Hardware or software firewall

Hey guys and dolls after some advice.
    I've finally managed to get broadband at home (about time really). So I'm starting to think seriously about security.
    Since I'm only really going to be gaming I was wondering whether to stick with software-based fire-wall (Sygate) or replace the basic ADSL router that will come with the broadband package with a better one. Is it worth it ?? or just stick with Sygate and AVG and some spyware ?
    I'd appreciate any and all suggestions. I've even thought about putting ISA server on a basic PC I've lying around and use it as a fully fledged proxy/bastion server (probably overkill).

Re: Hardware or software firewall

Depending on the capabilities of your ADSL modem. You may want to think about getting a NAT router with built in firewall to put between your computer and your modem.

Proxies are bad for gaming and for any interactive services.

A dedicated router would do a better job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    Proxies are bad for gaming and for any interactive services.

A dedicated router would do a better job.
    Cheers Bryan, saves me a load of hassles later on.

How much would a NAT go for, roughly ??

I've never owned this one and I dont know much about it but from the specs and the review from tomshardware

This one looks like a pretty good buy.

How much would a NAT go for, roughly ??
    Depends on the features you want.

QoS is a good one for gaming as it gives you the ability to shape your traffic so no single connection grabs the majority of the bandwidth.

Any experience with the LinkSys wireless/cable routers? or with the higher gain antennas attached?...

Thinking of buying one,

Mike

Currently using WRT54GS, I believe its a version 2 or 3 and works rather nicely.

Since you mention having another machine bouncing around, you could build your own Firewall appliance using Smoothwall or ClarkConnect.

I've had Smoothwall running on a PII 333MHz for two years or so with no (not self-inflicted) issues.
    Last edited by Dngrsone; 09-07-2006 at 05:23 PM.

As far as i see it unless this rig has some major restricted information then i really wouldnt need to worry that much about it. A hardware solution is usually needed for system with access or have information thats volatile and important. From what i read this rig is merely a game system and possibiliy a general use system.

In my opinion get yourself some decent antivirus software + a few adware/spyware programs and possibly a firewall program and you should be ok. Remember the more progs you run the slower the system. keep it simple but protected and u should be ok.

pete

A hardware solution is usually needed for system with access or have information thats volatile and important.
    Hardware firewalls also have the advantage of being less vulnerable to attacks as their not part of the host in question, also reduces the load on the client machine as well.

The other advantage is the ability to give protection to multiple computers from one point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    Hardware firewalls also have the advantage of being less vulnerable to attacks as their not part of the host in question, also reduces the load on the client machine as well.

The other advantage is the ability to give protection to multiple computers from one point.
    ... as well as allowing the administrator to control and monitor access (read: keep tabs on kids) on all the computers.

SmoothWall is the best solution, or what ever distro you go with will get the job done much better than a standard router. Not to mention there are thousands of mods that you can eaisly add to suite your needs.

Shuttle XPC-SN95G5-V3
    CPU-AMD 64x2 4400+ 2.46GHz
    Corsair Twinx 1024-3200LLPT
    WD/250GB-*2 16MB Cache--Raid 0
    D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router Dir-655
    MB:Nforce 3 Ultra, BFG 7800 GS OC
    HW191D WideScreen
    Mod-Nvidia drivers=
    Microsoft Small Business Server
    Office 20007 Enterprise