View Poll Results: How are you going to vote?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vote enthusiastically Democrat

4 16.67%
  • Hold my nose and vote Democrat

0 0%
  • Vote for independents or a mixture of candidates

10 41.67%
  • Hold my nose and vote Republican

8 33.33%
  • Vote enthusiastically Republican

1 4.17%
  • I'm not going to vote

1 4.17%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: How are you going to vote?

By voting for "the lesser of two weevils" (one of my favorite lines from "Master and Commander), you can effectly nudge parties in the direction you would like them to go. Look at where we are now, those on the left have taken over the Democratic party, the conservatives are virtually gone. Conversely, the right has mostly taken over the Republican party, very few of the old country club Republicans left. Those changes did not occur overnight but have been going on since the 60's.
    Brian

I was not impressed at the slogan above the back bumper on the bus I saw today. It stated:
    "Don't take any static
    This year vote
    Straight Democratic"

I understand that ANY party salivates over getting votes for experienced, educated, the polititian with good voting records; along with the ones that are scoundrels, extortionists, the corrupt and liar.

But I also think its insulting to direct the voter to not look at what candidates stand for, or if the 'straight democrat' is a decent individual at all. I guess they just need bricks in the wall. I was not impressed.
    Lately whenever gas prices go up , a part of me thinks back to the times of Bill Clinton , and I think of all the great things he did for China

Quote Originally Posted by NeForce View Post
    I was not impressed at the slogan above the back bumper on the bus I saw today. It stated:
    "Don't take any static
    This year vote
    Straight Democratic"

I understand that ANY party salivates over getting votes for experienced, educated, the polititian with good voting records; along with the ones that are scoundrels, extortionists, the corrupt and liar.

But I also think its insulting to direct the voter to not look at what candidates stand for, or if the 'straight democrat' is a decent individual at all. I guess they just need bricks in the wall. I was not impressed.
    Should I count the number of GWB bumper stickers in Indiana? Howabout "Mitch is not my man"?

C'mon, they are friggin bumper stickers

This was a billboard, not that it matters. But to have either party put out a slogun of 'VOTE FOR US, YOU MINDLESS DRONE. IT MATTERS NOT IF WE ARE A JUST REPRESENTITIVE OF THE PARTY. ALL OUR IDEAS ARE RIGHT AND NEED NO INFLUENCE BY WHAT YOU SELF-PROCLAIMED FREE THINKER WOULD SUGGEST'
    Lately whenever gas prices go up , a part of me thinks back to the times of Bill Clinton , and I think of all the great things he did for China

Quote Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
    By voting for "the lesser of two weevils" (one of my favorite lines from "Master and Commander), you can effectly nudge parties in the direction you would like them to go. Look at where we are now, those on the left have taken over the Democratic party, the conservatives are virtually gone. Conversely, the right has mostly taken over the Republican party, very few of the old country club Republicans left. Those changes did not occur overnight but have been going on since the 60's.
    That's the thing; why should we have to bother 'nudging' parties? We shouldn't have political parties in the first place, much less be subject to their whims.

Quote Originally Posted by myv65 View Post
    You know, it's possible to be correct and still be wrong. Let me explain what I mean. I agree that it will not change so long as people look at the two parties and declare, "Damned if I do, damned if I don't, but at least candidate X is better than candidate Y." But you know what? It isn't going to change simply because folks like you say,
    I didn't say that type of voting alone would bring about change. Rather, it is one in a series of actions toward an end.

"Screw you guys. You're all a bunch of losers unworthy of my vote."
    And if most voters did that, what do you think the result would be?

On a good day our turn-out wavers around the 50% mark. Often times, when less is at stake, it is far lower.
    That's another problem with the system.

I see no evidence that such paltry turn-out has done a darn thing to strengthen any of the bit players that call themselves political parties. At best they get a couple percentage points of the vote, and quite frankly given the nutcases that run under some of those banners it scares me that they get that much.
    It scares me how many votes some of the other parties get, too. The Constitution Party (hilarious name given their stances), for instance.

