Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Time for new vid car. new mobo, or whole system?

I wasn't sure which section this question would fall under but since it centers around a new vid card I thought I'd post here.

The situation: I have a Gigabyte mobo(939) w/ AGP, have a radeon 9800 that I want to upgrade to a 1900 or a 7900. Problem is my board won't work with PCI express.
    The question is whether I should keep my Athlon 64 3200 processor and DDR 400 memory(1gig) and just get a similar board to what I have now with PCI express instead of AGP? Or if I should just get a whole new system now?
    The money isn't really an issue, it would be an extra $400-$500 to get the processor/ram and maybe a new case in addition to the mobo and vid card I'd have to buy anyway.
    The proc I'm thinking about is the E6400 or E6600.
    The big question if anybody has done the upgrade from AMD 64 3200 to Conroe E6400 is it worth the gain?
    If I'll be better off in the long run I don't mind spending more money now. Basically the board would be an extra $100 down the drain over the long haul. But if I'm not going to get any big improvements from a whole setup instead I might as well save the money.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Time for new vid car. new mobo, or whole system?

All day and absolutely no feedback?
    wow

Weekday, people at work/school. And the beginning of a long holiday weekend in the US.

I would imagine the Conroe should considerably outperform the 3200. Especially if you are a heavy gamer. If you can afford it, I would make the move now.
    On the other hand, if you get just a new board for your existing setup, you will gain whatever performance increase from the vid card, but none from the rest of the system.

Yeah, that's exactly where I'm stuck...
    Then I'm reading that the 775 socket will work for the Conroe but not any future chips...but the AM2 socket is supposed to work for the next gen of AMD CPU's. So what then...get an AM2 with a decent chip now and upgrade later?
    Too many dang choices.
    I know I need the card for games, I'm already having trouble. I just need to decide what's the best long term solution for me.

Hey,

I'm in a similar situation in that I've got an AGP and AGP solutions are limited if not expensive. What you should do is look at PCI-E solutions and compare them to higher-end AGP solutions in terms of cost. There are some high end AGP cards out there like the 7800GS.

Whether you get an AM2 or Conroe won't matter for gaming. It will be the video card that will be your bottle neck. But if I wanted another box, I'd get a conroe e6300 and don't spend too much on the motherboard. The system will be very fast! My second option would then be an AM2 X2 3800. But the only reason I add that to the list is because it is quite a cheap solution.

I wouldn't really bother buying to make your system upgradable. Buy a system that works for you now. The conroe is getting a ton of buzz and deserves it. It's very fast!

The dual core won't help your gaming but your overall system performance will be much better (like for office apps and general computing).
    Intel E6750 C2D
    400x8 (3.2GHz) 32C idle/58C Load @ stock 1.31V/HSF | Gigabyte DS3R Rev 1 bios F13 | OCZ XTC Rev 2 @4-4-4-15 | Antec Sonata 3 500W | Palit 8800GT driver v.169.21 | WD 500GB | 22" 226BW | Logitech x-540 5.1

AMD64 (754) 3000+ @2GHz |
    | ASUS K8N-E DLX BIOS 1.11 | 512x 2 OCZ Premier DDR400 2.5-3-3-7 | Antec Sonata 380W | 9600 Pro 128MB | 19" 930B

if hes getting into the Crysis stuff then DC cpu would be ideal since the new gamedoes support DC, id say if I was lo0oking at new tech now and money didnt matter id start over on a new AM2 platform. ESp after still holding onto a 9800 video card. YUCK. Untill some new game like Crysis starts bogging down my system im not even going to look at new parts.

I think you have to go with one of two choices:
    #1 Get a whole new system
    #2 Get the fastest AGP card for your current system

In my opinion, it's not worth changing the MB, just for PCI express.

For strictly gaming just about any s939 config should work fine with a newer agp video card as gaming is largely video card bound, now if you where still using an older axp setup then I would definitely say system upgrade.

Its up to you whether spending the money on a higher end AGP card is going to be worth the cost considering if you decide to upgrade to newer hardware you have that fancy high end agp card that may not be able to migrate over, unless you get one of the availble pci-e/agp based boards, theres also ebay for old parts.

