Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: gonna install CentOS

ok lets "pretend" im linux stupid (only cause for the most part i am) LOL
    what folder should i make the windows directory in?
    or when i edit the fstab file do it all?
    sorry but i am still a linux newb ive never messed with editing in linux before
    onry
    email

my heat

work PC epox mf570sli-pro AMD 5000 x2, 2GB patriot 6400
    2 evga 8600GT-SC in SLI 1-120GB HDD and 1 500GB HDD 400watt agi psu

No, you need to make a directory (and subdirectories) to mount the partitions in.

I used /windows and /windows/disk1 etc as an example. It doesn't matter where you make it, as long as the path to it is correct in your fstab file.

You could make it in the top level directory (ie, just /windows), or you could make it in your home directory (/home/<username>/windows).

If you make it anywhere other than in your home directory you'll probably need to be root to make it and then root will own it so you'll need to change the file permissions so you then own it. For this reason it may be easiest to just make it in your home directory.

In the example christop gave above, he used directories off of /mnt. The /mnt is a standard Linux directory normally used to mount things, but personally I find it rather non-descriptive hence why I suggested /windows for your windows partitions

Code:
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs ro,uid=christop54,gid=christop54 0 0
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 ntfs ro,uid=christop54,gid=christop54 0 0
    /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 ntfs ro,uid=christop54,gid=christop54 0 0
    /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 ntfs ro,uid=christop54,gid=christop54 0 0
    /dev/hdb5 /mnt/hdb5 ntfs ro,uid=christop54,gid=christop54 0 0
    /dev/hdb6 /mnt/hdb6 ntfs ro,uid=christop54,gid=christop54 0 0

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    If you make it anywhere other than in your home directory you'll probably need to be root to make it and then root will own it so you'll need to change the file permissions so you then own it. For this reason it may be easiest to just make it in your home directory.
    Back when I went through what onry is, I initially had permission issues as my NTFS partitions are mounted in /mnt. But, when I edited fstab this was solved as I added my UID and GID.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    The /mnt is a standard Linux directory normally used to mount things, but personally I find it rather non-descriptive hence why I suggested /windows for your windows partitions
    Out of curiosity, what do you mean by non-descriptive? thanx

well i thought i had it right cause i got one partition to mount no prob and then i got an error that said wronf fs type or to many file systems to mount
    so i copied my fstab file to see if i made a mistake somewhere. the sda1-sdd1 are the ones that wont mount

for details
    LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/hdc1 /home/onry/windows/hdc1 ntfs ro,uid=onry,gid=onry 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /home/onry/windows/sda1 ntfs ro.uid=onry,gid=onry 0 0
    /dev/sdb1 /home/onry/windows/sdb1 ntfs ro.uid=onry,gid=onry 0 0
    /dev/sdc1 /home/onry/windows/sdc1 ntfs ro.uid=onry,gid=onry 0 0
    /dev/sdd1 /home/onry/windows/sdd1 ntfs ro.uid=onry,gid=onry 0 0
    email

my heat

WTG onry

Quote Originally Posted by onry View Post
    well i thought i had it right cause i got one partition to mount no prob and then i got an error that said wronf fs type or to many file systems to mount
    so i copied my fstab file to see if i made a mistake somewhere. the sda1-sdd1 are the ones that wont mount

for details
    LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/hdc1 /home/onry/windows/hdc1 ntfs ro,uid=onry,gid=onry 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /home/onry/windows/sda1 ntfs ro.uid=onry,gid=onry 0 0
    /dev/sdb1 /home/onry/windows/sdb1 ntfs ro.uid=onry,gid=onry 0 0
    /dev/sdc1 /home/onry/windows/sdc1 ntfs ro.uid=onry,gid=onry 0 0
    /dev/sdd1 /home/onry/windows/sdd1 ntfs ro.uid=onry,gid=onry 0 0
    Looks like a small typo in there.

Lines for sda1 - sdd1 need a comma (,) after ro, not a full stop! You have it correct on the first entry for hdc1, but wrong on the rest.

Try that and see if it fixes it.
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 11-04-2006 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christop54 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what do you mean by non-descriptive? thanx
    Just that /mnt isn't a very descriptive folder name for what is mounted. I prefer things like /Ned's_Documents or /Ned's_Music rather than /mnt/hda7 etc

I tend to think of my disks/partitions in terms of their content rather than as a number. Personal preference

hey Ned thanks for the check.
    i musta been more tired than i thought last night since that slipped right by me LOL
    any ways i fixed the typo and all HDD's are mounted wo0t
    onry
    email

my heat

Quote Originally Posted by onry View Post
    hey Ned thanks for the check.
    i musta been more tired than i thought last night since that slipped right by me LOL
    any ways i fixed the typo and all HDD's are mounted wo0t
    onry
    Sorted

Can I get some sleep now

I've been waiting to rebuild the desktop first, but it's going to be a while for the new cpu, so I'm thinking of going ahead and putting xubuntu on the laptop, any suggestions? I'm a little nervous about going to a foreign os w/ the only working system in the house. I've got xubuntu sounded like a good distro to try, but haven't really researched if it'll be the most suitable for a laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ_Hythloday View Post
    I've been waiting to rebuild the desktop first, but it's going to be a while for the new cpu, so I'm thinking of going ahead and putting xubuntu on the laptop, any suggestions? I'm a little nervous about going to a foreign os w/ the only working system in the house. I've got xubuntu sounded like a good distro to try, but haven't really researched if it'll be the most suitable for a laptop.
    Are you sure you meant to post in this Centos thread?

I have had many distros on this laptop, the current one is from a Kubuntu (Dapper) cd. It is much simpler than some distribution installs in that it only comes with KDE and its apps. A new user can get pretty confused if the menus are full of both Gnome and KDE as well as various other X apps for each task. Kubuntu default seems very slick and simple. The installer is almost as simple as Windows. KDE is sort of Windows like, a little more so than Gnome and more so than X-windows environments such as fluxbox.

However, I would definitely NOT suggest installing it as your only OS on your only system. As easy as it is, you must assume that at some point you will be in a situation where all you can get is a black screen with a command prompt. If you do not know what you will do when that happens, then you definitely do not want to make that your only computer.

Wait and use an extra PC, I wouldn't even set up a dual boot without another system around to go online and look for help if needed. Look at the situation earlier in the thread, he lost access to Windows and had to work out of it.

RJ try lookin at some of the local resale shops ie. goodwill or places like that
    alot of times you can pick up an old P2 or P3 machine for next to nothin
    use that for trying out xubuntu on before commiting your main rig to any
    new OS.
    i dual booted mine cause i knew i would have access to the net one way or another to find the answer to any problems i had with access to a minimum
    of 4 PC's at any given time and the parts to build more if i needed
    but thats just my .02 cents LOL
    onry
    email

my heat

Just to add on what the others have said. It isn't really a good idea to make xubuntu your only OS if your not used with Linux and how it works. The first time i installed Linux i went for Fedora Core 5, I set it up on a dual boot with Windows. I ran into all sorts of problems trying to get my DSL connection set up and also finding the right drivers for the modem. Luckily i still had my Windows partition where i could access the net to help me find answers.

I'm not trying to put you off trying xubuntu in any way! Far from it, I've really gotten to like the Linux platform over this last while. Just be prepared to do a little bit of learning. Good luck if you do decide to take the plunge!