Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Bump this thread when Dems take control of the house and the senate

Quote Originally Posted by Hefner View Post
    the AP has just declared the democrat John Tester of Montana the winner. One to go!
    In Virginia, Webb is ahead of Allen but I can already see a recount/lawsuit fiasco brewing.
    Main Rig (BOINC Rig #1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1974 View Post
    In Virginia, Webb is ahead of Allen but I can already see a recount/lawsuit fiasco brewing.
    Yup! It is going to be a few weeks before we this is all sorted out. Too bad for Virginia. It is going to be negative attention no matter who wins

Democrats take control of the Senate
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061109/...mocrats_senate

By LIZ SIDOTI and BOB LEWIS, Associated Press Writers
    13 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Democrats wrested control of the Senate from Republicans Wednesday with an upset victory in Virginia, giving the party complete domination of Capitol Hill for the first time since 1994.

ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Webb's squeaker win over incumbent Sen. George Allen (news, bio, voting record) gave Democrats their 51st seat in the Senate, an astonishing turnabout at the hands of voters unhappy with Republican scandal and unabated violence in Iraq. Allen was the sixth Republican incumbent senator defeated in Tuesday's elections.

The Senate had teetered at 50 Democrats, 49 Republicans for most of Wednesday, with Virginia hanging in the balance. Webb's victory ended Republican hopes of eking out a 50-50 split, with Vice President Cheney wielding tie-breaking authority.

The Associated Press contacted election officials in all 134 localities where voting occurred, obtaining updated numbers Wednesday. About half the localities said they had completed their postelection canvassing and nearly all had counted outstanding absentees. Most were expected to be finished by Friday.

The new AP count showed Webb with 1,172,538 votes and Allen with 1,165,302, a difference of 7,236. Virginia has had two statewide vote recounts in modern history, but both resulted in vote changes of no more than a few hundred votes.

An adviser to Allen, speaking on condition of anonymity because his boss had not formally decided to end the campaign, said the senator wanted to wait until most of canvassing was completed before announcing his decision, possibly as early as Thursday evening.

The adviser said that Allen was disinclined to request a recount if the final vote spread was similar to that of election night.

The victory puts Sen. Harry Reid (news, bio, voting record), D-Nev., in line to become Senate majority leader. He has led the Democrats since Tom Daschle, D-S.D., was defeated two years ago.
    Main Rig (BOINC Rig #1)

I want to bump too! Yahoo!

PQ5-EM/E7200 Intel/Bios .0204 9.5x 345mhz @3.3Ghz
    PC6400 Corsair 2GB, Stock HSF
    Cooler Master 201, Enermax 495AX-VE
    200GB Hitachi SATA, 120 GB WD
    BenQ DW1620 DVDr

HOORAY

The Democrats didn't win this election.

America did.

First of all as a native Floridian recently transplanted I am sooooo glad to see that we are NOT involved in any recount issues!
    Now let us see if the newly elected officials can actually do what you think they were elected to do.
    Just ask the Conservatives if they got what they wanted the last few years..
    "The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church"[Ferdinand Magellan]
    "If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." [Albert Einstein]
    "With or without (religion) you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."[Physicist and Nobel Laureate Steven Weinberg]

Just felt like gloating a little bit.
    Main Rig (BOINC Rig #1)

Well? Im not gonna kill the fun for you guys. Far as I can determine? Fair and Square.
    The Republicans all but begged for this turnaround. Not the voters but the dopes in Congress. A culminination of preventable issues that came back and bit them on the butts.
    I wont however make more of this that it actually is: A repeat of what weve seen over the years. See rolleyes for some statistics.

But enjoy your fun.

^^^
    Yes there have been switches in power. This time has restored an opposing power to contrast and challenge the Executive branch. That's democracy and the people have spoken. I take for granted the concept that both Congress and the Executive change hands. That's politics and government.

What bothers me is that the rhetoric causes those changes too late in many ways.

You mention that concept alot. So whats the solution? We dont allow a majority in Congress that happens to be the Presidents party?
    Will you be advancing the same arguement if a dem Prez is elected in 08 or will that be "different"?

And when you come down to brass tacks? You actually think the Dems have a working ideological advantage in the Senate?

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    You mention that concept alot. So whats the solution? We dont allow a majority in Congress that happens to be the Presidents party?
    Will you be advancing the same arguement if a dem Prez is elected in 08 or will that be "different"?
    do a search jimz. I've always said that what helped make things work when Clinton was in office was Congress being controlled by the other side.

For example, Clinton didn't begin to deal with the issue of balancing the budget until the GOP pushed him on that mandate. Look where we were then and now.

If a Democrat gets into office next time around, I certainly would hope that the GOP regains their position in Congress after a couple years to balance the power and philosophies.

I'm but a simple Greek who believes absolute power corrupts absolutely.

As to your later question to me.

That's not for me to decide. It's up to the Democrats to show everyone what they can do to reverse the tide of polarization and restore credibility to the reputation of the nation.

Personally, I think they blew it by putting Dean in place after supporting Kerry. Both are lightweights in my mind. What they needed was an organizer and visionary.

Wes Clark came the closest to that, but he was a noob when it came to politics. When he got up on stage with Michael Moore during the last election I lost interest in him. Early on in his campaign I was a party to a totally mismanaged teleconference between him and his supporters where he was to speak to us via a cell phone while driving in a car. The problem was he was in New Hampshire where any local knows that mountains cause varied drop outs. And drop out he did. My ex and I wound up hanging up and going to bed that night with the reminder that politics is not just vision, it is organization.

He's remained very active in party matters and we'll just have to wait and see if he has matured to come to the forefront. I'm actually looking forward to this next presidential campaign for I expect many from both sides will be coming before us armed with new visions and balanced by the expectation that we will hold their parties accountable as this election showed.

Pelosi, in spite of the fact that she has rubbed many the wrong way, comes from an old political family and understands what it takes to organize to make things happen. She may decide to rule with an iron hand that will cause rifts within her party. Time will tell if she eases up after she gets the Dems to speak with a party platform that the populace understands.

That's where Rove shows his brilliance: a simple message that the people can back. His problem is that message was directed towards voter blocks only to gain power, not to put this country on a direction that ensured a longterm advantage for the nation.

Not being a Democrat, I would love to see more parties inserted into Congress, but that is regrettably not the case at this time.

Lets go point by point cause you have alot of points/info.

Then Ive misunderstood you around two party issue. My bad. Somehow I had it in my head you felt the system was fundementally "flawed" when one party controls all.

Democrats to show they wanta get by the polarization? Where did it start otoc? It started with the 2004 elections annd a rather obstructionist position by dems in my view. But whatever. Thats a perception issue.

No arguement with the rest of what you say. Were never that far off from one another on mechanics of how stuff works.

My main caution is for Dems not to oversell their recent victories.
    Congress is still congress and theyll still be taking a lead from the President.
    Unless they want "polarized" politics.