Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How long has it been for you?

I came across this article today - My first 10 years with Linux

http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/09/1814208

I started using Linux back in the summer of 2001. It was a Red Hat 7.1 box that we had installed at work (University) to replace an ageing Silicon Graphics Indigo workstation (IRIX) as the main piece of software that it ran had just been ported to Linux by the manufacturer (Jeol).

I'd used IRIX on SGI's since about mid 1996, but I was really just a point and click user, and knew very little about UNIX in general - really just enough shell commands to do the basics.

The introduction of the RH Linux workstation gave me the opportunity to really "learn" Linux, but it wasn't until about a year later (2002) when I installed RH on my laptop as a dual boot did I really start to explore the possibilities, and by sometime around early 2004 with the release of FC1 I'd ditched Windows on my main desktop in favour of Linux.

So for me, it's been 10 years with IRIX/UNIX, and 5 years with Linux

How long has it been for you?

Re: How long has it been for you?

I have tinkered off and on with linux since 1999

my 1st successfull install was Redhat 6.X on a Thinkpad 770z

several attempts off and on through the years until as a secondary OS until around 2004 with SuSe 9.0

Been actively using it as a primary OS since about April of this year, though I do still have my Windows machines, I have 3 now that use linux as their only OS and they all coexist rather nicely.

I might point out that almost all of my Windows machines use a lot of opensource software....much the same programs as my linux machines...it makes the transistion smoother

I will probably have 1 Vista machine for the sake of learning it, since I will undoubtably have some friends and family that will have one

5 years!
    ./

SuSE 8.2 whenever that was.
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

I messed around with SuSE 8.0 back in the summer of 2002, but that only lasted a week or so. I tried it on a whim and therefore didn't know what I was getting myself into. "Round two" started January 2005 with RH 9. From RH I tried Mandrake 10, then FC 3, and am currently using CentOS 4.2...or 4.4...I'm not sure. (4.2 ISO on my FAT32 partition which I assume I used to install, but cat /etc/redhat-release says 4.4.) So, besides an occasional game and syncing my iPod, I've been using Linux as my primary OS since February 2005.

i was a lil kid,but never got the jinx of it well,technically it was unix but ahem

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Been messing with Linux for about 4 years, but only seriously for the last 2.
    Biostar TA 770/ X2 7850 BE
    AC Freezer 64 Pro
    OCZ Gold 4x1024
    EVGA 9800GTX
    Coolermaster CM-690
    Coolermaster RPP RS-650
    Win7Pro

Started out with UNIX in the late 80's (1987 or 1988) until July 1990.

Then was about 2000 I played around with Redhat 7 for a bit, then dropped off until about 2002 when I went back to Redhat 7.3. Used 7.3 up until fedora core 2 came out.

So Linux about 6 years length but really there was a year or 2 I was not really using it in the time line.

Now I am using Fedora and CentOS at home and AIX UNIX at work
    WWW/FORUM: IRON Phoenix Headquarters
    GAMING: War Hammer On-Line, Star Trek Online, Call Of Duty 4, IL2:Aces, and NWN 2
    Main Rig:
    Gateway M685 w/C2D T7200 - Geforce 7900 GS - 18" 1080p (Laptop)

Other Rigs:
    Chaintech VNF3-250, w/AMD64 3400+
    ASRock K8Upgrade-NF3 w/AMD64 3200+ (HTPC)
    Chaintech 7NLI1 w/Barton 2500+ (sons PC)
    Gigabyte GA-7VKMP-P w/Athlon 1.4G (Backup system)
    HP MediaSmart EX495 (Home Server)

I have been dabling with Linux since RedHat 7, I think it was. I had a hard time then, and went back to Windows for a while, till RH 8 came out. STill keeping a winblows box around, till I finally switch over completely when RH 9 came out. I haven't looked back since. I still have to deal with 40+ Windows boxes at work, but I am slowly migrating some of those over as well. The ones I have changed over were boxes that users were contantly getting into trouble, and having to have their systems re-installed. I changed them to Linux and they haven't had problems since.... Mind you, these are the users that just use office apps, and internet (the source of their problems in the first place!).....

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4
    (AKA Idahopackersfan2, Woody, Woody1&2)

When I first saw this, I thought: "what an odd question." But then I realized you were talking about Linux.

Lost my virginity to Linux in June 2004.

Think I am still in honeymoon with it.

I've dabbled with Linux on and off for years, but I've never really done much serious work on it until about now. I was a die-hard Mandrake fan, but I've not been keen on Mandriva. I liked SuSe, but it's had a nasty tendancy to lock up for no reason. I've found CentOS to be virtually bulletproof, however, so that's been my choice.

about 4 years started with SuSE 8; Played around with Mandrake and Debian; Now running Fedora most of time.

Marmo:
    Ci5 4690K + Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H + 2x8GB Corsair 1600 C9 + Palit GTX980 SJ + 256GB(SSD)/1TB(HDD) running Win7 Pro x64.

Kanon (wife's PC):
    Ci5 6600K + Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 + 2x8GB Corsair 2666 C16 + MSI GTX1080 G+X 11Gbps + 256GB(SSD)/1TB(HDD) running Win8.1 Pro x64.

Alania:
    Dell Vostro 3460: Ci7 3632QM + HM77 + 6GB DDR3-1600 + Nvidia GT630M + 480GB SSD running Win7 Pro x64.

Moss (Windows Hyper-V RemoteFX server):
    Ci5 6600K + Asus Maximum VIII HERO + 2x8GB Corsair 2666 C16 + MSI GTX660 TF + 2x2TB (RAID1) HDDs running Win2012 R2 Std. x64.

Flame (Linux server / F@H):
    PIIX4 925 + ASRock 890FX Deluxe5 + 2x4GB Corsair 1833 C9 + Sapphire HD5750 1GB + 2x250GB(System RAID1)/3x500GB(3ware 9650SE-4LPML RAID5) HDDs running CentOS 6.7 x64.

Valis:
    C2Q Q9650 + Asus P5Q3 Dlx. + 2x4GB Corsair 1600 C8 + EVGA GTX560 Ti SC + 2x74GB/500GB HDDs running Fedora 21 x64.

Quote Originally Posted by Big B-man View Post
    I've dabbled with Linux on and off for years, but I've never really done much serious work on it until about now. I was a die-hard Mandrake fan, but I've not been keen on Mandriva. I liked SuSe, but it's had a nasty tendancy to lock up for no reason. I've found CentOS to be virtually bulletproof, however, so that's been my choice.
    I'm amazed as to how many people on these forums are now using CentOS. I thought I was the only one when I first started using it, but since then I've noticed lots of people saying they're using it.

I must admit, CentOS has been brilliant for me, but then I've always been of the Red Hat persuasion. Maybe one day I'll try another flavour of Linux, but for now I just have no reason to.

I think it has been about 3/4 years now. Nothing close to where I would call myself a guru. Sorry Ned, only of the debian mix here. Urpmi and yum just seem really slow to me compared to apt. BUT... there are 3 distributions I am looking at that peek my interest:

Gobo Linux - (taken from thier site) GoboLinux is a Linux distribution that features a new filesystem organization, which departs from the traditional Unix heritage of Linux systems. Basically, this means that it is not based in directories such as /usr and /etc. The main idea of the alternative hierarchy is to store all files belonging to an application in its own separate subtree; therefore we have directories such as /Programs/FooPlayer/1.0/lib.

Symphony OS - The use of web development in the Mezzo desktop intriges me

gNewsense - pretty much ubuntu stripped of its proprietary and non-free components, and adds several enhancements.

I am still in that testing phase, sort of...