Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

M2N32 Deluxe Bios Flash Failed

Search doesn't seem to be working......

OK, to cut a long story short, flashed the BIOS on my motherboard last night, only the PC decided to reboot at 27% of the flash.

Now, it'll power on for a few seconds, then shut down. Tried resetting the CMOS, same thing. Can't boot from CD/USB to recover the BIOS as it doesn't get this far. No error beeps or anything.

I'm guessing this is due to the BIOS only being part-flashed. My question is, what's the easiest way round this short of getting a new board. Can these boards BIOS chips be swapped out by the user, and if so, where's the best place to get one (in UK).

Thanks

Re: M2N32 Deluxe Bios Flash Failed

Well you are under warranty, so you can RMA. Link is at the top of the sticky post. E-mail is rma@asus.com.

The system was not stable when you flashed, obviously. Was it unstable before? If it was...well, you never want to do that. A little late.

Did you Memtest that system as part of setup? Did it pass? Might try starting with one stick of memory, then the other, use the slot recommended for one stick in the manual. A bad stick could cause that kind of instability and make the system reset.

Try to clear RTC as in the manual.

Remove any PCI cards, drives etc, until you get this sorted. Actually it is best to do this out of the case with the system set up on a wooden table.

RMA is supposed to be a pain in Europe. So you might try to get Asus to send a bios chip. They will flash yours if you send it in. Contact them for instructions.

You could probably hotflash the chip. It is a nervy procedure, not for the timid, but all you need is a working system that uses the same bios socket. It involves putting the bios and flash utility on a bootable floppy, booting up the good system, while running, remove the bios chip, put the bad one in, run the flasher, remove the chip and put the original back. You don't want to make mistakes, such as putting the chip in backwards. Very easy to do, very bad for the system's survival chances.

You can also purchase pre-flashed chips from a number of places. www.badflash.com is just an example, there are lots. Google Search: replacement bios chips

Your system comes with the Crash Free bios feature. If the hardware is otherwise stable it should boot to the CD and flash, maybe the RTC clear will get you there , that or removing a bad memory stick.

Thanks for the advice Senor Panadero .

As far as the CrashFree BIOS is concerned, I did think this was what it was intended for. However, the system does not stay on long enough for it to check the CD/Flash drive. It powers up for a few seconds then shuts down.

Are the BIOS chips easy enough to remove on this model? I'm probably looking at trying to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by DM_Violator View Post
    Are the BIOS chips easy enough to remove on this model? I'm probably looking at trying to replace it.
    They are not difficult to remove, they just slide into the socket they are in. Problem is, if they have never been removed, they can be in there pretty tight. Worse, if you have never done it before, you aren't really sure of where to pull at. Even if using the proper tool (a PLCC puller), expect it to fly across the room when removing. A really small screwdriver that will fit into the notch you see in the corner will probably be a decent tool to pry it out.

Note, there is a "cut" on one corner that lines up with markings inside the socket. Might want to draw on the paper label to doubly mark the position, if you put it in backwards, it will burn up on startup.

Thanks for the advice Senor Panadero .

As far as the CrashFree BIOS is concerned, I did think this was what it was intended for. However, the system does not stay on long enough for it to check the CD/Flash drive. It powers up for a few seconds then shuts down.

The bios chip comes out very easily with a tiny screw driver, just pry up one corner and then the other corner while keeping a finger on the top to prevent it from flying out.

My system quit after a Mylogo updated the bios and I thought I needed to get the bios chip replaced. I bought a new bios chip and then it turned out the whole motherboard needed to be replaced.

Good luck.
    Ak

Well got the chip out OK (and no flying across the room either fortunately ). Sent off for reprogramming, hopefully have it back soon. And fingers crossed this will resolve the issue.

Well got the chip out OK (and no flying across the room either fortunately ). Sent off for reprogramming, hopefully have it back soon. And fingers crossed this will resolve the issue.
    I think the bios chip costs less than $5, its the shipping that is very expensive. I think I paid around $44 CDN for a new bios chip as I did not want to waste the time shipping the old one to ASUS. Then I could not wait and bought a whole replacement board. Now I have a brand new M2N32-SLI and a spare bios chip just sitting here in a box.

While I was searching for a bios replacement I found a person on E-Bay that has these chips and would ship them to you with the latest bios. I did not use him but if I remember right he was quite a bit cheaper than ASUS. It was user BIOSDEPOT if anyone is interested.

Lets us know if the new bios chip fixes your problem.
    Ak

HI i hav the same thing updated BIOS crashed at around 27% and the it turns on then off after 2secs.. my CRASHFREE usb disk i lost any1 hav 1 they can zip up for me..
    i cant this PC wrkin ASAP

thanx

Well I need some more advice . Basically the place I sent my chip to hasn't received it yet (sent Monday 9th by airmail to Netherlands). Now, I can't do without my PC much longer, so want to buy a new chip, but when I was looking at my old chip I couldn't make out many markings on it (I know it's a PLCC 8mb).

I'm checking with a place to see if they have any, and they've said yes, if the chip is an SST 49LF080A. Is this a standard BIOS chip, I've no idea if this was the one that the M2N32 uses.

Thanks

Well I need some more advice . Basically the place I sent my chip to hasn't received it yet (sent Monday 9th by airmail to Netherlands). Now, I can't do without my PC much longer, so want to buy a new chip, but when I was looking at my old chip I couldn't make out many markings on it (I know it's a PLCC 8mb).

I'm checking with a place to see if they have any, and they've said yes, if the chip is an SST 49LF080A. Is this a standard BIOS chip, I've no idea if this was the one that the M2N32 uses.

Thanks
    Did you try the ASUS bios department first? It is in the U.S. and they charge $5.00 for the bios chip with it flashed to the latest bios plus shipping charges. Sorry I don't have their phone number right here.
    Ak

I did a quick search and found the e-mail address of the person at ASUS that handles bios replacements: kara_renner@asusts.com

Good luck.
    Ak

There is bios dept contact info in this post: http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...hreadid=238479

Nice one, thanks a lot guys

Ahh it says can only ship to US and Canada
    Last edited by DM_Violator; 10-18-2006 at 02:15 AM.

http://www.badflash.com/

Ships worlwide.Don't know what timeframe you are looking for.Standard priority mail is probably 5-7 days to UK. ??
    Have you tried Asus Uk ?
    Last edited by CMB; 10-18-2006 at 02:30 AM.
    #1 Asus P5E-VM HDMI (htpc backup)
    2x 2gb Corsair Q6600 7900gt
    Wd 250gb sata, NEC dvd burner
    Antec Neo 480,Avermedia a180 HDTV,Cooler Master Mystique case
    LG L246WP-BN 24" widescreen monitor,Vista Home Premium
    #2 HTPC Athlon64 AM2 5000+ BE x2, CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400
    ABIT AN-M2, TV Wonder 650 PRO, HauppaugeWinTV-HVR-1600
    ASUS EN8600GT SILENT, LG BluRay/HD dvd combo
    250gb Wd sata II,Xgene HTPC case +Scythe and SilentX fans
    Panasonic AX100 projector + 106" Graywolf screen, Vista Home
    Premium
    #3 Asus Eee 4g

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    http://www.badflash.com/

Ships worlwide.Don't know what timeframe you are looking for.Standard priority mail is probably 5-7 days to UK. ??
    Have you tried Asus Uk ?
    Have filled out the form for support from Asus (though I only need the chip ).

I did look at badflash, but their European outlet is the same one I sent the BIOS to in the first place.