!!

So, I decided it was time to update "Access Connections". What a horror! I lost all ability to find any wireless connection. For 2 days!

Long story short, I now know a lot more about T42 wireless than I ever wanted to....

Bottom Line - I have all but given up on "Access Connections" after a bazillion attempts.
    Instead, I've downloaded the latest version of Intel's PROSet /Wireless software. v10.... . It's a "generic". Covers tons of wireless cards in IBM Lappys and others. It works! I can now find wireless again! And I think I'm just going to leave well enough alone and use it to manage all my Wireless connections. Instead of trying to get "Access connections" working.....

Also, I just left the old Intel PROSet software v6... (for managing hardwire connections) in tact. They don't seem to conflict with each other.

Hmm. Now that I think about it, my son's new super Dell Lappy has the same Wireless management software installed - the systray Icon's look very similar.......reminds me of a baseball field for some reason.
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

Re: IBM T42 Wireless nightmare

-TMack

the problem seems to lie with teh intel drivers not uninstalling properly when you update Access connections. The Aegis protocol from the intel proset drivers does not uninstall properly, leaving you in the state ur in, windows works, access connections doesnt. If u upgraded just Access Connections and not the associated drivers, that too would cause issues.

http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site...id=MIGR-4ZLNJB
    taken from forum.thinkpads.com
    You must follow the order, otherwise it won't work.
    Download, but do not install the following items from the Lenovo website (not intel).

Intel Driver
    Hotkey Driver
    ACPI Power management driver
    Access connections

Follow these steps.
    1. Using the control panel, uninstall access connections and intel wireless.
    2. Reboot.
    3. Install ACPI power management driver.
    4. Reboot.
    5. Install Hotkey driver.
    6. Reboot.
    7. Install Intel driver.
    8. Reboot.
    9. Test Fn+F5. You should now be able to toggle on and off the wireless device.
    10. If #9 works, reinstall access connections.

hope this helps.

T

Thanks Tigs! If I get adventuresome - I'll try it and let you know how it works out. But for now I'm hookin' up great with the Intel PROSet/Wireless.
    -TMack

Tigs:

I've spent the weekend trying to get 'Access Connections' working. I've read every thread in the Thinkpad forum and tried all suggestions. I now have a large trail of remnants from all these trial and error efforts - cluttering up Crivers. I even re-named it at one point -thinking it was creating the problem. No workie.

The situation is exactly as described in the list you posted - don't even think about loading Access Connections until Fn+F5 toggles the wireless antenna on and off. Heh...They just don't tell you what to do if Fn+F5 refuses to toggle the wireless.....or at least what I discovered in the posts as a fix (moving the Intel/wireless/bin file - libeay32.dll up to the top of the path) did not work.

The problem seems ongoing based on the very recent activity in the Thinkpad forum on this topic. I think I'll wait a bit and see if Intel and or Lenovo eventually offers a cleanup utility and then try it again.

Meanwhile the Intel PROSet Wireless bloatware is working fine
    -TMack

odd... i know IBM updated wireless driver last week for the security update, i dont know if you used them or not.

T

Quote Originally Posted by Tigsman
    odd... i know IBM updated wireless driver last week for the security update, i dont know if you used them or not.

T
    My problems probably have more to do with RADIA - this is an HP product that corporate decided to load on our laptops/desktops awhile back, to allow them to monitor and control everthing!!!

Heh. Someone asked me last week why their AOL [on their desktop] was not allowing them to view or open certain pages......RADIA seems to block everything that's not strictly business related. Hmm.
    -TMack

wow..sounds like a client side proxy/firewall. That must be down right yuckie.

Since Access Connections manages yet does not replace Windows Zero Config, this RADIA may have it locked down so nothing can control it but WZC.

Good luck bud

T