Ross Perot ran for President and eventually formed his own party. He spents tons of money. Arguably he's the reason why Clinton beat Bush is '92. Even with his media blitz and seemingly bottomless pockets he couldn't do more than nudge the election from one of the two parties to the other, falling far behind both Clinton and Bush and garnering zero electoral votes.

In a sense I don't know that a viable third party is a good thing. We're left with wishy-washy government that argues about everything and does nothing, which is what I think of lots of other "democracies" around the globe. Everyone becomes a minority party member. And yeah, I understand that some find such a situation preferable.
    I disagree. I don't think it would make things 'wishy-washy', but rejuvenated. I'd like to get rid of parties altogether, eventually.

Of course, where we've gone in the past fifteen years or so is little better, if any. Even with two parties they argue about everything and do little beyond spend money they don't have. What I want are two strong parties who must compromise to capture the bulk of voters who reside between the two political extremes. But I digress.
    I chalk that up more to the greed for power and money than most anything else.

My point is that the odds of our two party system vanishing any time soon are somewhere around zip, zilch, zero. In the mean time, IMHO, it's best to face the reality of it and do what one can to keep the worst out of office when there isn't a best to put in office.
    The chances may be next to nothing, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to accomplish the good. When it comes to preserving the republic and its principles, I vote that way. If it really came down to something drastic, say between a Ross Perot-type and a nouveau Hitler (for ease of example), I'd go with the former. But such is not the case in this election or the next. There really are few differences between the two parties; they differ mainly in rhetoric, not in substance. There are elements within each that break from the mainstream, like I would say Bush and friends do, and those element can drag the whole with them. But for the most part, it's a choice between Kang and Kodos.

Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Wow - that is a nice conclusion you made from the sign.

I have seen similar Republican signs. However, this does not mean either one of the signs are supported or condoned by each respective party.

^^ *nods*

It still irked me though. It irks me like if there were pop-ups that said "Click Me if you don't want a choice in your vote for $name$" and it would be cast for candidate X in internet voting and was perfectly legal.

I like how the independant vote just usually helps the republicans especially since only 35% or so of the voting public even bothers to vote anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan View Post
    That's the thing; why should we have to bother 'nudging' parties? We shouldn't have political parties in the first place, much less be subject to their whims.

{snip}

The chances may be next to nothing, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to accomplish the good.
    You know, perhaps Dutch has offered the best solution. Given that we're not heading for a "zero party" state any time soon then it follows that "nudging" the two main parties is our only tool. As such, then voting against every incumbent would send quite the message. Heck, that's about as likely as the "no one's getting my vote and they'll get the message".

No chance, mind you, but it would be hilarious to see the media cover the event. I'm thinking Les Nesman and the turkey drop, replacing the turkeys with incumbents. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by myv65 View Post
    No chance, mind you, but it would be hilarious to see the media cover the event. I'm thinking Les Nesman and the turkey drop, replacing the turkeys with incumbents. LOL.
    Hahahaha. I love that episode. Hahaha.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

As a side note, the poll is pretty comical, IMHO. Most of those voting the Repulican ticket are holding their noses. I read this as being sick of the lack of fiscal restraint that used to be the hallmark of the party. The only folks voting Democrat so far are doing so enthusiastically. I can only read this to indicate they think the Democratic platform is wonderful. Funny, it's about as clear to me as the trees in the distance before I put in my contacts. The "platform" still strikes me as little more than "we can't possibly be worse than those other guys" and "we'll let the tax breaks expire, and nevermind that those tax breaks gave the biggest percentage break to the middle class".

Not the end of the world, But they sell pictures of it

I'm going to vote against any incumbent...none of them have earned my vote.
    The Heat 99-0-0

Trading Post Rules

Sound Familiar? "If we quit Vietnam," President Lyndon Johnson warned, "tomorrow we'll be fighting in Hawaii, and next week we'll have to fight in San Francisco."

That's exactly how I'm voting, Sound.

Incumbents need to get out.

Im voting for Bill the Cat.
    Or Oreo Cookies... whichever makes the ballot.

Newest Article: PC Gaming Superiority
    http://richardmccord.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trekari View Post
    That's exactly how I'm voting, Sound.

Incumbents need to get out.
    Without regard as to how they vote on the issues or which party they are from?
    Brian