Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BWM want your advise

Hello BWM , how ya been ?
    Anyway I been playing with a raptor 8mb, 36 gig drive on a nforce 4 board and yuh ! The system runs like crap, I blame it on 2 things , nvidias SATA drivers and I am running windows 2000 so I am dumping Nforce 4 . Now on with the question , I got a VIA board , a asus A8V-E SE what do you recomend running my raptor as a SATA mode or raid JBOD mode ? and what about drivers ? any prefered drivers say version XXX over version AAA ?
    Also what 4-n-1 VIA drivers are you using

note to all please no aruements over nforce VS VIA if thats your game then post in a seperate thread
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Re: BWM want your advise

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    Hello BWM , how ya been ?
    Doing fine thanks

Anyway I been playing with a raptor 8mb, 36 gig drive on a nforce 4 board and yuh ! The system runs like crap, I blame it on 2 things , nvidias SATA drivers and I am running windows 2000 so I am dumping Nforce 4.
    How do you know it was a HD performance related issue? Did ATTO benchmarks turn out about right, using the raptor benchmarks reference sticky as a guide?

Now on with the question , I got a VIA board , a asus A8V-E SE what do you recomend running my raptor as a SATA mode or raid JBOD mode ? and what about drivers ? any prefered drivers say version XXX over version AAA ?
    Also what 4-n-1 VIA drivers are you using
    I recommend using it in straight IDE/SATA mode. No RAID or JBOD. If the BIOS has a setting for running SATA drives in IDE mode then you probably won't need to load SATA drivers at the F6 prompt, in which case just install the VIA Hyperion Driver package once windows has been installed.

If the system won't install on SATA without drivers then download this file and extract the contents of the folder named drvrdsk to a floopy, and use that floppy at the F6 prompt during windows installation.

Well I'll gladly chime in with some advice since I have the A8V Deluxe and I would think most aspects concerning the performance are the same. First off, there aren't any "best performing" drivers for VIA's RAID that I've read about or experienced. The newest are the 5.30C, which come with VIA's Hyperion Driver suite which I believe the current is 5.10, or you can download them separately to install. All at viaarena.com.

Second, if you plan to OC, VIA can have issues just like NVidia. You may have problems as simple as getting errors trying to install a SATA drive, or slower performanc out of all devices ran by the southbridge(SATA and PATA). I can't go over 262 FSB or benchmarks such as HD Tach show a 15-20% drop in performance. Another user had his machine OC'ed to 245 FSB and couldn't install his SATA drive without errors and had no problem once back to stock speeds. If you don't OC, well, at least you know about potential problems.

As far as disk setup, you mention one drive, but doing a JBOD setup. Without another hard drive you can't do a JBOD(spanning two disks as one volume), and I'd certainly not do it without a twin Raptor for speeds sake. Otherwise if this system is already running with an OS, just install the VIA RAID/SATA driver after enabling in the BIOS, boot and install the drivers, and then attach the Raptor to the port to run as a single, or two singles if you have another. Have fun.

Edit: I see BWM responded and noted about the driver for a fresh install on SATA. Let me just add I can't remember myself if the RAID/SATA driver is needed since it was so long ago, but it wouldn't hurt to install it.
    Last edited by tuskenraider; 10-25-2006 at 08:59 PM.

The problem was weird , some programs refused to install corectly , boot time was way slow . I tested my theory by copying the whole SATA drive to a PATA drive , and bingo all is well . I suspect that it is a windows 2000/nforce issue .
    I kinda hated to dump the brand new board , it is a nice one but it is acdemic now as the asus board is in route . anyway you already know my feeling on nforce so we wont go down that road !
    Anyway I gotta solve the raptor issue , as I do plan to use one of the new 16MB drives , figure I will use the 8mb one for practice then use it as a back up drive I can copy the OS over to the new raptor

I suspect the long boot time problem was BIOS setup related. Go ahead and prepare the SATA driver installation disk as I described. I'll get a manual for the board. I need to see if it uses the standard VT8237 chip, or the newer VT8237R or R Plus variants.

It uses the VT8237R so I don't think you'll need the SATA driver floppy for installation, but make the driver anyway just in case.

I will say that this new dual core 4800+ is awesome I am running a virus scan and typing this with no slowdowns .
    I ran the amd dual core optmizer and that realy helped

to tuskenraider
    I used to have a soltek KT600 with a 8237 chip I ran a single raptor in it using the raid mode , if I remember right , I just plugged in the drive and went to town , this was when the raptors 1st came out and I used the orignal 1st released via drivers . As I remember it it was awesome ! I never seen windows 2000 boot so fast ! 25 seconds to fully format . Thats what I am after !
    On That soltek I tryed SATA no raid mode , not realy that good.
    Seeing you do have a asus then how does asus do on no raid sata mode ?

Yeah, since my image of my OS was created so long ago, I have just about every driver possible on it. Probably won't need one. Anyway,as long as I keep the FSB under 263, great. I also have an onboard Promise RAID controller and that performs like doodoo. Something to look forward to with a new Raptor on VIA controller:

Last edited by tuskenraider; 10-25-2006 at 10:40 PM.

Amazes me how they could tweak the little fella to perform like that. They must have used a short-stroked 74 gig platter.

tuskenraider
    That is awesome !

They must have used a short-stroked 74 gig platter.
    I've read discussions about it, and maybe most were here, but people were thinking one side of one platter for the 36'er, and both sides for the 74GB drive and two platters for the 150GB drive. Nothing noted at WD's site I've found though.

That could be. Another possibility is an unusually agressive zoning pattern. Run the test again using the long 32 setting.

BWM
    say I know your running windows 2000 and a dual core on a VIA board. On mine I get sound skipping when playing a MP3
    I tryed all drivers I could think of and this new problem is giving me more reason to dump nvidia for a VIA mobo
    do you have any issues with you rig ?
    I am hoping it not the dual core cpu bug

I haven't experienced ANY of the so-called chronic "VIA bugs" on any VIA board I've ever owned, from the VP3 to the present. No sound skipping, no USB bugs, nothing. Either in Unix or in windows.

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    I haven't experienced ANY of the so-called chronic "VIA bugs" on any VIA board I've ever owned, from the VP3 to the present. No sound skipping, no USB bugs, nothing. Either in Unix or in windows.
    Thanks that is encouraging , must be this dumb A** *&&^% motherboard then , well I gota a VIA Fix for that !