Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Asrock 939DUAL-VSTA

Anyone got one of these? I've done a search of these forums and nothing has shown up.

I've got one arriving on Wednesday with an AMD64 3000 Venice Core and I'm wondering if there were any installation probs I need to know about? I'm used to an Asus board, but that seems to have gone for a burton with blown capacitors. I'm rather nervous about the new setup.

Thanx!

Re: Asrock 939DUAL-VSTA

Have a close friend who ordered this last Thursday from the 'Egg... should be here tomorrow. Going to be paired with a AMD64 3500+.

I found a couple of reviews on the board before he ordered it.... all basically said it was as good or better than the original Dual from ASRock. I'm looking forward to seeing how his build goes.

Let you know if he has any issues.

How is this different than the 939 dual sata2?
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

Ya know, I'm not really sure. I do know from one of the reviews that the "VSTA" prefix means that it meets or exceeds all of Micro$oft's hardware requirements to run Windows Vista (althought in this day, most MB's will do so)....

Link here...
    http://www.ocworkbench.com/2006/asro...al-vsta/g1.htm

Gave it a really good grade and it looks promising.

Oh I'm fed up!

It came today and I've installed it. No POST, no squat. The case and CPU fans are going and that's it.

I'm hoping it's because I've not wired the power leds on the case properly. No lights there. Lian Li cases are stupid they don't tell you which colour is GND or plus/minus. Asrocks manual doesn't tell you either.

There is no light on the board to indicate whether it's getting any power. I shall scream if it's a dead board though. *cries*

Had to take one of my ram sticks out to get it to POST. It's a start.

I'll be back........

ETA Using 2 sticks of ram will only work for me if they are in the 3 & 4 (black) slots. They turned out to be identical so I got dual mode but wasn't fussed about that.

If your mate finds it isn't POSTING tell him to swap his ram around, trying one stick at a time. This board is defintely picky about it's ram.
    Last edited by JumpinJackFlash; 09-12-2006 at 09:38 PM.

i just had a simular problem
    just put in 2 x 1 gig xms 3-3-3-8 memory worked fine for 1st 12 hours then went to boot in the morning and it would post but got a error msg saying config 32 was messed up and needed to be repaired.
    did the old trial and error with mem and found out it wont run with both sticks in the bluu or black slots only works with 1 in each color,plus on auto detect it is only setting it to 333 speeds.but anyway it is running right now,wonder if i should just go ahead and exchange it for a new set.

Make certain you guys run Memtest 86+ to insure the ram is not producing errors. It appears that haus-sig is getting memory errors. You can try loosening the timings, set MA timing to 2T and raising vdimm to high.
    Just like the Dual SATA2 board the memory frequency must be set manually to 200, as AUTO always defaults to 166.
    The best memory for this board is ram that requires 2.7v or less.
    Your system will take a serious performance hit if you don't run dual channel memory, so you should run ram that will handle it.
    There is little difference between the 939 Dual SATA2 and the VSTA board. The main difference is the onboard sound.
    Abit IP35 Pro
    Q6600@3.2GHz
    4 GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-9200 Reaper HPC Dual Channel
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
    9800 GX2
    PCP&C 750W
    Windows Vista 64 bit

Having similar problems myself. Finally got it to run on two sticks. Still got boot problems.

New bios needed NOW!

They took a great mobo and screwed it up.
    MINE AMD ROCK THE WORLD
    ASRock 939Dual SATA-2
    Opty 165 @ 2.9G
    1G XMS3200 Corsair 8 3 3 2.5

Sha la la, man...

Help!

Bought this board for my mom and it won't turn on! I bought 2 512MB sticks of Kingston 3200, an AMD 64 3200+, and an Antec SmartPower 2.0 400 Watt PSU to go in her tower.

I've done tons of system builds so I don't think I did anything wrong during the installation of all these parts.

I am pretty sure the PSU is working. I doublechecked the 20 pin connector as well as the 4 pin. Both are in nice and tight. I don't get it!

The panel connections were weird or maybe my mom's tower is just old. The power led from the her case was a three-prong so wouldn't fit the board. I am pretty sure I have the power-switch connected right. When I hit the power button on her tower, the AMD HSF twitches and the Iomega ZIP green power light comes on briefly and goes off. The computer WILL NOT power on though. I don't get this. I've never seen this before. Do I have a motherboard which arrived bad? What do you guys think? I need to know where to go from here. I want to rule things out before doing an RMA.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SOTK4ever View Post
    Help!

Bought this board for my mom and it won't turn on! I bought 2 512MB sticks of Kingston 3200, an AMD 64 3200+, and an Antec SmartPower 2.0 400 Watt PSU to go in her tower.

I've done tons of system builds so I don't think I did anything wrong during the installation of all these parts.

I am pretty sure the PSU is working. I doublechecked the 20 pin connector as well as the 4 pin. Both are in nice and tight. I don't get it!

The panel connections were weird or maybe my mom's tower is just old. The power led from the her case was a three-prong so wouldn't fit the board. I am pretty sure I have the power-switch connected right. When I hit the power button on her tower, the AMD HSF twitches and the Iomega ZIP green power light comes on briefly and goes off. The computer WILL NOT power on though. I don't get this. I've never seen this before. Do I have a motherboard which arrived bad? What do you guys think? I need to know where to go from here. I want to rule things out before doing an RMA.

Thanks!
    Make sure that on the 3 pronged connection it is not just 2, look to see if you can see the wires on the outer edge. Usually the middle one is blank you might have to take the plastice connector apart and remove the wire to move it over so it will go onto your header. I had that problem when I got my Dual SATA.

I had memory problems with my SATA2. Turns out the memory timings aren't properly detected by the BIOS. I needed to set the timings manually. I have no idea if such a problem also exists on the VSTA but it might be something to investigate.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Quote Originally Posted by RocketDogg View Post
    Make sure that on the 3 pronged connection it is not just 2, look to see if you can see the wires on the outer edge. Usually the middle one is blank you might have to take the plastice connector apart and remove the wire to move it over so it will go onto your header. I had that problem when I got my Dual SATA.
    It is a 2 pronged connection, and you're right about the two wires being on the outer edge. If I move over the wire, the blank one will take up the space I need to hook up the power switch panel header. Right now, I have the power switch hooked up right, I think, but the three-pronged power led panel header isn't connected at all. Here's the thing: doesn't it really matter that the power led connector isn't hooked up? I mean would that cause the computer to not turn on at all?

Quote Originally Posted by SOTK4ever View Post
    It is a 2 pronged connection, and you're right about the two wires being on the outer edge. If I move over the wire, the blank one will take up the space I need to hook up the power switch panel header. Right now, I have the power switch hooked up right, I think, but the three-pronged power led panel header isn't connected at all. Here's the thing: doesn't it really matter that the power led connector isn't hooked up? I mean would that cause the computer to not turn on at all?

I think that is just basically for the Power LEd light you can try to move it over and see what happens. But no you should have power if your power switch is hooked up right.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketDogg View Post
    I think that is just basically for the Power LEd light you can try to move it over and see what happens. But no you should have power if your power switch is hooked up right.
    What do you think? Bad motherboard? Man, I just got all this stuff hooked up. What should I do? Any suggestions on where to go from here?