View Poll Results: Should teachers be armed?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, with guns and live ammo

2 6.67%
  • Yes, but not with guns and live ammo (maybe an alternate weapon)

3 10.00%
  • Undecided

1 3.33%
  • Teachers should not be armed, but maybe other school personnel

2 6.67%
  • Absolutely NOT!!! (Teachers or any other school personnel)

20 66.67%
  • Other: Will post in thread

2 6.67%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Should teachers be armed?

This thread was inspired by the following news article obtained at CNN dot com:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/10....ap/index.html

Question: Should teachers be armed?

In recent weeks there has been atleast 4 shootings in American public schools resulting in atleast 8 deaths. One lawmaker suggests legislation to arm teachers and says such tactics have worked in foreign schools. While no one denies the extreme complexity of this issue, is this the right road to travel down.

There are many considerations.

What prevents a student from over powering a teacher and taking their gun and launching an assault against the school and other students? What about gun safety? Will this shift priority of education to priority of safety? Will children feel confortable in school or will they feel like they are in prison? Most importantly, will arming teachers even deter/prevent/reduce school-related crime?

Whatever solutions or strategies we employ in the future moving forward to address the rash of school shootings, no solution will be easy or painless.

What do you think?

Re: Should teachers be armed?

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/10034190/detail.html

This problem isn't going away anytime soon.

You should really have a poll with this.

As to the question: nein.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Absolutely. But it will never happen in these PC times.
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan View Post
    You should really have a poll with this.

As to the question: nein.
    As you requested.

Quote Originally Posted by TMack409 View Post
    Absolutely. But it will never happen in these PC times.
    What the hell? How does that make any sense? What does this shadowey boogeman of 'political correctness' have to do with having schoolteachers bear arms?

Quote Originally Posted by 'K- View Post
    As you requested.
    Thanks. I voted 'Other'. I think police officers in schools ought be armed, but no one else. Whether they fall under the classification of 'school personnel' I don't know, hence my choice.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

School police usually are not school employees atleast where I live.My county has regular fulltime sherrifs deputies or atleast township officers who are on guard at all 8 of my districts schools.The other counties 4 school districts also have the same setup either town police or their townships officers. The doors are locked from the inside except for the office area.The kids areas are usually off limits to anyone from the outside.

Armed teachers or armed police officers are rather like treating a broken leg when you fell twenty feet using a broken ladder. Then, rather than fixing the ladder, you climb it again and break the other leg.

Armed people in the school (besides the kids, who are already often armed ) treats this from the wrong perspective, IMHO. Granted, with the kids presently there I agree there is often no alternative to armed police on the property, but that ultimately doesn't fix the problem.

We never used to raise such a high percentage of "disturbed" kids. Pick the affliction, odds are it has a higher incidence rate now than historically. The one exception may be teen pregnancy, and our numbers aren't exactly stellar there either.

Regarding troubled youth, a wise fellow I know once said, "Fix the parents and the kids will be fine." If not for such trivial concerns as freedom and liberty, it'd be easy. Just sterilize at birth. Don't undo until said person has a high school diploma or GED, a job earning enough to support a child, and a certificate from a "parenting for idiots" course. I'd run on that political platform except for the fact I wouldn't actually want to hold office are winning the election in a landslide. LOL.

Yes, not mandatory but at the discretion of the teacher and with concealed weapons so that shooters will never know who is armed and who isn't.

I'd have to say no. I'm not sure what should be done, but this just doesn't seem like the answer to me.
    Heatware: Sabrewulf165 62-0-0

Stop shootings in schools by putting guns in the classrooms? Jeez. Besides, we all know that teaching is 'chaulk' full of level-headed professionals that would never, ever go off the deep end...

How 'bout we install panic buttons at teachers desks, instead, that work like the ones used by bank tellers... that buzz the police. Good enough for our money, why not our kids? Maybe metal detectors at the entrances. Maybe better security all around.

There are a whole lot of things that can and should be done to make our schools safer before arming the the always level headed and rational NEA membership with firearms.

Besides, our kids ain't stupid, not even the gangsta wannabes. There's no way in he-- anyone could devise a system that would prevent the theft of the weapons and no way in he-- anyone could prevent the eventual "accidents".

I was assuming only those teachers comfortable with handling weapons would be armed, that they would be concealed so no one would know which teachers were armed, and that other security measures would also be used. As far as a "panic button", that would not work just as it doesn't work to prevent bank robberies. By the time police get there it is too late. Police are generally only good for trying to catch people AFTER a crime has been committed.
    Brian

I was assuming only those teachers comfortable with handling weapons would be armed
    I can see a number of problems with this, a teacher should be paying attention to teching not looking out for potential threats.

This is more the role of trained secuirty staff, and if done properly would stop potential threats at the door or in the halls rather then in the classroom where theres a high potential collaterial damage.

I think if it comes to arming teachers it's time to take a cold hard look at the society you're living in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar
    How 'bout we install panic buttons at teachers desks, instead, that work like the ones used by bank tellers... that buzz the police. Good enough for our money, why not our kids?
    My mum used to teach in a prison and they had a panic button on the wall. Any trouble and a horde of burley prison officers would come bursting through the door.
    Last edited by Enmore; 10-10-2006 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore
    I think if it comes to arming teachers it's time to take a cold hard look at the society you're living in.
    Insane. Me gets visions of teacher's desk drawers with some mouldy exercise books, confiscated toys, rubbish etc and a nice new handgun within easy reach!

such tactics have worked in foreign schools.
    hmmm. Where I wonder? (edit - just looked at the link - Thailand and Israel [armed guards] it seems).
    Last edited by h_a_; 10-10-2006 at 11:08 AM.