RAID0 vs. RAID1 setup question.....

I am debating on what to do here. This is what I do on a daily basis. I do a lot of video editing, and graphical editing using Photoshop. And I also play games like GTR2 and rFactor. I am wondering how much of a performance gain I will see using this RAID0 setup that I currently have compared to a RAID1 setup which I have learned is much more reliable and not that much slower.

Can anyone shed some light here and give me some suggestions. I am seriously thinking of going to a RAID1 setup but do not want to lose much performance. What I have been told in the past is that I will not lose performance enough to notice. Is this true?
    Last edited by AMDFREAKY; 10-14-2006 at 01:09 PM.
    Intel Core2 Duo 6600
    Asus P5N32E-SLI
    Dual Western Digital Raptor's 74Gig 10,000 RPM 16Meg cache RAID0
    Dual 80 gig Seagate Barracuda's RAID0
    Nvidia/ASUS 8800GTX
    Samsung DDR2 Dual channel 2Gig
    WindowsXP Pro

Re: RAID0 vs. RAID1 setup question.....

RAID-1 performance is about the same as a single drive, sometimes with slightly slower write speed. RAID-0 might help performance in some applications, photoshop would probably benefit from it. Remember that in RAID-0, the failure or corruption of either drive usually results in the loss of everything on both.

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    RAID-1 performance is about the same as a single drive, sometimes with slightly slower write speed. RAID-0 might help performance in some applications, photoshop would probably benefit from it. Remember that in RAID-0, the failure or corruption of either drive usually results in the loss of everything on both.

The question is, is it really worth the risk. If the performance gain really isn't all that much, then it makes no sense to be using the RAID0 setup. With my PC as fast as it is, I really doubt that using a RAID0 setup would give me the extra leap that I want. Are HDD seek times greatly deminished by using RAID1? Or will I find that using a RAID1 setup acts almost like a RAID0 except for a couple apps like Photoshop and perhaps Vegas Video?
    Intel Core2 Duo 6600
    Asus P5N32E-SLI
    Nvidia/ASUS 8800GTX
    WindowsXP Pro

you could always try raid 5 if you were to get 3 hdd's of the same size. you get some speed benefits as well as keeping 2/3 of your overall capacity for storage
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Quote Originally Posted by SuBX3r0 View Post
    you could always try raid 5 if you were to get 3 hdd's of the same size. you get some speed benefits as well as keeping 2/3 of your overall capacity for storage
    Not really an option here. What I have are two Seagate 80 gig drives, then two Seagate 160 gig drives. I am thinking of just using the 160 gig drives in a RAID1 setup and then getting rid o fthe 80 gig HDD's altogether because I don't need that much storage. But I really want to know if the performance is THAT much less with RAID1. All things I hear on the net is YES, the RAID 1 setup will be considerably slower. And that bothers me. If this isn't true, someone please explain....
    Intel Core2 Duo 6600
    Asus P5N32E-SLI
    Nvidia/ASUS 8800GTX
    WindowsXP Pro

Quote Originally Posted by AMDFREAKY View Post
    The question is, is it really worth the risk. If the performance gain really isn't all that much, then it makes no sense to be using the RAID0 setup.
    My opinion is that the added risk isn't worth it. I've been using RAID-1 for storage of important files since 2001 and it has saved my butt twice when maxtors failed. Wh have a member right here who yesterday posted that his RAID-0 failed and he lost everything on both. Needless to say, he isn't happy.

Are HDD seek times greatly deminished by using RAID1?
    RAID has no effect whatsoever on seek or access time. That is fixed by the properties of the drives themselves. What RAID can and sometimes does do is add a few tenths of a millisecond of additional controller latency, which is reflected in slightly slower access time. This shows up a lot on nvidia based boards but allmost never on others.

Or will I find that using a RAID1 setup acts almost like a RAID-0 except for a couple apps like Photoshop and perhaps Vegas Video?
    A two drive RAID-1 array performs about the same as a single drive, no performane gain at all. RAID-0 will perform better but wether one realises any real world benefit from it depends on how the machine is used and the applications being run.

