What makes my computer crash, mouse or USB conflict?

I got a new gaming rig just last month. Here's my specs:

Win XP Media SP 2
    AMD X2 4200+
    ABIT KN9 SLI AM2 NFORCE 570 MoBo
    1 Gb RAM
    2 x GeForce 7600GS 512Mb (SLI)
    Logitech MX518 mouse
    Old PS2 Microsoft ergonomic keyboard (hey, it's comfy!)

First thing I did was get all the latest drivers, Win updates etc. Now, a month later, I started getting freeze-ups and severe mouse problems. It only seems to happen while playing games though -- when using Word, browsers or anything else it's nice and stable all day long.

For example, F.E.A.R. can run for two hours without problems, but then the mouse goes apes**t for a few seconds before the whole system dives into total crash (hard reset). Once that has started, it will only run for a minute at a time before next crash once it kinda gets in that mood. In Rise of Legends, I know I'm in trouble when I hear the music start staggering like an old tape recorder running out of batteries. After a minute of this, the mouse goes nuts but at least I can ctrl-alt-del my way out to Windows. At this point the pointer is completely dead, but if I move it into another USB port there's a 50/50 chance it'll come back to life.

I have tried it with a PS2 adapter, another mouse, different USB ports (front and back) while rebooting in between and all the other standard troubleshooting steps. I have run McAfee AV and Adaware twice with no problems.

My only clue is that, in a few cases, I've seen that little window pop up bitching about USB malfunctions, but that should be resolved by the PS2 adapter -- which it didn't. I'm getting so desperate I even installed the insanely bloated Logitech software that came with the mouse -- which of course didn't do diddly except extend the bootup sequence by 5 seconds. On the other hand, I've also had some problems with the printer (Lexmark P4350) when plugging into the USBs so I'm not quite ready to rule out the USBs as the culprit either.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matt

Re: What makes my computer crash, mouse or USB conflict?

Try unplugging any USB devices and use a (different) PS/2 mouse while you test. If the system doesn't crash, swap the mouse for your usual mouse and try that. If it's still OK, plug the other USB devices in one at a time until you find the culprit. Let us know how you go.

might reinstall the usb controller drivers. run couple passes of memtest too and check your temps.

Unfortunately, it seems the problems are totally random. Like I said, I can run stuff for hours before it suddenly goes haywire -- or it can be minutes. Mjolnir, I'll go ahead and unplug everything USB and use an old, pure-play PS/2 mouse I have for the next day and see what happens.

Meanwhile, Cwolv, you mention another interesting option. Please forgive a n00b -- not sure how to reinstall the specific USB drivers. I can update graphic card drivers etc. but where would I identify and find upgrades for just the right USB drivers? I looked at the Abit site (I assume this would be part of the MoBo package) but wasn't sure exactly what to look for.

As for Memtest, I must admit I haven't used this before. It seems there are a ton of different versions out there -- would this one suffice, for example? http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Thanks,
    Matt

Here are some Memtest insructions: http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=353712

USB drivers are provided by Windows XP. I think what is meant is that you go into Device Manager, and go to the USB hubs, and right-click -> uninstall. After that you can just click the icon at the top of the window that looks like a magnifying glass and a monitor, and they will be re-installed. Or you could reboot and they will also re-install.

Ok, sorry it took a while to get re this -- had a move coming up and just now had time to get back to troubleshooting this. Here's the deal:

* USB Hubs: I uninstalled and reinstalled per suggestion. It went dandy. I rebooted and tried running SWAT4 -- mouse crashed within 5 mins.

* Temps shouldn't be an issue; I have 3 fans and the temp indicator sez <25 degrees and the mouse problems occur even at a fresh morning boot within minutes.

* Pure PS/2 mouse: Unplugged everything USB and ran pure-play, old school PS/2 mouse (with ball and no scroll wheel, even). First it froze up in one direction, then it went haywire like my optical USB mouse does.

* Memtest: I downloaded and burned the ISO onto a bootable CD (I don't have a floppy). The system seemed to recognize it -- it stopped at the "Boot from CD" line at startup for 8-10 seconds, but then it flashed some kind of error 386 message before rebooting in a non-stop cycle. I popped the CD after 5-6 rounds of this.

I ran the Ad-aware and McAfee scans again just to be sure too.

What next? Is it worthwhile to reinstall XP and all that now, or should I focus on hardware trouble? Please advise.

Matt

it is a bootable cd image

just use recorder burn image with nero
    P5Q Deluxe
    Intel QX 6700
    8 GB OCZ
    60 GB Vertex drive
    ATI 5850
    SILENCER 610 WATT

Quote Originally Posted by MrBulldogg View Post
    * Memtest: I downloaded and burned the ISO onto a bootable CD (I don't have a floppy).
    Hey Matt, just need to clarify this. The Memtest ISO is a bootable image. No need to make the disc bootable if you burn the ISO accordingly. I find the easiest way is to download the ISO ZIP file, extract the ISO from the ZIP, then right-click the ISO and select Open with... and choose Nero Burning ROM (or whatever burning software you use) and from there all you should have to do is click OK to burn.

