View Poll Results: Should teachers be armed?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, with guns and live ammo

2 6.67%
  • Yes, but not with guns and live ammo (maybe an alternate weapon)

3 10.00%
  • Undecided

1 3.33%
  • Teachers should not be armed, but maybe other school personnel

2 6.67%
  • Absolutely NOT!!! (Teachers or any other school personnel)

20 66.67%
  • Other: Will post in thread

2 6.67%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Should teachers be armed?

Quote Originally Posted by h_a_ View Post
    Insane. Me gets visions of teacher's desk drawers with some mouldy exercise books, confiscated toys, rubbish etc and a nice new handgun within easy reach!
    LOL that reminds me that I got a cap gun confiscated once after it went off in assembly. I never did get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    Stop shootings in schools by putting guns in the classrooms? Jeez. Besides, we all know that teaching is 'chaulk' full of level-headed professionals that would never, ever go off the deep end...

How 'bout we install panic buttons at teachers desks, instead, that work like the ones used by bank tellers... that buzz the police. Good enough for our money, why not our kids? Maybe metal detectors at the entrances. Maybe better security all around.

There are a whole lot of things that can and should be done to make our schools safer before arming the the always level headed and rational NEA membership with firearms.

Besides, our kids ain't stupid, not even the gangsta wannabes. There's no way in he-- anyone could devise a system that would prevent the theft of the weapons and no way in he-- anyone could prevent the eventual "accidents".
    I am with you 100%

I would much prefer the idea of arming everyone above the age of say 12yrs instead. Ya.. I know... radical idea. But think about it. There would be a sh*tload more mutual respect and a whole lot less random violence if everyone wore a sidearm. Carjackings... muggings.. rape... school massacre's would all but go away. Back to the wild West and frontier justice I say.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    I would much prefer the idea of arming everyone above the age of say 12yrs instead. Ya.. I know... radical idea. But think about it. There would be a sh*tload more mutual respect and a whole lot less random violence if everyone wore a sidearm. Carjackings... muggings.. rape... school massacre's would all but go away. Back to the wild West and frontier justice I say.
    Because crime rates were so much lower then.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan View Post
    Because crime rates were so much lower then.
    Were they? I have no data either way, I just like the idea.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Armed teacher is a very bad idea. The only thing teachers should be armed with is condemns.

Sadly it is time for locked gates, locked classrooms, metal detectors and security cameras.

btw… Don’t send your kids to congress its not safe…

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Quite possibly the most rediculous comment that has ever come out of your mouth

Lets go ahead and give the crazies in the world a free weapon, I bet they won't use it......... [/sarc]

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsoul View Post
    Quite possibly the most rediculous comment that has ever come out of your mouth

Lets go ahead and give the crazies in the world a free weapon, I bet they won't use it......... [/sarc]
    News flash... the crazies already have access to guns, knives, motor vehicles and countless other means to express their craziness in a violent manner. Unfortunately they do not limit their crazy outbursts to other crazies. It's us law abiding, unarmed, non-crazies that are usually the victims.

-The Gipper

It is a sign of the times that there is more violence in schools. Arming teachers is definatly not the solution. Many an unstable teacher.

Growing up in the NYC school system in the 70's and 80's we never had the problems they have now. Most NYC schools are in full lockdown mode.
    Metal detectors at the doors, NYC police officers in most schools. Most doors are locked, I've even seen some of them chained closed. We used to be able to leave school and go out to lunch. Not any more. If you were late for school the doors were always open. Now if your late SOL.

Anyway arming the teachers is a BAD idea although I did like the sterialization idea
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

Last reports I have seen have indicated that there is no more violence today than there was 20 years ago. It is just much easier to get media coverage now than what it was. I will try and dig up the article.

Well at least we haven't had a Kent State incident lately. (knock on wood)

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter
    I would much prefer the idea of arming everyone above the age of say 12yrs instead.
    I have a feeling you are jerking peoples chains...anyway...

Would these armed teenagers have to hand over their weapons at school-time or do you think the crazed loners will be just too scared to go on a shooting spree if everyone including teacher is carrying a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter
    Back to the wild West and frontier justice I say.
    So who's going to play the role of the "Indians" in this little historical rerun? (sorry - had to ask)
    Last edited by h_a_; 10-11-2006 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsoul View Post
    Well at least we haven't had a Kent State incident lately. (knock on wood)
    Not for a lack of desire by some.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan View Post
    Not for a lack of desire by some.
    Who are you jabberin' about this time? Who are the "some" you're refering to?

[QUOTE=h_a_;3918121]Insane. Me gets visions of teacher's desk drawers with some mouldy exercise books, confiscated toys, rubbish etc and a nice new handgun within easy reach!
    QUOTE]

Simple. Fingerprint secure them.
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

[QUOTE=TMack409;3918720]
    Quote Originally Posted by h_a_ View Post
    Insane. Me gets visions of teacher's desk drawers with some mouldy exercise books, confiscated toys, rubbish etc and a nice new handgun within easy reach!
    QUOTE]

Simple. Fingerprint secure them.
    In the end, I would imagine it would be cheaper to just have metal detectors at each entrance. Metal detectors are surprisingly inexpensive.

Guns to fight guns is definitely not the answer.

Plus, who says a teacher would be able to shoot a child? That is a lot to ask a teacher to do.