Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Re: Folding on GPU update

for some reason the gpu folding wont start on my system. when i view the console it just says "starting gui server" and doesnt actually start work on the WU. any ideas?

i was also getting an error that said it needed d3dx9_30.dll.. but i have dx9c installed, so i just copied a d3dx9_30.dll into my system32 folder which ended that, but i'm kinda confused as to why i didnt have this file already

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    for some reason the gpu folding wont start on my system. when i view the console it just says "starting gui server" and doesnt actually start work on the WU. any ideas?

i was also getting an error that said it needed d3dx9_30.dll.. but i have dx9c installed, so i just copied a d3dx9_30.dll into my system32 folder which ended that, but i'm kinda confused as to why i didnt have this file already
    Is that with only the Gpu client running ?
    Fold with what you have,
    Every Work Unit can make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Is that with only the Gpu client running ?
    * This application has failed to start because d3dx9_30.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

This usually means that the April 2006 (or newer) update for DirectX 9.0 has not been installed. If your machine doesn't have the latest DirectX9.0c runtimes, please go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...13&clcid=0x409 and follow the instructions there.

If this fails to resolve the issue, the following solution should work for you:
    If you use the Windows Update to update to DirectX 9.0C, you will be unable to play the Test Server at this time due to a missing file, d3dx9_30.dll, in the Windows Update patch series. This error manifests itself as a dialog that appears when you run testeqgame.exe (the game client) and tells the user the program could not be initialize due to being unable to find the critical file/component d3dx9_30.dll. The file itself is available as a part of the April 2006 DirectX 9.0C SDK redistributable distribution. To solve this situation, follow the following steps to reinstall DirectX 9.0C from the redistributable distribution:
    1. Get the April 2006 DirectX 9.0C redistributable version (Caution: Download is about 52 MB) at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

2. Run directx_jun2006_redist.exe. Extract the files to an easily identifiable directory.
    3. Go to the directory the files were extracted to in step 2. Run "DXSETUP.EXE" from that directory.
    4. Accept the license agreement. Allow the installer to update the DirectX components.

Good advice there Fellow Frog,
    Fold with what you have,

Well I have some work to do.

My new motherboard A8V-E has arrived.

My new ATI Radeon x1900xt has arrived.

So we have some disassembly and reassembly to do.

I will be replacing the A8V motherboard in my current dual core amd 4200+ rig with the A8V-E.

This will allow me to take out the AGP board and put in the x1900xt board and off we go.

I know you all mentioned a few statements about cooling on the new graphics board and I know Jester is a real water cooler. However, I am going with the board with air cooling. Has anyone collected any data about the stock board at stock speeds running the new folding client?

I saved the not about replacing the fan on the x1900xt with a zalman fan.

Ralph
    ASUS P5K-SE, Q6600, 2 GIG CORSAIR @2.7GHZ ATI X1900XT

Watch This Wonderful Movie about the benefits of Folding

Jester. Are you getting all these extra points from that 1 GPU? Maybe I should just pull over now.

Quote Originally Posted by frosty22 View Post
    Jester. Are you getting all these extra points from that 1 GPU? Maybe I should just pull over now.
    Even with the good 600 point Wu's my main rig could put out around 700ppd max, drop that down to an average of 450-500ppd when some of the slower ones are thrown into the mix, now running 1 Gpu and 1 Cpu client the Gpu alone is 750ppd with the current 330 point Wu's, and the Cpu client produces 250 -300+ ppd depending on the Wu's it gets,
    So yup,
    The lions' share of the ppd increase is courtesty of 1 Gpu (for now ), but it is the fastest of the current cards, X1950XTX running at 3D clock speeds (650/1000), I'll be doing a little testing at various Cpu,Gpu and ram speeds to see what difference it makes, plus I've got the extra bits I need to replace my aging P4 with another X2, supposedly one of the better stepping Opteron 170's, If I hit 3g on that one look out.
    Fold with what you have,

What are your frame times on the GPU? Mine are a little under 8 Minutes. I notice it takes up alot of CPU too. Have you figured out a way to monitor it yet? (The GPU that is)

Quote Originally Posted by frosty22 View Post
    What are your frame times on the GPU? Mine are a little under 8 Minutes. I notice it takes up alot of CPU too. Have you figured out a way to monitor it yet? (The GPU that is)
    The 330 pointers are 6min:09 seconds per frame, that's with an X1950XTX at 3D clock speeds (650/1000) and one core of my X2 4400.
    Trying to run 2x Cpu cores kills the Gpu clients' peformance, seems the Gpu client needs a lot of Cpu time as, at the present at least, it frequently "polls" the Gpu and drivers, I read something on the Stanford forums about them trying to reduce the dependancy on the Cpu as the client matures out of beta.
    I use EM3 for monitoring all my rigs, but according to what I've read there needs to be a change to the log.txt files, or the way they report before EM3 can read data from the Gpu client, I'll see if there's an update on this.