My opinion is that the added risk isn't worth it. I've been using RAID-1 for storage of important files since 2001 and it has saved my butt twice when maxtors failed. Wh have a member right here who yesterday posted that his RAID-0 failed and he lost everything on both. Needless to say, he isn't happy.

RAID has no effect whatsoever on seek or access time. That is fixed by the properties of the drives themselves. What RAID can and sometimes does do is add a few tenths of a millisecond of additional controller latency, which is reflected in slightly slower access time. This shows up a lot on nvidia based boards but allmost never on others.

A two drive RAID-1 array performs about the same as a single drive, no performane gain at all. RAID-0 will perform better but wether one realises any real world benefit from it depends on how the machine is used and the applications being run.

So I can put two drives in a RAID1 setup and there will be two drives in Windows correct? Or does it still combine the drives together as one large drive? AND do I need RAID drivers when I install Windows using RAID1?
    Intel Core2 Duo 6600
    Asus P5N32E-SLI
    Nvidia/ASUS 8800GTX
    WindowsXP Pro

Quote Originally Posted by AMDFREAKY View Post
    So I can put two drives in a RAID1 setup and there will be two drives in Windows correct? Or does it still combine the drives together as one large drive? AND do I need RAID drivers when I install Windows using RAID1?
    Windows allways sees a RAID array as one drive. You will need to install RAID drivers.

Windows allways sees a RAID array as one drive. You will need to install RAID drivers.
    Thank you. I'm off to install RAID1. I think I am convinced now that my data is worth more then the performance gain I am seeing now, if any.
    Intel Core2 Duo 6600
    Asus P5N32E-SLI
    Nvidia/ASUS 8800GTX
    WindowsXP Pro

na I just lost first raid setup. Although I do have most everything backed up I hadnt backed up in a month or so so I lost some stuff I wanted back, but nothing that couldnt be replaced.

Im not going back to single drive performance games and large files I gota move around so raid 0 is where its at for me.

This new raid0 is going to have an automated back up routine though. Basically Im just waiting for something to happen and when it does ill be prepared.

Id rather run a raid 1 but I do notice a performance increase and do appreciate the raid 0. plus I dont have problems with buying new drives, they are cheap enough to have a few around to hold back ups, movies and music. I still get a laugh when people dont understand that harddrives are cheap and can be replaced or copied so easy so fast that dvd burning isnt all that and bag of chips sometimes.
    Last edited by ~Morphed~; 10-14-2006 at 02:02 PM.

The simple answer to having a RAID0 setup is to have a separate data drive and keep an image of the RAID0 on that storage drive. So consider the cost of a program like Acronis True Image part of the setup. If you can, I'd RAID0 the two 80GB drives and RAID1 the two 160GB drives. You get performance and redundancy. Beyond RAID, having a drive image program is the best. You do a fresh install of you OS and programs, image it and then every couple months with driver upgrades and program revisions you can go back to the clean image and install the latest of those. Keeps the OS clean and humming along as best as can be.

I found out last night while running memtest, that I have 2 sticks of bad memory, which could be contributing to my HDD errors. While it might not be the root cause it could certainly help with the data corruption I've been experiencing lately. So it's off to the ol' Newegg to get some new memory.......
    Intel Core2 Duo 6600
    Asus P5N32E-SLI
    Nvidia/ASUS 8800GTX
    WindowsXP Pro

Quote Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
    The simple answer to having a RAID0 setup is to have a separate data drive and keep an image of the RAID0 on that storage drive. So consider the cost of a program like Acronis True Image part of the setup. If you can, I'd RAID0 the two 80GB drives and RAID1 the two 160GB drives. You get performance and redundancy. Beyond RAID, having a drive image program is the best. You do a fresh install of you OS and programs, image it and then every couple months with driver upgrades and program revisions you can go back to the clean image and install the latest of those. Keeps the OS clean and humming along as best as can be.

symantec back up exec system recovery for the desktop or server is very impressive. I will be trying it useing it from now on. Lets you back up while the sytem is running too. Does increments all while the system is up and on a schedule.

There are some webcasts you can watch about it. Its also very fast.