Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: Bump this thread when Dems take control of the house and the senate

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Lets go point by point cause you have alot of points/info.

Then Ive misunderstood you around two party issue. My bad. Somehow I had it in my head you felt the system was fundementally "flawed" when one party controls all.

Democrats to show they wanta get by the polarization? Where did it start otoc? It started with the 2004 elections annd a rather obstructionist position by dems in my view. But whatever. Thats a perception issue.

No arguement with the rest of what you say. Were never that far off from one another on mechanics of how stuff works.

My main caution is for Dems not to oversell their recent victories.
    Congress is still congress and theyll still be taking a lead from the President.
    Unless they want "polarized" politics.
    LOL, in spite of what a few around here state, I am extremely conservative when it comes to the design of our system. The vision that produced it was nothing short of brilliance.

The balance of power shifts back and forth as the needs of the nation dictate. Sometimes parties gain too much power and are put in their place as this election cycle showed.

To your point about the President, he will now be flying with his GOP parachute. Something I've desired for some time.

You know, the GOP will have to adapt and change as much as the Dems will have to as a result of this election. Both need to look forward to the the next Presidential circus.

Let me amplify the discussion about "polarization". Mind you..these are things I recall and why I simply "wonder" who caused what.

Judicial nominees. Who can argue dems got really obstinate with the issue.
    Threatining fillibusters. The Gang of 14. Thats not polarizing?

Patriot Act. Reids famous words..."we killed the Patriot Act"

So yes. It would be refreshing to see a change...not voting on legislation simply as a sign of being obstinate.

Quote Originally Posted by otoc View Post
    LOL, in spite of what a few around here state, I am extremely conservative when it comes to the design of our system. The vision that produced it was nothing short of brilliance.

The balance of power shifts back and forth as the needs of the nation dictate. Sometimes parties gain too much power and are put in their place as this election cycle showed.

To your point about the President, he will now be flying with his GOP parachute. Something I've desired for some time.

You know, the GOP will have to adapt and change as much as the Dems will have to as a result of this election. Both need to look forward to the the next Presidential circus.

Agree. And well have to see how dems react. I certainly hope they focus more on governing than an endless series of investigations. Bad move and it will be perceived as vindictive.

Recall. I have no issue with the traditional/centrist JFK/HH democrats.
    But I cant accept McGovern as the "expert" on what to do with Iraq.
    Or Carter deciding our Iran policy.