Ps: Fitted the Opty 170 in my main rig hoping it would be a good overclocker,
    so far so good, it's run 2 x 32m Super Pi runs and currently into the 3rd hour of dual Prime at 2800Mhz and 1.475v, and still going.

Update: Now at 2900Mhz nearly finished the first hour of dual Prime, this is the sort of chip any overclocker dreams about. Whoohoo.

Second Update: Finally settled for 2950Mhz @ 1.475v vcore, ran everything I could throw at it at those settings, actually had it running at 3,000Mhz but had to up the Vcore to 1.525v to achieve stability on the "weaker" ?? core, chip was still scaling quite well and may have gone higher than 3 gig but this is not just a "bragging" machine with a few benchmarks, it's a folding workhorse too,
    So 2950Mhz should be nice and stable for 24/7 Folding.
    Last edited by Jester; 10-28-2006 at 10:57 PM.
    Fold with what you have,

The 330 pointers are 6min:09 seconds per frame, that's with an X1950XTX at 3D clock speeds (650/1000) and one core of my X2 4400.
    Trying to run 2x Cpu cores kills the Gpu clients' peformance, seems the Gpu client needs a lot of Cpu time as, at the present at least, it frequently "polls" the Gpu and drivers, I read something on the Stanford forums about them trying to reduce the dependancy on the Cpu as the client matures out of beta.
    That's probably some info Ryan would like to have.

Check,
    Fold with what you have,

Another Folding rig down for most of the day,
    While it gets a Folding Gpu upgrade,
    All configured and tested and just put back into service, was my oldest (and slowest) X2 3800 that needed 1.55v to get to 2.6g, unfortunately the new Asus A8R-MVP mobo doesn't go that high with vcore adjustments, so it's @ 2400Mhz 1.45v, which doesn't matter a whole lot as it's powering an X1950pro 512,
    I'm convinced that this card is the sweet spot for the Folding $$ 7m 20s per frame on a 330 point Wu gives 648ppd, and while I was settling the system in I ran a few 3D benchmarks too, a 3Dmark 06 score of just under 5200 is pretty good for a stock clocked card and a mildly overclocked subsystem.
    Fold with what you have,

Sounds like you are loving the x1950pro 512.

Good info. Thanks.

Good price point.

If I recall you also have the x1950xtx.

What is the comparison again?

Thanks
    ASUS P5K-SE, Q6600, 2 GIG CORSAIR @2.7GHZ ATI X1900XT

Watch This Wonderful Movie about the benefits of Folding

Another Folding rig down for most of the day,
    While it gets a Folding Gpu upgrade,
    All configured and tested and just put back into service, was my oldest (and slowest) X2 3800 that needed 1.55v to get to 2.6g, unfortunately the new Asus A8R-MVP mobo doesn't go that high with vcore adjustments, so it's @ 2400Mhz 1.45v, which doesn't matter a whole lot as it's powering an X1950pro 512,
    I'm convinced that this card is the sweet spot for the Folding $$ 7m 20s per frame on a 330 point Wu gives 648ppd, and while I was settling the system in I ran a few 3D benchmarks too, a 3Dmark 06 score of just under 5200 is pretty good for a stock clocked card and a mildly overclocked subsystem.
    what do you do for a living man, do get all that moola?

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin_Bear View Post
    Sounds like you are loving the x1950pro 512.

Good info. Thanks.

Good price point.

If I recall you also have the x1950xtx.

What is the comparison again?

Thanks
    648ppd on the X1950pro 512
    770ppd on the X1950XTX
    If it's for a gaming rig that Folds the XTX is still good value for it's 3D performance, but for a Folding rig that games sometimes the Pro is unbeatable at the moment.
    Fold with what you have,