One of my PC's is a bit fiddly with bootable disks. Sometimes I have to set up the boot sequence in BIOS so that the CD/DVD drive is the only boot device listed. If you're burning the iso properly, then you might like to try this.

Another thing you might also like to try is disabling the USB controller from within BIOS and see if you can replicate the crashes.

Keep us posted

Ok, got the memtest ISO burned onto a CD and ran it through a couple passes ... It appears the memory is working fine. Good news and bad news, I suppose.

I could try disabling the USB from BIOS, but the fact that my old PS/2 mouse -- plugged into PS/2 and nothing at all in any of the USB ports -- still went kablooie makes me doubt my initial assumption that something was up with the USB ports. Just from what I can see, it seems that whenever there's a mouse pointer in action for something more advanced than a browser or a Word doc, my system just doesn't like it, period.

As mentioned earlier, I can work a solid 10-12 hours as long as it's just regular MS Office/browser work, but as soon as I pop in a more graphically demanding program (ie. games) it goes down in a hurry. It seems the more graphically intense, the quicker the crash (FEAR, SWAT4, Hitman: Blood money tends to crash quickly, while an oldie like Civ 3 or Total Annihilation can also run for hours with no problems.)

Is it possible this could have anything to do with the graphics cards? I have the latest drivers, but there's two of them with SLI hookup -- is there any way to test this? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Matt

got another keyboard to try as well as ps2 mouse
    P5Q Deluxe
    Intel QX 6700
    8 GB OCZ
    60 GB Vertex drive
    ATI 5850
    SILENCER 610 WATT

I've just realised that you haven't listed your PSU. What make and model is it? if it can't feed the two cards when they need it most (gaming, etc), I think you've found the problem. If you could test the PSU and/or swap it with a fairly decent PSU, that'd be a great start.

The reason I suggested to disable the onboard USB ports was that in your initial post you said this:
    My only clue is that, in a few cases, I've seen that little window pop up bitching about USB malfunctions
    Disabling the USB ports in BIOS should totally take them out of the equation. If they're not there, they shouldn't be able to cause errors and it means something else is probably at fault.

Mmm... Ok, I'll have to get a hold of a multimeter.

My PSU should be fine though -- it's a brand-new NZXT PF500 500WATT PERFORMANCE POWER ATX 2.0 POWER SUPPLY (see complete specs: http://www.buyxg.com/spec/getspec.as...Power%20Supply)

I only run one HD, one DVD, no floppy, no extra cards and just the two GeForce 7600's so I should have plenty of juice to spare with 500W. I have three fans and some blue LEDs but it shouldn't be near enough to gobble up that much. But sure enough, I'll run a check when I find a multimeter.

I'll dig up another keyboard this weekend too and take it for another spin as well.

Matt

I believe I've found the problem. I haven't actually gotten a hold of a voltmeter yet, but the ABIT EQ monitoring app gave me a pretty fat hint today. I was checking temps again and checked off the "global beep" button, just in case, and it didn't take more than a minute before it started beeping: PCIE voltage is out of whack. I rebooted and opened ABIT EQ to keep a closer look at what was going on.

The limits for the PCIE voltage is set to 1.35 - 1.65V. At boot, it's at a cozy 1.53... But then it slowly crawl up to 1.65 within minutes, not running anything except ABIT EQ itself and the AV/firewall. Every couple of seconds it'd bump into 1.66 and trigger a beep. To test I fired up a game -- solid beep within seconds. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I think the culprit may be identified.

As it turns out, this exact problem is apparently fairly common with Abit KN9 570 SLI boards, judging by this thread I came across: http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=112118
    The PCIE voltage spikes, and once it goes really high (1.75 or so) USB and PS/2 control starts going haywire. God only knows how much I've fried my graphics cards already...

Anyways, it appears the consensus at the other board is shaping up to be: return the damn MoBo and get something better (the whole system is only like 2 months old). Anyone see a reason to do otherwise?
    Last edited by MrBulldogg; 10-11-2006 at 02:51 AM. Reason: More info

MY PROBLEM WAS SOLVED. Read the following:

I HAD USB mouse, which causes the error, especially when it was plugged.

(I have detected that after testing the BIOS option for USB enable/disable).

So, i unplagged it, and then with LAPTOP's built in mouse, i browsed INTERNET and i founded solutions at -

1) http://en.community.dell.com/dell-gr.../19249216.aspx

2) http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...orum=itproxpsp (in the middle of the topic, someone said TO roll back to old USB instalation state, and that solved problem !!!!!)

My FIX was following:

after i uninstalled the MOUSE Driver from DEVICE MANAGER, then i copied usbport.sys,usbui.dll, usbhub.sys, usbuhci.sys files from

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0010\DriverFiles\i386

to

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

and

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\files

and after that, i pluged my mouse, and windows works normally!!