If I where you I would buy a decent AGP card for a bargain price now since a 9800 is long in the tooth and start planning a new computer for around the end of the year early next year when prices should be better across the board for hardware.
    i7 Beast: Asus P6T Deluxe, Intel i7 920 21x191 (4000) HT on 1.3875v, Swiftech GTZ/D5/BIX2
    6GB (3x2GB) G.Skill pi Black DDR3 1600, ECS 9600GT
    CM STACKER 810, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

i7 Game: Asus P6T, Intel i7 920 20x180 (3600) HT on 1.275v, TRU-120
    6GB (3x2GB) G.Skill DDR3 1333 7-7-7-18, MSI GTX260 OCv2, Dell 3007WFP LCD
    CM STACKER 830, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

AMD: Biostar 790GX A2+, PII X4 940BE 17x200, Freezer 64 Pro
    4GB (4x1GB) Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800, Powercolor 4850
    Corsair VX450

The the I see it you have two choices:

1. PCI-E mobo and PCI-E GPU: cheapest solution by far. Problem is that 939 upgrades are coming to an end, you will have to leave 939 someday. Although someday is not today, and may be a ways off.

2. Conroe: new ram, CPU, board, GPU. Most expensive, but best performance.

I wouldn't consider AM2, since it will offer no practical advantage over your current 939 setup. If you are going to overhaul your system top to bottom, might as well get the fastest.

Thanks for all the replies.
    I've decided to go ahead and build a new system. My wife's PC is pretty old and she could really use my current one for work and school. The only game she plays is Warcraft and the 9800 is plenty for that.

Now I have to decide between AM2 or Conroe....it's a tough choice. I can save $100-$200 by going with AM2 mobo and 4200 CPU versus 775 mobo and E6400/6600.
    I can definitely spend the money on the more expensive parts if I need to but I like getting the most for my money.
    I'm also wondering if there really will be better AM2 processors I could upgrade to later...but I hate buying something with an expectation of upgrading it later. I'd rather just do it all at once and have something that will last a couple years.
    That's where the E6400/6600 are really appealing...great performance and not a heck of a lot more expensive than the 4400. I'm just not sure if it's worth spending the extra money.
    Mostly what I use my PC for is gaming, surfing the web and the occasional music conversion. Nothing super intensive besides the games.
    I guess when I think about it that way the video card is really my limiting factor and as long as I get a decent chip to go along with a good card I should be fine. For game performance it sounds like AM2 vs Conroe(budget chips) isn't a huge difference. It's mostly the GPU.
    Did I answer my own question?
    haha

Plus, if I go the cheaper route and get the AM2/4200 I can get a matched pair of gig sticks instead of just buying one gig of ram.
    I tried researching but couldn't find any conclusive data showing which would be better, more ram or going Conroe.

Thanks!

well someone around here said the next line of cpu's from AMD is going to use the AM2 socket. SO if thats true your future upgradeability solutions are great with the AM2 board.

I would never buy a system expecting an upgrade path later...so with that in mind I wouldn't buy AM2 based on upgradability.

Given your situation, Conroe is the way to go. It's a few extra bucks but I would only consider Conroe IF you plan to overclock it. As a gamer, I don't see why you wouldn't want to tinker with that! I've read good things about O/C on stock cooling...which means you don't have to spend more on CPU fans.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the E6400/6600 should be compared to the AMD FX's in terms of performance, not the x2's. After all, games don't take advantage with dual processors for the most part.

Also, your extra cost will be on your GPU - what GPU are you getting?
    Last edited by chrispycrunch; 09-05-2006 at 09:24 AM.
    Intel E6750 C2D
    400x8 (3.2GHz) 32C idle/58C Load @ stock 1.31V/HSF | Gigabyte DS3R Rev 1 bios F13 | OCZ XTC Rev 2 @4-4-4-15 | Antec Sonata 3 500W | Palit 8800GT driver v.169.21 | WD 500GB | 22" 226BW | Logitech x-540 5.1

AMD64 (754) 3000+ @2GHz |
    | ASUS K8N-E DLX BIOS 1.11 | 512x 2 OCZ Premier DDR400 2.5-3-3-7 | Antec Sonata 380W | 9600 Pro 128MB | 19" 930B

That's why I'm wondering if spending the extra on CPU is worth it if games won't notice the diff.
    I agree, I wouldn't buy a system with hopes of what is to come for a board. I want to buy a setup because it rocks and will last me a while.
    For the card I'm thinking of the X1900GT for $200. Of course, if I get the cheaper AM2 setup I could probably get the X1900XT for $330. It didn't seem like difference in cards was worth half again the cost though. I really don't want to go over my budget of $1k total(includes case, PS, RAM, mobo, CPU, GPU, HD).

I'm almost tempted to wait another few months to buy the system...I'm at one of those spots where I just can't pull the trigger...not sure what would be best for long term.

I think swapping the 939 mobo to pci e platform and getting a decent pcie card then re use the u'r other components, is my suggestion. AM2 looks good but AM3 is slotted, wait for am3 cpu + ddr3 or go conroe now. The point being u seem to mostly want games so u'r 939 cpu with a little oclock will do fine with pci e gpu card (1900xt).

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking about waiting....for my use of the PC getting new CPU/ram and everything doesn't seem worth it right now.