Computer hangs while using ANY wireless adapter?!?

Pretty frustrating problem. I finally got a new wireless router. (D Link 524) And I tried to install the DWL-G122 wireless adapter that came with it. Well after installing it and getting back on the internet, the computer soon hung. No blue screen or anything, it just stalled and I had to restart.

Figuring it was just a crappy adapter I popped in the Belkin Wireless G adapter I was using on another computer previously. It eventually installed as well, but I encountered the same problem. This time while merely trying to start Prime95 a min or so after booting up, it hung again.

This has repeated for the past couple restarts and I have once again uninstalled the adapters, and this time reinstalled the Dlink adapter in hopes it will not give me problems.

My windows installation is rather old (4 years) and the only other networking problem I have had (while using the Ethernet jack) is that after some random amount of time online, I will no longer be able to be seen by the other computers on my network, and I can no longer see them, though all internet functions work fine.

I'll rap this up because I expect for it to hang again, but is there anything I should check to maybe fix this? It has to be with my computer, since multiple adapters made the computer hang, but I am at my wits end on to what is the real cause........

Re: Computer hangs while using ANY wireless adapter?!?

Can you provide us with a bit more information please?
    • What specific make/model motherboard are you using?
    • Which PCI slot are you using?
    • Which OS? Windows XP?
    • Are you using the wireless client software provided with the wireless NIC's or are you using the Windows wireless client?
    Sounds to me like it could be one of two things. A hardware interrupt conflict, in which case you could try changing the slot that the card(s) are placed in or it's a Windows glitch with wireless networking. Your motherboard manual may have a PCI INTerrupt sharing table displaying which PCI slots are shared with other PCI slots and maybe which onboard devices various PCI slots share devices with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Can you provide us with a bit more information please?
    • What specific make/model motherboard are you using?
    • Which PCI slot are you using?
    • Which OS? Windows XP?
    • Are you using the wireless client software provided with the wireless NIC's or are you using the Windows wireless client?
    Sounds to me like it could be one of two things. A hardware interrupt conflict, in which case you could try changing the slot that the card(s) are placed in or it's a Windows glitch with wireless networking. Your motherboard manual may have a PCI INTerrupt sharing table displaying which PCI slots are shared with other PCI slots and maybe which onboard devices various PCI slots share devices with.
    The system is in my sig, so the motherboard is a shuttle F25N/FN25 I think. OS is Win XP With SP1 applied.. And it looks like im going to pick your brain over this, because

1. Im not using a PCI slot, the XPC doesnt have a regular one, both of these adapters are USB
    2. I have tried using the adapters with the windows wireless client enabled, and disabled (or in other words with the adapter's utility taking contol. None of which seem to prevent hanging.

A small update as well.
    -It hung consistently while trying to copy over a folder that is over the network.
    -Once it gave me a blue screen called "Machine Check Exception" I googled and most results said this error is caused by faulty hardware, so I backed off my OC to more typical levels.
    -Over the next 6 restarts, it hung usually within a minute or two of getting past the welcome screen, and in no real frequency in relation to what I was doing. A few times it hung while loading my messenging application, and other startup items. Another time while I was opening firefox.
    -I have pulled out the wireless adapter the last time it booted, and it sits at the desktop with nothing open, but it hasnt crashed yet. (however folding @home is going, so I wouldnt say it is idle.

Ah. You're overclocking. To troubleshoot this properly, you really need to set the machine back to stock speeds. Even then it is possible that the OS has been corrupted as a result of the overclock - regardless of how stable the machine may have tested or seemed to operate.

See how you go with all settings back to stock. If you have any other USB devices, it's probably also a good idea to remove those first and then try the wireless NIC's. If it still happened at stock speeds, personally I would be tempted to try a repair install in case any essential networking files have been corrupted, but try the next suggestion first if you can.

If you had a spare hard disk, a good troubleshooting procedure would be to drop that into the Shuttle, install XP and drivers (at stock settings) and then try the wireless NIC's. This will help identify the problem as a Windows issue or a hardware issue. Similarly, if you have another machine, you might also like to try the NIC's on that.

Win XP SP1 in my experience is immature with wireless, so I'd recommend using the adaptor's wireless client software if possible. Also, MS didn't support USB2.0 in WinXP SP1, so if it has USB2.0 ports, which USB drivers are you using?

One more thing - I couldn't find an FN25 or F25N on the Shuttle site. Do you think you could track it down for me? Seeing the manual may help people to help you. Cheers.

I am currently using one of the wireless adapters in another computer, so I do not believe that the adapters are at fault.

Also, now that I think about it I recall having several problems with USB devices, or what I think were USB devices on this computer. My iPod (I think) caused the computer to hang while transferring music, but I just switched it over to fire wire connection, and it was fine. Also my 6-1 card reader that is built into the Shuttle XPC caused it to freeze as well from time to time, so I just took that out of the box and disconnected it, though im not sure if that was hooked onto the motherboard via a USB header.

And also my current USB mouse isn't recognized by the computer if the computer is shut down improperly, however disconnecting and reconnecting it upon windows login fixes that. Oh and come to think of it a USB thumbdrive I have also caused the computer to freeze, but I just assumed the thumbdrive was bad.

When I get home from work in the evening I will find out what the date of my USB driver is.

I tried updating the usbhub driver on the machine with one from the machine I am typing on (an up to date one) and that didnt work, so now I booted up a windows disc and am repairing the installation.

Also, this is the page for my motherboard manual. (Its a shuttle XPC, so its the manual for the whole thing)

http://global.shuttle.com/Download/D...asp?Item=SN25P

Another update, I finished repairing windows, and what essientally updated it to SP2, and tried to use the adapter again, and it hung, again.

Going to try the fresh windows install in a minute I guess.

Have you returned the PC to stock speeds yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Have you returned the PC to stock speeds yet?
    Yep, back to stock speeds now. Windows is done installing on the PC and I am back into windows, have installed only the wireless adapter and im currently carrying over a big 200mb file to test to see if it freezes, it hasnt yet. Looks like this method works.

If this doesnt end up freezing, do I have any options other than making a new windows installation? It is a rather old one, and I would hate to have to reinstall about 90 programs, half of which would take me days to find again on the internet. Any hope for the old installation if even the repair I did, didnt work?

EDIT: Hah! It froze anyway, although it was almost 50 percent done with transferring the file. I think it might just be because I jumped the gun and didnt install the motherboard drivers, doing that now and then going back to the file transfer.

EDIT 2: Froze again, even after installing the motherboard/audio drivers.
    Last edited by _John_Lennon_; 11-04-2006 at 10:29 PM.

I'm thinking this is an issue with the USB ports on the shuttle. You've had issues with other USB devices, you've replicated this problem with a fresh install of Windows and you have tested the wireless NIC's on another PC and they worked.

How many USB ports do you have on that thing? If you have more than two, have you tried other ports? There are no PCI slots, right?

If you can test your PSU, that would be about all I can suggest from here apart from adding a PCI USB controller card (you can't though, right?) or swapping the motherboard.

Already moved the USB adapter around, to the back ports and then to the front ports.

Also what would you like me to check with my multimeter as far as the PSU goes? The 5V line that the USB uses? (I've checked my rails out before with it, an excellent gift from my dad)

I would just probe the 5V and 12V rails via the Molex plugs, as shown in the link I provided.