Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Re: Folding on GPU update

thats what the buy sale trade boards are for, im sure at the usual FAH haunts, here, EOC, etc........... thats already known for thier traders the folders amongst them will come out of the woodworking and there will be some great video card deals on the boards this weekend provided they are not x1900 or x1950 ones
    Low Speed, High Drag!
    Formerly a team 734 Folding Frog. (Might start up again soon)

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=428015

its a crazy idea yes, but why not have an adopt a gpu

see the link for my crazy idea
    Low Speed, High Drag!

@JeremyWills,

Saw your post on FC.org; I must say the Frogs have a nice fAh feature on the front page!

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
    -Albert Einstein

I think this will change my farm methodology. If we can get 20-40x out of one of these, it will make much more sense to run fewer machines with high end vid cards than to run many machines with lower lower end video cards and depend solely on the CPUs. My electric bill is killing me now and if I can consolidate down to fewer machines and still have higher production, I will definitely do it.
    Folding systems: Can't even keep track any more....

My Heatware
    Folding in memory of Sharon Sharp 9/21/47-5/16/05

looks like it will be the 1800 & 1900 from ATI

you sure about the 1800, its more like the 1900 and 1950 from what i understood
    Low Speed, High Drag!

Quote Originally Posted by WScottCross View Post
    I think this will change my farm methodology. If we can get 20-40x out of one of these, it will make much more sense to run fewer machines with high end vid cards than to run many machines with lower lower end video cards and depend solely on the CPUs. My electric bill is killing me now and if I can consolidate down to fewer machines and still have higher production, I will definitely do it.
    Yup, any large advances will have it's up and down side, for power consumption the X1900GT and the new 1950XTX would be the ones to look at, we'll have to see how well the base X1900GT does compared to the higher end cards, and whether the extra ram speed (and quantity 256 vs 512) have a large impact on the Folding Gpu client,
    This could be good news for Farmers with a few high quality boxes (like me) who already have good Psu's, watercooling etc, not so good for the "lots of cheap boxes" farmer though, and even more so for the guys whoose Folding output depends on corporate or office machines,
    All good for Folding though, there's lots of avid gamers out there who could boost Wu production with the Gpu client when not gaming, lots of folding gamers whoose choice of new video card has now been made for them, and more than a few dedicated Folders who have multiple rigs with very basic video cards who will see this latest innovation as a cost effective way to boost production,
    For me, my main rig at least will stay Nvidia powered 'till the next major upgrade, even the latest X1950XTX doesn't get close to SLi'd 7900gt's,
    but I have 5 others with basic Gpu's that will at some point be going ATI,
    Bottom line is,
    If you have an X1900 video card, get it Folding,
    If you don't, and you want to help the cause, get one now, every day you delay is a day later we find a cure.
    Fold with what you have,
    Every Work Unit can make a difference.

the 1800's will work, just not even close to the same #'s as 1900's

Sounds good to me. I am thinking about it as well....

The latest word on GPU folding from Dr. Pande:

http://forum.folding-community.org/v...=145500#145500
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
    -Albert Einstein

Well I had pretty much decided not to do any more upgrades this year, but I just may have to finally upgrade my main box to accomodate the new GPU core. Of course at the same time I'll end up replacing another single core box with a dual core one. Woohoo! Time to start comparison shopping. Weee!

Fold with what you have,
    Every Work Unit can make a difference.

yep finding ways to spend that paycheck before its even been cut right? hehehe
    Low Speed, High Drag!

what i need to ascertain from standford is if crossfire is supported or not, or even nessecary for 2 gpus to fold because

theres a few DFI models with 2 full sized 16 lane pci express slots that dont support crossfire or sli, but........... one can mod the board to support one or the other, i cant remember which chipset its based off anyhow

the boards alot cheaper than the ones that do support the multi videocards, what i want to know is if the two graphics cards can be used as folding cards but not in crossfire or sli??? if each client is independet, if that is the case then that could be a very inexpensive option if your viewing from that point of view, i see that DFI board on the buy sale trade board alot for good price, just wondering if its an option
    Low Speed, High Drag!

im also stoked that vijay made mention of supporting the x1800 and the x1650 soon, yes for now its only x1900 or better supported officially that is

technically the x1650 is nothing more than the x1600xt with a new name, at least thats what i got out of it all from the web, its just more of a marketing thing with the new name, so if an x1600xt will work then so will the x1600pro as the only difference in the two was stock clock speed, almost everyone just ramps up the x1600 pro to the xt speeds and saves the bucks, so hypothetically speaking Im pretty sure they are all the same universal core with just different clockspeeds and names stamped on them, good news for me the possibility of the x1600 being usable because I just bought the sapphire x1600hdmi model, its just a x1600pro on a low profile pcb and with the hdmi output, bought this to complete my htpc and media center setup
    as im future proofing for my next tv

if it can fold as well then all the better even though it wont put up the crazy numbers the x1900 is capable of it surely will be able to do something respectable, ill take workunits and points for the team any way we can get em right?
    Low Speed, High Drag!

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l...41&modelmenu=1

hmmmmmmmmm four of them bad boys in one mobo

folding farm in a box

wonder how much that mobo is gonna run

that mofo will be serious fun

hehe, I made something that ryhmes
    Low Speed, High Drag!